Printable View

• 02-16-2013
    safme
    Otis conditions
    Anyone know what the conditions are like at Otis. Planning a ride on Sunday

Thanks
  • 02-16-2013
    Metalhack
    They are getting 4-6 inches of snow right now. Are you on a fat tire?
  • 02-16-2013
    safme
    Otis conditions
    No. Is it needed? How much snow is already on the ground?
  • 02-16-2013
    Metalhack
    Not sure...I'm heading down that way later today. I'll report back for ya then.
  • 02-16-2013
    Metalhack
    It's spotty now but tomorrow is going to be unrideable.
  • 02-16-2013
    safme
    Otis conditions
    Thanks. You saved me the trip down
  • 02-18-2013
    vice grips
    So does any one one have an update?? Looks like it should warm up a bit with some rain, so what's the time line for getting back on dirt in Ottis?
    Thanks
  • 02-19-2013
    Pedalphile
    There's no substitute for a report from feet on the ground, but this helps give a rough idea:

Snow Depth Map

-Pete
  • 02-20-2013
    ramshackle
    Looks better than I would have thought on this webcam
  • 02-20-2013
    icecreamjay
    The rotary is misleading. Its in full sun and melts off well before the snow in the woods, especially the north facing hills. Unfortunately I'm not close enough to give a useful update. I know its unrideable here in Westport, but Falmouth got a lot less snow during the blizzard.
  • 02-21-2013
    longshanks
    Don't know about Falmouth, but Yarmouth trails are not rideable: 3-4" of slippery sticky slush with a crust on top. And there are many blowdowns to clear. So I would seriously doubt you'll get a good ride in Otis.
  • 03-01-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Can anyone update the conditions at Otis?
  • 03-01-2013
    the mayor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    Can anyone update the conditions at Otis?

From a day ago:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts...l#post10199130
  • 03-02-2013
    adumb
    just got back from a ride at otis. like usuall the place isn't muddy at all. only saw like two little five foot spots of snow and that was it. there are alot of down tree and branches. i picked up and it seem like other people have picked up alot of it but there is still alot of sticks and branhes waiting to break a spoke or derailler hanger. there are also alot of tree down. i would guess i had to pick my bike up over 15 of them. they are definately good enough size to need a chainsaw. overall it was nice to get out for a ride in the 40's jsut don't think you are going to be hammering without interuption
  • 03-08-2013
    JimmyD442
    Can anyone speak to current conditions ? Planning to go Saturday morning. At noon today Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce said; just a dusting
  • 03-08-2013
    Severum
    The current webcams show a bit of snow.

OnCape Webcams

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyD442 View Post
    Can anyone speak to current conditions ? Planning to go Saturday morning. At noon today Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce said; just a dusting

• 03-08-2013
    JimmyD442
    Thanks Severum, I saw those earlier and some posted stills also. A fine local shop said that it was a little mush out there, so if its no good I will continue on to Nickerson cause its definitely snow free there !
  • 03-08-2013
    Gabriel J
    I work on the backside of the trails, and when I left work today the snow was no longer accumulating. Plowing this morning, there were some areas of up to 5-6" on the roads near the trails.

I would say pass on the riding at Otis, due to the fact that the ground is going to be pretty soft after the last two days of weather. Can't make a report on Nickerson, but ToT is not gonna be great either with the combo or rain/snow/rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyD442 View Post

• 03-08-2013
    JimmyD442
    Thanks, Gabriel ! I'm sure that everyone that reads this thread will appreciate your input

Jim
  • 03-08-2013
    adumb
    only been to nickerson once before so i don't really know the trails well. Does anyone have a gps map they can load up of a ride they did? Hopefully it will guide me to the better trails.
  • 03-08-2013
    dirtdan
    Hmmm. I was thinking of trying Otis Sunday morning but it sounds like it may be a bad idea. Does it really get muddy there where riding will hurt the trails? I'm always happy with a dirty ride, but don't want to damage the trails.
  • 03-09-2013
    SofaKing Fast
    Nickerson is clear and dry.
  • 03-09-2013
    dirtdan
    Any ideas on Otis? I'm trying for a prework ride tomorrow and Nickerson is going to be too far to travel and make it happen...
  • 03-09-2013
    SofaKing Fast
    All of the trails that run N to S were snow free. The trails that run E to W have 1" of sticky snow.
  • 03-09-2013
    dirtdan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    All of the trails that run N to S were snow free. The trails that run E to W have 1" of sticky snow.

Thanks! That sounds like a good ride to me.