mtbr member
    Jun 2014

New to Mountain Biking as well as forums....

Okay, so Im new to both MTB and forums.... I live Boston and the best I have done is a 20 mile ride along the Charles. Sad I know. I need some trails and some help trying to get out hit much better trails maybe even link up up with fellow bikers. I ride an, entry level Felt Q520 its been good to me for the last two years. I used it to get around town now I been getting more serious about riding.

Any feedback? Like. I said I, still figuring out how forums work. So feel free to hit me with a Q&A or any advice. I appreciate and thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You have the hang of the forums…keep this in mind:

Forums in general have died down as Facebook Specific Pages and dedicated web pages have siphoned off a lot of the focused traffic on generalized forums. So, look up the Greater Boston NEMBA web page and Facebook page (as well as those of other NEMBA chapters as well) and be sure to post queries there as well.

Also, find web pages of Local Bike Shops and clubs (often one and the same) …nothing will get you more plugged into a local scene as quickly as hitting a few group rides, etc.

Greater Boston/ North Shore and Nearby Blackstone Valley has many, many riding opportunities (Start with the Fells of course), it's a great true cosmopolitan area to get into mountain biking from.

Bike's a Bike, your bike is fine. Eventually you'll buy a new bike, and that will be even more fine. 26er tires can be found dirt cheap these days, if I were making any upgrade on the cheap…it would be putting Fatter, softer, better tires on my 26er entry level bike (like a schawlbe hans damp or some kick but Maxxis minions).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The easiest resource for you might be to just drop by a few local bike shops and ask them for some trail maps and where some good beginning/intermediate trails might be.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    New to riding? Thats awesome! Don't worry about whether or not your bike's entry level. If you like it and it can handle the type of riding you're doing...ride on! You're gonna get a lot of advise on tires. A LOT!! So here's my two cent worth. First, there is NO tire that can handle every type of terrain. So figure out what type of terrain you ride the most and then try several different tires until you find the one that handles the best. Also, learn how to maintain your bike. Basic maintenance like how to change a flat, lube the chain and cables, set up your suspension (if you have any) and basic wheel truing are valuable skills. Hooking up with other more skilled riders is also a great way to increase your own riding skill. Alright, thats it! Welcome to the club! Now go out and get dirty!

mtbr member
    Recon - I live in Boston too. And got into mountain biking within the past year.

It's tough getting to places outside the city during the weekdays. The Fells (just a few miles north of the city) can sometimes take me 45 minutes to get to after work on weekdays. Unless you're willing to deal with traffic, most of your "big" rides will happen on the weekends.

That being said, I would recommend going to:
    1) The Fells
    2) Russel Mills in Chelmsford
    3) Blue Hills near Quincy

If you're in any type of semi-decent physical shape these places are good for newcomers. At least, these are the places I started. All of them have literature online regarding appropriate trails for beginners and maps. Check out Greater Boston NEMBA too (they have their own site). I'm not a member of GB NEMBA yet but will probably sign up soon - I know they have weekly group rides at a number of spots near Boston.

Bike shops: I mostly use JRA Cycles in Medford, just north of Boston. They are more mountain-bike oriented than the other shops in the area. I've been to the Cycle Loft too in Burlington and have always liked them as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well Im a runner or used to be. Spent 10 years in the Army certainly did alot of aerobic fitness there. But I think all that with combination of all the gear I used to wear and body armor too a toll on my knees... so to keep up on it I switched to MT Biking im currently riding about 20-25 miles twice a week....

mtbr member
    A couple of mellow places to get your feet wet near you are Adams Farm in Walpole and Cutler Park in Needham.

Adams Farm | NEMBA
    Cutler Park | NEMBA

While you're on the NEMBA website, look around, you'll find a lot more.

Class Clown
    The Fells is a nice place. What part of Boston are you in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hello, I live in JP and am just getting into the sport this year. I just attended the Boston NEMBA chapter's Monday beginner/novice ride last week at Beaver Brook North. It was my first group ride and the club president was there to give instruction. I picked up a lot of great tips.

I'm looking to hook up with some weekend riding partners. PM me if you want to hit a trail on the weekend sometime. The weeks suck for me because I work all the way out in Burlington.

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 06-27-2014 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In and around Boston are a few great places to check out if you're new to Boston, especially Cutler Park (Needham/ Newton), Beaver Brook North/ Rock Meadow (Belmont), The Fells (Winchendon), and Landlocked Forest (Burlington).

A 30 minute drive can land you in a bunch of other spots, too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have been to both Cutler and Beaver Brook. They were both good places for me as a beginner since the terrain was not too challenging.

This past weekend I was at Noanet, which is a little further out. It was a lot of fun and had a ton of trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Burlington? Ride the land locked forest.

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^ Or you ride there because it right at the end of your street

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    well, both actually. it is the home gym of bike trail system. no true rest spots, just grunt after grunt then some switchbacks and grunts and grunts, and it really delivers as the scenery is incredible, tree coverage exceptional (don't bake in sun) and ...if you want I will show you...
    ^^I'll take you up on that offer, especially if it's where I think you are referring to. I ride LLF all.the.time. Wouldn't mind a nearby change of scenery :-)