I like to ride my bike.

NorthShore Classic - Anyone Going?

Is the race even still on? I can't preride the course, but I'd imagine it is super muddy. Anyone going tomarrow? If you respond, state what bike you'll be on, I just think it's cool to say "hey, your the guy on mtbr.com!" It'll be my first race and I'm nervous as h3ll.
    -But it should be fun...and muddy.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Im not going but good luck on the race...

mtbr member
    well you missed out on a MUDFEST. . they shortened the course to 7.5 mile laps (orignially 10). Pretty crappy course though. Lots of boring/extremely muddy double track, some fields(also boring), and a pretty sweet but waaaaay too short winding single track. The race was also extremely disorganized. No food, no hose, mass start which was mass confusion, and a 2.5 hour wait for results (which were completely f*d, 35 protests) i won the sport 19-29 class and results stated that i was a DNF. . . other than that it was a blast. . . . . . mud is fun but expensive. . .gonna need a new chain, and break pads after that mess. i love mother nature

Who are the brain police?
    I drove past cars leaving the event. The bikes had a big time heavy coating of mud..
    Do the race sponsors fix the trails afterwards? I can only imagine the destruction.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    i know they are having a trail maintenance day at some point coming up. Dont think sponsors are involved though. . .although most spots where it was really muddy should be fine when they dry out. The single track was dry and held up well. THe spots that were bad were extremely wet mud, it would fill in as soon as you rode through it, so once it dries up and people ride on it, the trails should be ok

I like to ride my bike.
    I was there, first race and took 4th place for beginner in junior. My bike was so muddy after that race. I had fun because I ride there all the time and sorta knew the place. They never had any prizes because of all the confusion but they announced that they'd mail 'em out. It's top 5 deep, right? The start was awful and so confusing, I almost went out with the pro/experts. But, I ended up in the right place. It was so annoying as so of these riders had no skill. You know at the very beginning how there's a steep climb? Well, no one could make it up, so here I was riding my bike up it with all these idiots walking up and they were pushing and shoving so, I fell down because they because they were in my way. By the time I got clipped in again, I was almost in last place. It seemed like I was the only one climbing stuff on the bike - not on foot. Oh well, it was my first race and I had fun.

-Lets all hope it's dry next time...
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I think its five deep, thats the way its been at previous root 66 races.

A little tip though:
    When your racing the object is to get from the start to finish as quickly as possible. so if that means that gettting off your bike and walking is quicker than trying to clip in and ride, then walk.

As for training. I ALWAYS attempt EVERYTHING i encounter on the trail. Sometimes ill try a climb 5 times before i get off the bike and walk. A lot of people i ride with wont even attempt hard obstacles, and they never get any better. . . sounds like you have the right idea! . . . . remember . .. no falls. . .no balls