mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Otis on the Cape

I was thinking of making a trip to the cape to check out the trails at Otis Air Force base, but heard a rumor it had been closed for security reasons. Anybody else heard this?

I did check out barnstable three weeks ago, the trail of tears and loved it, fast, rolly polly, hard pack and rockless/ rootless. A nice change of pace from nam where I mostly ride!

The extended trails into sandwich are too soft due to motorcycles tho, which is such a tragedy, as its ultra roller coaster there. I was on a ss 29er, maybe w/ gears its doable.

STI member
    I ride there every weekend. Take the 151 exit off of Route 28. Bear right, and park at the clearing on the left.
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/MA/ma-otis_map.JPG

Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info Matt, good to hear its open. It sounds like Trail of tears w/ some tech thrown in.

Next Friday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Fsr

how are those trails off 151? Are they technical at all, rock gardens,logs, boulders, climbs, drops, perhaps some skinnys? I am moving down to the cape from the other cape north of boston, and the trails up here are one of a kind with tons of supery techy goodness. I'm just looking to find out what I am getting into?
    Are there any other good tails in the area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hahaha. there's no technical riding on cape cod. if anyone ever says differently they're dilusional or just don't ride anywhere else.
    however... that doesn't mean the riding sucks. our trails are fast and it's not as flat as you might think. the little hills are short but can be pretty steep. there's a section of trails in Sandwich across street from TOT that will put you at your max HR for more than a few minutes. so the trails are fun but if you're looking for really good tech stuff look elsewhere.

this opinion is coming from an expert level racer who probably has ridden more off cape on weekends this summer than I was here. I've seen alot.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Otis has some very fast, smooth, swoopy trails. Watch out for deep sand in some spots. There's a few sections that are technical--mostly navigating very large bolders by going over or around--some with a few feet of drop. You don't get the jagged rocks and roots like sections of vietnam, lynn woods or the fells which is where i do most of my riding. I think Otis is much more fun though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    oh for sure it's fun! after a day at a rocky technical area it's nice to ride the cape.

I don't do drops anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

nights rides, barnstable

anyone do the night rides with the guy(s) from EMS? i heard they hit the Trail of Tears around 530, just wondering if anyone here goes and if it is a good ride?

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    anyone do the night rides with the guy(s) from EMS? i heard they hit the Trail of Tears around 530, just wondering if anyone here goes and if it is a good ride?
    Shut up, beotch!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

geez hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Shut up, beotch!
    loneliness is a stinky cologne! eat me, or are you thirsty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

anyone...

Has anyone here on the cape ridden with these people?

try driving your car less
    Has anyone here on the cape ridden with these people?
    just go riding with them... Roger is very fast and a nice guy.

join NEMBA. tons of group rides on the cape

www.nemba.org.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, I have but not this year. Roger knows all the trails and is definately a mtb enthusiast. now that the race seasons are over I'll start going . they also leave from EMS on sunday mornings at 7 am into Yarmouth trails. Roger is known to get people together for some of the best winter rides. low temps are ignored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

fsrmatt, or whoever rides on the cape

Quote Originally Posted by FSRmatt
    I ride there every weekend. Take the 151 exit off of Route 28. Bear right, and park at the clearing on the left.
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/MA/ma-otis_map.JPG

Matt
    Will you let me know the next time you hit the trails? I would like to jump in for a ride. I won't be around till the 28th though. cheers

( )
    Nov 2004
    any problems wiht hunting season there? I know it's not allowed on Sundays. Does anyone ride on Saturdays there? When does hunting season end?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have and I've never seen hunters but I know there's hunting. have seen hunters at TOT. I just wear a bright colors but don't own any hunter orange. I saw other riders wearing very bland colors though.