mtbr member
    Jul 2005

No car, living in Cambridge

Hi,

Living in Cambridge going to school with no car: where can I ride? Don't mind pedaling for an hour for good singletrack and fun climbs and descents, and maybe even an hour and a half if the riding is really that great. I'm used to 20 mile loops in the woods (I'm from NY).

What do you recommend?

Do you know of any groups (NEMBA etc) looking for volunteers for trail maintenance?

Finally, what's the deal with Middlesex Fells? Can you bike singletrack there or not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ephie
    Hi,

Living in Cambridge going to school with no car: where can I ride? Don't mind pedaling for an hour for good singletrack and fun climbs and descents, and maybe even an hour and a half if the riding is really that great. I'm used to 20 mile loops in the woods (I'm from NY).

What do you recommend?

Do you know of any groups (NEMBA etc) looking for volunteers for trail maintenance?

Finally, what's the deal with Middlesex Fells? Can you bike singletrack there or not?
    The closest places that are fun are probably Cutler Park, Blue Hills, and Private Reserve. Lots more a little further away too . . . i'll pm you a map.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks!

underachiever
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, there is a little bit of singletrack in the marked "Mountain Bike Loop" at the Fells, but not enough of it to make it worth it, IMHO. Good workout, but not too interesting.

There are plenty of rides you can get to.

The Fells
    Blue Hills
    Cutler
    Beddy/LLP
    Belmont/Rock meadow
    + all kinds of conservation land scattered across Lexington/Waltham/Weston

There is probably more I'm missing.

You can also take the Subway or the commuter rail to places further out, HP, Wompatuk, all kinds of stuff on the North Shore etc...

Pick up a copy of Jeff Cutler's book to get started.

When it comes to mtb you could do a lot worse riding/living in the Boston area. Oh yeah NEMBA is always looking for help check the website
    Last edited by (Tom); 03-11-2010 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Oh yeah this book is good too- Mountain Biking Near Boston This is the one I used when I first started riding around here.

Just a flesh wound

Wompatuck

You can take the commuter rail to Wompatuck which is in Hingham, Cohasset, and Norwell. The Cohasset stop has a trail into Wompatuck across the street.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    You can take the commuter rail to Wompatuck which is in Hingham, Cohasset, and Norwell. The Cohasset stop has a trail into Wompatuck across the street.
    This is true but that trail is gated at times since the MBTA refused to complete the project and is trying to get DCR to pick up the tab. You might have to weasel around and/or climb over (not that I'm recommending this).

To the OP, Fells is by far the closest thing to you. Wompatuck is also accessible via subway (redline) if you're willing to ride ~7mi to reach the park. Not a bad ride depending on your fitness level. Keep in mind the Ts rules on bikes on the subway which you can find here http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/bikes/ (scroll down).
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I lead mtb rides on sundays from Ferris Wheels bike shop in JP, if you don't have a car you can score a ride from JP if you'd like there are typicaly extra seats/ rack spaces

popular destinations are wompatuck, the fells, blue hills, and cutler

rides start april 4th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phipsi102
    Yes, there is a little bit of singletrack in the marked "Mountain Bike Loop" at the Fells, but not enough of it to make it worth it, IMHO. Good workout, but not too interesting.
    DCR is releasing new rules coming out at the end of April; and not for anything but most of the folks I know just ride it and enjoy it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You should be able to ride to Middlesex Fells from Cambridge. There's is a designated mountain bike loop which is fun. It takes roughly an hour and is a good mix to technical singletrack, and a few fire roads.

There are a lot of trails at Middlesex which are illegal for mountain biking. Many still ride them regardless of signs. I'm not saying I poach the trails, but the hiking trails are a blast to ride, as are the trails around the reservoir.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Clown
    Nov 2009
    how is he gonna ride from cambridge to canton? belmont is nice if your real close, but not worth a long ride. hook in with riders near you that head out to lynn woods/fells or just enjoy the urban assaults