mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pedros Fest 2006

I always enjoy this event but can some please explain WTF happened this year with the food court and beer garden. I realize some food vendors might not make a ton of money and I'm not sure it's worth their effert but that was horrible! A fajita or rice and beans was the selection or a bad food van...no brewery just some guys who ran the food section selling off some beers....everything else was good with smaller turn out. Anyone else feel like something was off this year??

a once and future expert

coffee, bands (or lack thereof) and MUD!

This was my first Pedrosfest and my impression was that the vendors were well represented from all aspects of cycling, but comparitively, there was nothing approaching a balance between basic food services and the # of industry vendors.

We drove up in an overstuffed Forester because our bike rack decided to break while loading up the night before so I had to carefully pack our camping gear and two bikes into the back leaving no room for our cooler. We only had food for energy recovery and snack time so we didn't bring any of our prepped food that needed to remain cold assuming we could rely on our friends' supply of food and what we thought the vendors were going to offer up. But after having experienced the standing 45 minute waits for basic things such as a cup of coffee the execution felt way the hell off the mark. Not to mention the hidden beer garden (where was it anyway???) the R rated Ride-In movie (meaning no kids allowed) and the band Saturday night that I'd expect to hear in the lodge after a day of skiing. Good musicians, sure, but definitely not crowd rocking like the ones that played in year's past.

What it comes down to is you can't control the weather, but if that's what caused such a derailment in how this event was run then hopefully lessons will be learned for next year. I know this isn't the first Pedros' with lots of rain so I really don't know what happened. On the up side, I found the trails well marked, easy to find and certainly challenging, highlighted by the 30 mi. rain and mudfest up and down Jiminy and around Balance Rock S.P. on Saturday. Not sure if I'd go back, it was a steep price for admission to begin with... Will have to see 'bout how I'm feeling next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was kind of wondering what was up with the food as well. We didn't want to cook in the dark (yes we left the lantern at home, where it belongs apparently) so thought, lets just go hit up one of the vendors. Hmm, where are the vendors?! We ended up dining on Pringles and chocolate chip cookies :-).

I've never been to Pedro's Fest before and it was fun, but the admission was S T E E P and the showers were beyond lousy. It seems like vendors could make some money there, there was certainly enough people!
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

agree

Yeah I agree weather etc...but this is the 4th year at this venue and this was still completly unorganized. I showed up at 7 when the event regestered and the STILL haven't figured out how to get people their goodie bags, wrist bands and send them on their way...sat there for an hour AGAIN...I think it's just the people are so slow and back country and is the way they normaly move and get business done...completly frustrating AGAIN

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What was up with those "goody" bags anyway? Mens body spray? What am I supposed to do with that?! For that price, they could have thrown in SOMETHING! On the flop side, everyone working the event was super friendly (the medical guy came up to me to find out why I wasn't covered in mud and did I need help finding the trails {we had just gotten there}). But:
    price was steep
    showers were lousy
    food vendors were non-existent (good thing we came prepared!)
    t-shirts were still full price as we were leaving Sunday at 3:30pm
    The Mtn Hardware rep was walking around and the b/f and I each got a kick-ass mtn hardware hat just cause we were sporting the Haven 3 tent!
    EMS hooked me up with an awesome multi tool because I was sporting a techwick shirt when I stopped by their booth....
    Titus hooked me up with a hat for returning the bike we test rode, clean.
    It was fun :-)
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Man...I wish the Mountain Hardwear peeps spotted my tent (Approach)! I could have used another hat. I haven't been to Pedro's since 2002. I did enjoy myself, but as others noted, the food offerings weren't very complete. The beer was OK until they ran out of everything except IPS - ick...but then again, I did get my last few beers free.

I was camped at the top of the muddy hill climb, as it became on Fri night, so we had some free entertainment. Fortunately, we got out on the trail early Sat so we avoided the rain completely.

- Chris

mtbr member
    It was a good time. Can't make all the people happy all the time. But waiting for ever for a cup of BAD coffee was sad . riding was fun people were great . Food .....what food ? seems like things are changing. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think there will be a next year, but perhaps it's time for the festival to move locations again. Lanesborough almost didn't approve the festival coming back several years ago due to festival goers who were behaving badly. I agree the food tent was disappointing as I remember there being 6+ vendors in the past each serving up some really good grub, and my first year (2001) there was a school who raised money by serving up a KILLER pancake breakfast. Not sure what is up, and obviously the folks who run the festival are trying to figure it out as well. this was the first year for the new organizers, so maybe next year will be even better. I do hope that they organize some events better as the cook out for the charity ride was almost 2 hours later than they had scheduled and was meager at best. Also, I was surprised that they ran out of XL and 2XL jerseys before 3:00 ON THE FIRST DAY......that was just poor ordering. Anyway, I still enjoyed myself and will continue to go back, just hope they work hard to bring it back to its previous glory.

not really a noob
    the dude in the trailer had killer cheeseburgers but other than that and the sinister jump jam 2006 sucked
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]