Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

quabbin reservoir

quabbin looks like the perfect place to ride does anyone know if mt biking is allowed in the woods and if there are any good spots to ride. thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Quabbin is the most UNFRIENDLY place for mountain bikers in New England. It is actually patrolled by enviro-police who will impound your bike then fine and/or arrest you. No really.

And I don't mean even on the trails, but also if you are caught riding on the dirt and gravel roads! (Yep, they allow diesel logging trucks, pick up trucks all over the forest, and motor boats in the water...but bikes and bikers are seen as too dangerous).

Many attempts have been made to rectify this but the recalcitrance of the powers that be is amazing! It sucks, but it's the way it is-the last stand of the hateful old hiker groups.

The Areas surrounding (and in fact often bordering) the North and western Quabbin has some of the best and most extensive biker-built singletrack in New England (The Petersham trails, etc).

If you ride in the Quabbin...be careful.

the test dummy
    i wanna go there now i can run from epa.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Mar 2006
    My experience hiking on the Quabbin lands is that there isn't really too much in the way of riding anyway... unless you like logging roads.

mtbr member
    well thats what im saying. looks like lots of logging trails but ive also hiked on a good amount of single track type trails. im so tempted to just go out there with a few people with some shovels rakes and cutters and make a few nasty trails. honestly i think we could get away with it as long as were not having fires in the woods or anything. IDK Im down for going out there and exploring if someone else is

Mar 2006
    I think you're better off steering clear. Don't be one of "those guys" making a bad name for mtb just because you feel like it would be a good place to ride.

mtbr member
    hmm all good advise but im telling yall. this place is PERFECTT

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Listen,

A few years ago a beautiful guerrilla trail on the Quabbin was discovered by the authorities...and subsequently destroyed by said authorities--which stinks, but the larger story was that several big public meetings took place to further decry mountain biking throughout the whole region and bike notables from petersham caught a lot of semi-official heat.

There are some guerrilla trails all along the quabbin, ride them if you like, but I'd be very wary of getting out and making new trails there.

I'm not anti-guerrilla trail building either...but you have to judiciously pick your spots--this isn't a good one.

If you want more great trails in that area than you can ride in a month-look up the petersham boys-they run a EFTA fun ride in June, and the mother of all new england epic rides in August.

Be wise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the good reply Liam. Guerrilla trails in the Quabbin hurt us all in many ways. 413 please just think for a minute. DCR oversees the Quabbin - ever do a summation of the miles of legal trail on DCR property? Do you really want to jeopardize that?
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    i wrote a letter to deval patrick haha never did something like that before. im sure he will never read it but maybe he will....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A much better option than building without permission. Thanks
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Mar 2006
    Unfortunately the Quabbin area is all about political lobbying power, not logic or reason.

It would be neat to consider the potential for a loop around the entire reservoir of singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchase86

It would be neat to consider the potential for a loop around the entire reservoir of singletrack.
    yea that would be nice. think if i went to the police station they would be able to help?

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MassRider413
    yea that would be nice. think if i went to the police station they would be able to help?
    I think if you were professional and just asked what avenues you could take to figure out the potential, you have nothing to lose.

With that said, I think there's a 0% chance. That land is all protected. It's not simply a matter of getting interest, suitable signatures. You will have a hard time convincing people that run-off wouldn't potentially contaminate the reservoir (among numerous other roadblocks). Keep in mind there's very little you can do in that area as a result of the current regulations. The only reason fishing is allowed is because the right lobbyists were in place during construction of the reservoir.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cchase86
    I think if you were professional and just asked what avenues you could take to figure out the potential, you have nothing to lose.

With that said, I think there's a 0% chance. That land is all protected. It's not simply a matter of getting interest, suitable signatures. You will have a hard time convincing people that run-off wouldn't potentially contaminate the reservoir (among numerous other roadblocks). Keep in mind there's very little you can do in that area as a result of the current regulations. The only reason fishing is allowed is because the right lobbyists were in place during construction of the reservoir.
    Good luck, but for what it's worth you're wasting your time. I say let the friggin hikers have that place. There's plenty of legal single tract to ride. Besides, I beleive you should pick the battles that you can win. This battle you won't.

mtbr member
    haha i won! i got a call from the state police dept in boston saying i can ride in the designated areas that allow personal access. we can ride there

Mar 2006
    I could be mis-interpreting what you said, but I think they are re-affirming that you can ride on the bike paths near the dam. Which is true.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    quabbin is nasty riding!!!

mtbr member
    quabbin is truly some of the best riding around. there is miles of sweet down hill/single track. quabbin is the future of riding in MA

Mar 2006
    Glad to hear you're on a solo mission to make mountain bikers look bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MassRider413
    quabbin is truly some of the best riding around. there is miles of sweet down hill/single track. quabbin is the future of riding in MA
    Careful, if they catch you, they'll take your bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

GIVE UP MASSRIDER143, THE QUABBIN IS OFF LIMITS, IT SUCKS BUT THATS IT. THERE IS SO MANY MORE LEGAL PLACES TO RIDE WHERE YOU WON'T RUIN IT FOR US OTHER MTB. IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO GIVE US A BAD NAME. I HAVE LIVED IN THE AREA FOR 42 YEARS AND THERE IS A BOAT LOAD MORE AND BETTER PLACES TO RIDE. JUST LET THE QUABBIN BE, IT IS OFF LIMITS AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletech

GIVE UP MASSRIDER143, THE QUABBIN IS OFF LIMITS, IT SUCKS BUT THATS IT. THERE IS SO MANY MORE LEGAL PLACES TO RIDE WHERE YOU WON'T RUIN IT FOR US OTHER MTB. IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO GIVE US A BAD NAME. I HAVE LIVED IN THE AREA FOR 42 YEARS AND THERE IS A BOAT LOAD MORE AND BETTER PLACES TO RIDE. JUST LET THE QUABBIN BE, IT IS OFF LIMITS AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT.
    I couldn't agree more!!! MTB's already have a bad reputation among most non-riders. At least the ones I've run across. I'm not saying that it's justified, but it's reality. If you want to pursue legal ways of expanding the riding in Quabbin then go for it. But don't build illegal trails because you make me look bad and that pisses me off!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Stop Feeding This Troll!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast