Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Night Time Riding

I am fairly new to mountain biking, been riding for about four months, and have been enjoying some of the trails that SE mass has to offer. But the days are getting shorter and it is starting to get more difficult to get a decent ride in before it gets to dark to see. So I guess my question is, are there a lot of people using lights for night riding in the area? and if so where is the best place to ride at night?

guru meditation
    Yep I just got back about an hour ago, a bit chilly but good riding. I'd get two lights, one for the handlebar and another on the helmet. Dress well for this time of year and blaze orange is good to bring along if out near sunset (hunters). You can pretty much ride anywhere but be careful, some people come back to the car to find a ticket from cops, kinda rare I think. I ride the trails I know the best and stay out a bit less than a day time ride, it's fun and creepy out there in the dark!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DCR parks close 1/2 hour after sunset.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Silly rule when it's dark before and after work for about 1/4 of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    DCR parks close 1/2 hour after sunset.
    We've never had a problem riding or parking at Wompy or Blue Hills after dark.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bought my first real lite, the first NiteRider meant for biking (it was a converted SCUBA unit at that time) in 1993, been riding in the dark regularly since. I recommend sticking to trails you're familiar with. The added challenge of riding in the dark will make them more exciting than usual.

Only place I can recall being spoken to about not riding at night was Great Brook in Carlisle. Basically it was a Carlisle cop saying 'It's dark and cold and I don't wanna have to come drag your ass out of the woods if you get hurt' sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Hi, due to busy schedule with kids and work, I'm pretty much only getting out now at 5am or 9pm. I run a NiteRider Lumina 700 on the bar and a NiteRider Lumina 350 on my helmet. I added the helmet light after a few rides and being able to light up something by moving your head makes a *huge* difference. Riding in the dark changes everything. Every trail looks and rides differently to me and is fun - once you get used to the dark outside of the lit zone. I agree that it's safer to ride trails you know since it's harder to determine what awaits beyond the headlights. If you only run with one light, then at least pack a small flashlight in case the main light goes out - or in case you crash and break the one light and need to fix something. Good luck!
    Last edited by JumpinStumps; 10-30-2013 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I put in weekly night rides at Otis on Cape all winter long (unless the cape somehow gets enough snow to not allow, then I wait a day or two for it to melt). I use a NiteRider as well but know guys who have home-brewed setups. I started with handlebar mount but prefer the helmet (as most guys I know do).

I love night riding, feels like new trails, I even feel like I ride cleaner. I ride alone a lot but have had some close calls. I'd recommend getting out with someone (especially when cold sets in, mechanicals or crashes could get nasty).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agree on the helmet mount being the way to go if you're going to run a single unit.
    I really like the new one piece Niterider units. Prices are great on them these days too. I stopped using the really high end ones many years ago and have no problems riding with just a $100 MiNewt unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinStumps View Post
    Hi, due to busy schedule with kids and work, I'm pretty much only getting out now at 5am or 9pm. I run a NiteRider Lumina 700 on the bar and a NiteRider Lumina 350 on my helmet. I added the helmet light after a few rides and being able to light up something by moving your head makes a *huge* difference. Riding in the dark changes everything. Every trail looks and rides differently to me and is fun - once you get used to the dark outside of the lit zone. I agree that it's safer to ride trails you know since it's harder to determine what awaits beyond the headlights. If you only run with one light, then at least pack a small flashlight in case the main light goes out - or in case you crash and break the one light and need to fix something. Good luck!
    I should have also added that getting a taillight is smart too if you're on any roads for a portion of your ride. Flashing reds are super-cheap ($10). I use this one: NiteRider TL 5.0 Taillight - Landry's Bicycles

mtbr member
    to paraphrase what I once read in and article on nite riding. Grown ass men have grown as responsibilities = night/dark morning riding. I am fortunate that I live off the back of the north side of Callahan State park which has a good mix of ups and downs that are tame enough to let off the brakes at night but still fun enough to make it worth heading out early/late. I used older niterider stuff for a while but over the past 3 years have invested in a couple Exposure diablo lights. One on the helmet one on the bar. Perfect for ripping around my backyard trails at a good clip, I have also used them at vietnam and they were more than sufficient for hitting the small midsized jumps in the dark.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just got an exposure maxxD light and its incredible. Put that bad boy on the bars and i have a serfas light for my helmet. It definitely helps alot having two lights if you got the dough.

