mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New rider in SE MA, Where to Ride?

Hello,

I am a just getting into mountain biking and live in the Mansfield, Norton area. Can anyone recommend some local beginner trails for me to ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Your in Mansfield so borderland is the perfect place to start. Ride the wide trails that go around the pond. Then when you feel up to it start hitting the other trails. The other trails are really techy but if you can learn to ride them then you can ride anywhere. Foxboro state forest is great too.

mtbr member
    For a more mellow experience than Foxboro or Borderland try Adams Farm in Walpole http://www.adams-farm.com/

mtbr member
    F. Gilbert Hills State Forest in Foxboro is right next to Mansfield, so that's close. Good riding there for most abilities.

Borderland State Park in Sharon is good, too, but the singletrack is NOT beginner-friendly.

Also check out some fast, non-technical singletrack near Linwood, MA called "Ribbon Candy" and "Goat Hill". Most of the trail is in or adjacent to the Blackstone River and Canal Historic Park.

For other New England trail resources, I've found the Google Map in a Woodsguy's signature to be extremely useful. Far better, in fact, than the (outdated, old, or just wrong) info on the NEMBA riding zones website.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hope re: where to ride?

I also agree that NEMBA Riding Zone is a good way to go.

If you've got an Apple iPhone, I wrote an app that's only 99 cents and covers lots of eastern MA trails. It may have more of a northern bias, but for less than a buck, it certainly lets you know what's out there.

Also check out local shops for group rides. Good way to learn the trails in a fluid way rather than be watching signposts and reading maps!

Good luck!

RK

mtbr member
    Massassoit state park in Taunton is a pretty good place for a beginner as well. Not a ton of mileage, but some nice trails and pond scenery.