mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Potential relocation to Amherst area

Chances are we will be moving in August. Need input on towns within half hour drive from Amherst. We need a to find a reasonably priced home (around 150K) in a low crime, quality town. Property tax info if you are willing to share. Any input would be great. I've done some research but know nothing of the area. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You want to look North, East or South East of Amherst for the best commute. RT 9 (Hadley) towards Northhampton can get pretty bad. Check Belchertown / Granby / Ludlow. The schools are good and they are all fairly convenient to I-90 and I-91.

Do you have a spouse that works? The greater Springfield area is where most of the jobs are.

More info would be beneficial. Where are you coming from? What do you expect to find for $150k.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Myself, wife and one son (3 months old) My wife is interviewing with a school in the town of Amherst. I am planning on going to school at UMASS so I will only be working part time. We are looking for a preferably 3 bedroom/2 bath single family but am seriously considering buying a duplex and renting out one side. As far as priorities, safety is number one, then convenience, investment quality. We do not mind a fixer-upper. We just got done rehabbing a 104 year old home so we are not strangers to sweat equity. We are coming from Wisconsin BTW. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Amherst / Sunderland / Hadley are all really nice communites but very expensive. Nice single family homes will probably be over $200,000.

There are beautiful small towns around the Quabin Res. that may interest you as well.

I believe there is a day care / nursery school on UMASS.