mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Out of towner: Rental + Trail advice

I live in Washington state and will be in Cambridge for a week (or a bit more) at the end of July. I'm considering trying to get in a mountain bike ride while in town and don't see much information on how to get that lined up.

Any advice on bike shops near Cambridge that rent/demo a decent 5"+ travel trail/AM bike? I found one place but they wanted $100 a day for a Specialized Enduro. Local shops here demo that (and better) for $50 and even let you pick it up the night before.

That aside, how far would I have to go to get to any trails worth riding? Could I get there by public transportation and a little pedaling or would I need a car? I typically ride relatively technical/advanced trail riding. I'm capable up or downhill but don't do large gap jumps or nasty drops. I leave that for the younger boys with soft bones.

Would I be better off just wandering around in the city and drinking lots of beer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky35
    Any advice on bike shops near Cambridge that rent/demo a decent 5"+ travel trail/AM bike? I found one place but they wanted $100 a day for a Specialized Enduro. Local shops here demo that (and better) for $50 and even let you pick it up the night before.
    Welcome to M*******chusetts. Expect everything here to be more expensive.
    $90-$100 seems to be the going rate to demo a bike for the day.

That aside, how far would I have to go to get to any trails worth riding? Could I get there by public transportation and a little pedaling or would I need a car? I typically ride relatively technical/advanced trail riding. I'm capable up or downhill but don't do large gap jumps or nasty drops. I leave that for the younger boys with soft bones.

Would I be better off just wandering around in the city and drinking lots of beer?
    You might want to give the Middlesex Fells a look. On their website they have directions using public transport.
    http://www.fells.org/visit/

Also I would ask the bike shop you contacted if there is a local place to ride.

Hope this helps.
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79
    Welcome to M*******chusetts. Expect everything here to be more expensive.
    $90-$100 seems to be the going rate to demo a bike for the day.
    It could be that the one shop I know has a good fleet around here is just really cheap. Cost if living in Seattle is higher than Boston (according to my weak research) so I wouldn't really expect demo bikes to be 2x the cost.

If it's going to be $100 I'll probably take the beer option instead! Thanks for the other info though.

mtbr member
    Southbridge bikes has free demos.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky35
    It could be that the one shop I know has a good fleet around here is just really cheap. Cost if living in Seattle is higher than Boston (according to my weak research) so I wouldn't really expect demo bikes to be 2x the cost.

If it's going to be $100 I'll probably take the beer option instead! Thanks for the other info though.
    Nah buddy. Cost of living is higher in Boston. I was in Seattle a month ago for a couple of weeks and I was surprised at how much less things cost, specifically food and housing. I think the real reason rentals/demos are so much $ is that the biking scene in Seattle is pretty gigantic compared to ours.

Like someone else said the Fells are the closest decent riding that you'll find near Cambridge. Tons of great riding in driving distance though, but it sounds like you are w/o car. Beer is another good option but keep in mind that most places close around 1. Enjoy your stay!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Rider of Bikes
    Most of the info you could want is on NEMBA.org There are a ton of places you can access close to Boston. Lynn Woods, Willowdale, Harold Parker are the premier places north of the city and easy access by train. NEMBA.org should set you straight though. I hope this helps, other wise you'll have a sucky time drinking lots of beer at our famous brew houses.

mtbr member
    If I am around and have some free time while you are here I have a bike you can use if it fits you and I can get you out for a ride. I did this for a guy that came over from CA before and it worked out great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Nah buddy. Cost of living is higher in Boston. I was in Seattle a month ago for a couple of weeks and I was surprised at how much less things cost, specifically food and housing. I think the real reason rentals/demos are so much $ is that the biking scene in Seattle is pretty gigantic compared to ours.
    I'd expected as much (after living near San Francisco and near Los Angeles and having coworkers in Boston who liked to think it cost more) but I can't find any data that says Boston costs more than Seattle. Pretty similar if anything (some say slightly more, some say slightly less). I'd guess it depends highly on neighborhood (in both cities). Maybe Seattle data is skewed by Bellevue and the eastside.

That's all beside the point...

Thanks for the information. I'll look into whether or not the trails sound worth the cost/effort.

Any recommended watering holes in or near Cambridge?