It really helps having something on your head when your riding tight stuff and need to look around a corner as your turning ( just having the bar mount can be a bit sketchy when your turning in to the dark abyss).

even after night riding for several years it still kinda freaks me out when i am riding solo

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got in trouble for night riding at LLF the other day (I would call 6 pm day even if its dark). Someone actually was looking for me since he must have seen my car. He even mentioned that the police was on their way. That made me hurry and get out there quick. I'm not sure how strict they are with night riding in other places, though.

I run the CREE XML lights that sell for about $20 each on Amazon. Was skeptical at first, but they do work and stay on the handlebar on even the most technical terrain. Well, after I used Locktite on the screw and bought additional Velcro straps to attach the battery.

Kai

guru meditation
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKai View Post
    I got in trouble for night riding at LLF the other day (I would call 6 pm day even if its dark). Someone actually was looking for me since he must have seen my car. He even mentioned that the police was on their way. That made me hurry and get out there quick. I'm not sure how strict they are with night riding in other places, though.

Ahhh bummer... Looks like neighbors are taking a look closely:
    Help Reduce Trailhead Conflict at the LLF

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. I'm not a regular at LLF and didn't pay attention to any access issues.

Kai

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So on the night ride subject, what's enough light in the woods? I have a 100 lumen headlight, that I wouldn't be comfortable offroading. How much do I need?

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ights%7Cpage:2

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yeah park far away and ride in a mile or so

neighbors near LLF hate what that parking area has become so
    they will enforce rules. never, ever been an issue if
    you ride in...it is all about parking issues

blet drive
    I think the more light the better. Try it out on a small trail to se what you think.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Minimum, 300 lumens on the bar and the helmet. that's what I use for commuting. 5-700 would be better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I agree... I go 1000 on the bars and 500 on the head. even though it gets a bit pricey it is well worth it, espeically if you like to ride techy stuff

blet drive
    keep us posted
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Not to be a jerk, but someone said they are calling the cops and you ditched out of there? lol..

To take a phrase from another, I'm a grown ass man myself, and I would tell that person to go stick it. If cops actually have time to chase me on my bicycle, there really is a problem with that cop and his/her department. I mean really, what is a cop gunna do, yell at you? lol... Your riding a damn bicycle!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride with a few guys that, like myself, have been running nothing more than an older Minewt 150 on the helmet for years now and really don't feel much need to 'upgrade'. I say just get out there and run watcha brung.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but someone said they are calling the cops and you ditched out of there? lol..

To take a phrase from another, I'm a grown ass man myself, and I would tell that person to go stick it. If cops actually have time to chase me on my bicycle, there really is a problem with that cop and his/her department. I mean really, what is a cop gunna do, yell at you? lol... Your riding a damn bicycle!
    Ticket and tow your car. The LLF is not conservation land. It still has the possibility to be developed, we need to play nice with the town and neighbors. The parking is actually in Lexington.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Ticket and tow your car. The LLF is not conservation land. It still has the possibility to be developed, we need to play nice with the town and neighbors. The parking is actually in Lexington.
    this ^

LLF or PR is a single unique chunk of land, not yet conservation but also not
    develop-able without major investment for flyovers of a 6 lane highway. developers are chomping the bit to develop it

But it is smack dab in middle of million dollar home territory in Lexington and the residents -do not want- your cars clogging up the one puny lot.

mostly the noobs and weekend warriors who are not always there, drive in and park and take over the place and use it as a public restroom and changing area and the residents are P-I-S-S-E-D about that. it is best to park well away and ride the bike in on paint mine or shawsheen connector trails, all stealth like. once in there no one cares and won't give you any crap day or night. it is the parking area usage that will ruin it for us all....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast