mtbr member

Is Otis and Trail orf Tears snow covered?

I live in Worcester and we just got wacked with yet another snow storm. I'm looking to ride on Wednesday and wondering how Cape Cod faired with this latest storm. Any info from locals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    I'm planning on hitting Otis tomorrow from 9:45 AM to around 2:30 pm. I've heard there's no snow and the snow depth map seems to confirm that. NERFC Snow Depth Map
    ToT looks to be better than Otis, but I know Otis better so I'm heading there. There will be a couple of us riding if you feel like joining.

mtbr member
    Did 22 miles in Otis today. It's running just fine. The expected derailleur eating twigs are scattered on the trail, but no problems from them today.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Great info, thanks. TOT must be running really sweet too.

mtbr member
    Good that you got a ride in, the Cape is expected to get anywhere from 2-5 inches tonight.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Ouch. That blows. Looks like it'll be the road bike this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Good that you got a ride in, the Cape is expected to get anywhere from 2-5 inches tonight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What did the Cape end up getting for snow?
    Maps show snow in Otis...but ToT looks clear?

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    What did the Cape end up getting for snow?
    Maps show snow in Otis...but ToT looks clear?
    It's snowing right over most of the lower Cape now, (8AM Fri 3/22) the ocean effect snow kicked in overnight, and continues. There's about 3-4 inches of new snow in Dennis/Harwich area, according to a local source. Trails drain well, so a day of thawing temps could change conditions quickly.

Check the weather map on SemassNemba's webpage (takes a second to load), there's a tab on the right side that has video feature that links to "chaserTV" live webcams, IE: live cams in people's cars. I've seen one cam that always shows up in the Dennis area.

Weather Map

edit: just heard that there's up to 9" new snow in Brewster, my guess is riding on the Cape wont be an option this weekend...
    Last edited by C.P.; 03-22-2013 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    This map, which showed 4-6 inches yesterday, look favorable today for Cape riding.
    NERFC Snow Depth Map

Did anyone give it a go today?
    I'm trying to get a Sunday AM ride in before work at noon up here in Boston. Tall order I know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    This map, which showed 4-6 inches yesterday, look favorable today for Cape riding.
    NERFC Snow Depth Map

Did anyone give it a go today?
    I'm trying to get a Sunday AM ride in before work at noon up here in Boston. Tall order I know.
    I can't speak for what's on the Cape, but that map is useless. We've got 1-3 " in that gray area ( Duxbury, Wompy)

mtbr member
    I was in Falmouth earlier, though I didn't get out on the trails. There isn't much snow left there. Some remants in the shade and the north side of hills. I'm sure there are still some snowy spots, but a lot of it is probably clear.

Whether or not its dry enough, I don't really know. Otis drains well, but I've seen some rutting at times like this, with the freeze-thaw and half melted snow and all. Sorry if I sound wishy washy, but like I said, I wasn't on the trails.

My $.02, its probably rideable, but maybe too wet. It seems all of eastern MA is jonesing to find the dryest spot to ride tomorrow. Hell, all of New England.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I was in Falmouth earlier, though I didn't get out on the trails. There isn't much snow left there. Some remants in the shade and the north side of hills. I'm sure there are still some snowy spots, but a lot of it is probably clear.

Whether or not its dry enough, I don't really know. Otis drains well, but I've seen some rutting at times like this, with the freeze-thaw and half melted snow and all. Sorry if I sound wishy washy, but like I said, I wasn't on the trails.

My $.02, its probably rideable, but maybe too wet. It seems all of eastern MA is jonesing to find the dryest spot to ride tomorrow. Hell, all of New England.
    Thanks for the update. I've been riding Otis a lot this winter and definitely don't want to tear it up... Such troubling first world problems to deal with...

mtbr member
    Otis was pretty awesome today.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I had a feeling it was good to go, but didn't want to be that guy that sends everyone out onto sloppy trails.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    TOT was 99% dry. Excellent condition considering the snow fall. Thank you to the gang that did all the trail work this winter
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rode TOT this morning, huge thanks to everyone who put in the time cleaning it up, trails were perfect.