mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Otis for Mixed-Skill Couple?

My girlfriend and I will be staying in Mashpee from September 25th to the 29th. We plan to ride the rail trail one day and Otis one day, our riding days will be Saturday and Monday. Is Otis a decent spot to ride with a beginner girl on a hardtail and an intermediate guy on a fully? Is there a decent loop of a couple hours that we can do together?

Anyone interested in playing tour guide in Otis for a day? Trade after ride beers for a guide?

David B.

mtbr member
    You should be fine at Otis.

While the trails are not marked its still hard to get lost. You can almost always hear traffic noise from one of the two highways that surround Otis.

The trails are not really technical at all. Mostly smooth and fast and flat with some small to medium, short rolling hills. There are some small rocks (and some large boulders!) throughout the trails but everything can be easily avoided/ridden around. Also, dont worry about mud because Otis is almost always bone dry. Great drainage there.

I forget when hunting season is but it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear some blaze orange.

You should be able to easily hook up with a group as Otis usually always has riders there on weekends. Not to worry though, there are more than enough trails there so that you can ride without it seeming like a bike parade.

Have fun!