mtbr member

PVNEMBA epic II- The B'early. Details enclosed.

Liam's 8 hour, 40 mile, par excellence epic was an awesome precursor to next week's PVNEMBA event - The B'early epic.

Stuff you already know:
    If'n you ain't heard about this, see here: PVNEMBA epic #2 - The B'early epic. September 19
    Otherwise, Sunday September 19, 8 am, Batchelor street parking lot. Riding until we've hit almost every trail at B street and Earl's. Expect that this is all you will do next Sunday. No foolin'. I made plans for 6 pm this evening, post-Liam's ride (which started at 8 am), and I was late.

What to expect: 8-10 hours of riding, 40 miles, perhaps a little more. There is less than a mile of road/fireroad. It's all singletrack, bay-bee. We'll be holding a good pace and will not regroup at every intersection. We're going to keep the train moving and keep the extended stops to a minimum. It won't be relentless, but it will be a good, all-day pace over very difficult trails. If you don't like the sound of that, keep reading, because we're going to try to accommodate the folks who want to do part, but not all, of this ride.

Rest stops: We will be riding Batchelor street first. About 2/3 of the way through (2.5 - 3 hours?), we'll pop back to the parking lot for a rest stop. Next stop: Notch visitors center for intermission. Midway through Earl's, we'll take a rest stop at Chmura road. All rest stops will be stocked with basic replenishment and water. Of course, you should bring your own stuff too, but you know that. You're not a knucklehead.

New developments:
    1. I recognize that many people are interested in doing this epic and riding these trails, but don't want to do the expert-level pace. So, if anyone wants to volunteer to lead another group at a more laid-back pace (though you'll probably only get one side done), I'm happy to share the route with you. Email/PM/post here if you are willing and able to fulfill that role. Ride leaders must be familiar with the trail network (duh). We'll post details about this if enough people express interest.

2. Because of how easy it is to bail on this ride, it seems silly to have the anti-bailing attitude that is necessary on the Deerfield Ridge epic. So after much talk, here's what we've come up with -

Option 1: Do the whole damn thing.
    Option 2: Ride all of Batchelor street
    Option 3: Ride all of Earl's.

Option 2 is easy - meet us at 8 and split from the group when we head over to the Notch. From where we split, getting back to your car is easy, and I can provide succinct directions to return via singletrack.
    Option 3 is also easy - meet us at the Notch visitors center at about 12:30 or 1 pm, and you can join the ride. We will still be holding a good pace, but we will have already ridden for 4-5 hours.

IF YOU'LL BE IN ATTENDANCE, PLEASE LET US KNOW SO WE CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY. Did I say that loud enough? Lemme say it again. IF YOU'LL BE IN ATTENDANCE, PLEASE LET US KNOW SO WE CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

As a final note, and as I said in my previous post, the B street parking lot is kind of small, and we want to save room for other riders. If it's not too much trouble for you and a friend to carpool to this epic, other riders will greatly appreciate it.

See you there, suckas!
    Chaz
    chaznielsen AT gmail DOT com

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Trust me people, he doesn't smell!

mtbr member
    Will we be seeing you on Sunday?

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Unless I can zip over and serve water at the rest stop while sitting in a lawnchair, no.

I've been off the bike completely for 2 weeks now and my achilles are still getting worse. Basically I can make it up the steps to my house before they start hurting. It's not been fun. I miss the woods a lot.

Sounds like the weather will be perfect for you all this weekend. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looking at the new and improved ride offering Chaz has posted, I'd have to think this should be the best attended ride of the year in Massachussetts-Guided rides of the legendary B street, earl's or both with a group of tralented locals at the helm? Throw in food stops and a post ride feed? Perfect fall weather on tap-this is the one to make!

Steam Donkey

Drops?

Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    We'll be holding a good pace and will not regroup at every intersection. We're going to keep the train moving
    Sounds like folks who are having trouble keeping up, will get dropped...
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHare
    Sounds like folks who are having trouble keeping up, will get dropped...

Aiyup. Otherwise, this ride will continue into Monday.

Steam Donkey
    T-35 hours! Eat and sleep mode has started!

This is going to be the REAL DEAL!!!

PV-NEMBA Fall Epic Series... We're not happy, til you're not happy!

achiever
    It's on like Donkey Kong!

Steam Donkey
    Preems paid at the end of ALL Rattlesnake trails!!!

Steam Donkey

Awesome!

RATTLESNAKE was conquered!!!

What an awesome ride! We hit most every trail on both sides of the street. Ended up being just over 37 miles.

See our track here: www.I_aint_got_a_gps.com

Smelly, What was the trail laundry list that we hit on the B St side? Some nasty climbs in there.

Hearty crew of about 13 finished! Only two flats on the day and no other mechanicals. Fan friggin tastic ride!!!! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah, that was fun. We done good - 37 miles, 36 on singletrack, lord only knows how many feet of climbing.

Trail list, with the big climbs bold.
    Entrance Exam
    Far East
    Far Side
    Far Out

down Pete's Wicked
    down Lizard King
    Technical
    Chaz's/Pete's Wicked (out and back)
    Private Investigations
    down Missing Persons
    up fireroad to Lost & Found
    down Twister
    up Serpentine
    Serpent God
    down Technical
    down Viper
    down Serpentine, back to parking lot...
    Far East
    Exit Exam
    lower Serpentine
    up IMBA
    Em's Gem down
    up Viper
    up Raptor
    up T-rex
    Go to Earl's...
    Return from Earl's...
    Jacob's Ladder
    down Rollercoaster (except the backside. toughest climb of the day)
    Yellow Brick Road
    Pizza and beer.