Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nickerson SP, TOT and Otis Update

Forecast for Friday and Saturday: Sunny and low 40's.

Anyone have an update as of Wed/Today for Nickerson, TOT and/or Otis?

Based on that, does anyone local have a well-founded prediction on conditions after a day in the 40's?

mtbr member
    I rode tears twice this week with regular MTB tires (non studded) and it's pretty good. There has been a lot of foot traffic, cx skiiers etc etc to pack down a nice rideable trail from the big ring lot. I rode a 4.5 mile loop 2 times around and was able to keep up a pretty good average speed and only had to walk one hill.

Not sure about Otis or Nickerson but Tears is definately rideable. It's all snow covered but the traction has been good as long as the temps are above 35 degrees.

There are some loops that have deep snow that you would want to avoid until further melting. If you find a loop that has been ridden, my recommendation is to stay on it and ride it a few times instead of exploring. Should be good this weekend and beyond. The forecast doesn't look warm enough to melt all of the snow but some additional trails should open up as the deeper snow melts.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Anyone have a handle on how much snow melted today? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I hit the Freetown SF yesterday, fire roads were ridable, but the smaller trails weren't packed enough.

I might be heading to Falmouth today, and if so, will check the trails out at rt 151/28.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Eager for any updates.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode the trail of tears today a little after noon. Lots of good melting has been going on. Shaded areas had frozen ground that proved slippery a few times, but nothing I would consider unsafe. Had an awesome time, got to ride with a friend of mine that I hadn't ridden with since '96!

The sweet '94 Topanga at rest:

customized
    Sep 2003
    Gabriel, thanks for the update. Are the conditions in the picture about the same throughout the trail system?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would say that snow cover was average in the picture..We hit some long clear spots, and some muddy/slush as well. Worth a ride for sure.

mtbr member
    there's a ride at TOT at 8am sunday, Race Ln lot (Jct of Race Ln and Farmersville Rd on google map)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If my in-laws weren't coming for breakfast i'd be there...Hopefully next decent weather weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Didn't have enough time to ride today, but did take a walk about 100 ft into Otis today. Lots of melting, but still a few patches of snow , as well as ice. I'll wait until it melts a bit more before I head out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Didn't have the motivation to wash the bike after unloading it...Took a pic this morning, you can see now that some of the sandy areas were definitely melted....

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Good job! Cape - off the beaten path

Really Nice longish ride...a local route. Worked both sides of midcape Rt6 and blissfully cruised the usual playgrounds. Chain is taking a bath today

edit:
    South facing trail bits are best bet...weather coming should cure everything, or..........

edit:
    1-18-10 ToT Update....Most washed away. I STAYED OFF the Race Lane Side...way too moist. 149 - Otis Atwood - Service Rd (the older goods) are in great shape, Big Rock area, Service Rd doing good too, especially earlier side of day. Stay high, play it right and your living.
    Last edited by Wiz; 01-18-2010 at 04:50 PM.

MC MasterShake
    Any updates? I'm hoping you guys got mostly rain. I'd like to ride dirt this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I"m 1/2 hour from Otis, but I'd say most of the snow is gone, however the ground might be a bit soggy.

I think the temps this weekend are supposed to drop below freezing, so that'll give us a nice, hard packed surface to ride on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I work on Otis and live near the ToT...One word: MUD. I think Sunday might be the best day for riding, I'll be going one or both days this weekend. Little to no snow cover left here at this point, but the deep frost in many parts prevented the heavy rain from draining rather than puddling up and making swampy areas abundant.

mtbr member
    Rode today, most of the mud is gone. Last night's hard freeze and sun from today sucked a lot of the moisture off the trail. The forest floor is mostly wet leaves and pine so it's a little bit slippery if you'red riding a singlespeed, but otherwise the traction is okay.

Bring some clippers to help with the trail maintainence & expect lot's of ducking from bent over branches. Even the fire roads have melted off pretty good. There was a guy tooling around out there in a Jeep and had to winch himself out of the hill at Lookout /Primal. He was making a little bit of a mess of the place and also had what looked like a 5 year old kid in the back without a seatbelt on. Hello?
    Last edited by newking; 01-21-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Today - It's pretty wet in ToT's lower spots!!!

Friday update for ToT:

My God, Please Stay high...from a local's point of view, I hate to think about the footprint from mega people leaving from race lane parking lot...park elsewhere "powerlines" and/or maybe try something a little different (even sandwich side would help)...there is so much else to ride on the Cape. We all know, Otis, ToT and the Nick are all awesome, but maybe try spreading out & try some exploring this time of year. The trails are awesome everywhere down here...tell'n ya...do some recon it's a frigg'n blast. You can ride from the bridges to falmouth or provincetown, if you got the balls. Frost level down to 2-5" in the low areas...be cool, thanks!

Don't get me wrong - I be riding Sat - Sun too, till the RAIN starts (2"-3" late day/night)

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Good tips, Wiz. I'll prob park at Race Lane but take the fire road (Farmersville) out to the good stuff rather than the single track (Big Ring).

Yarmouth trails off exit 7 are in good shape - Hyannis Ponds side, boy scouts, etc.

mtbr member
    Otis was sweet frozen hardpack this morning. Rode from 9 to 11:30 and didn't encounter anything soft. It should be great tomorrow morning, the afternoon is supposed to be pretty warm and it'll probably soften up. Looks like it may not rain after all, from the forecast I'm looking at now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode the trail of tears today with a couple friends..Weather and conditions were superb considering it's the final week of January. Saw a lot of other people out enjoying the day. Snow cover was non-existant..It felt like a ride in Oct/Nov.

Taking a break to snap a pic of my buddies. Hope the weather keeps staying in our favor!

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Good job!

Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hows it looking down there? xc ski's or bike?

Nostralpicas
    Nickersons fine only 1inch of crust which is probably gone as I'm typing this.Can't speek for tot but I know they got a little more.
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We got about 4.5-6" in Sandwich yesterday..a lot of melting happened today, but I can only imagine that the conditions are quite poor with the slush and close to freezing temps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast