Thread: New Guy

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010

New Guy

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm brand new to the MTB scene and am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys... I live less than two miles from Lynnwoods and can't wait to get started (come on April 15th).
    It will be good to get some simple riding in before then to get a feel for the bike though. I bought it today and pick it up tomorrow. I went with a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, and hopefully it will keep me happy for a while..
    Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you guys on the trails.... once I figure out where they are, and how not to fall down..lol

guru meditation
    Mass is a great place to ride, welcome to the cult

Clown
    Nov 2009
    welcome. make sure you have shin/knee pads and elbow pads. cutting your teeth in lynn is like being dropped in the meat grinder

MC MasterShake
    Welcome to the club!

Do yourself a favor and add some variety to your riding. Lynn Woods is fantastic riding but can be very frustrating and painful for a newbie. So while you're cutting your teeth at Lynn also try some the other spots like Harold Parker, Greenwood, Dogtown, etc. Trying other spots will help you meet other riders, develop new skills, and give you more confidence in your riding. Plus these other places don't close so you can ride them anytime as long as the conditions are suitable.

Cheers!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Here she is

the test dummy
    welcome, if you ever go to Vietnam (it's in Milford) look for me I'm there all the time i practically live there on weekends. i ride a jamis Parker 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    welcome, if you ever go to Vietnam (it's in Milford) look for me I'm there all the time i practically live there on weekends. i ride a jamis Parker 1.

I was thinking about buying a used Parker 1, but it didn't work out they look like nice bikes

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by FacePlantinNewB
    I was thinking about buying a used Parker 1, but it didn't work out they look like nice bikes
    i love mine, and was it this one you were looking at?
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    no the one I saw was in the boston CL I think.. I asked the guy to send some pics but never heard anything, I did see that one though, it was a little more than I had to spend on a first bike

the test dummy
    no the one I saw was in the boston CL I think.. I asked the guy to send some pics but never heard anything, I did see that one though, it was a little more than I had to spend on a first bike
    i have a fully and rode my hard tail the other day and i may switch to a all mountain hard tail there more fun to ride.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Selling the Rockhopper,,,,
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

the test dummy
    Selling the Rockhopper,,,,
    why
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Grabbing a Stumpy Full suspension

the test dummy
    Grabbing a Stumpy Full suspension
    ooohhh cool post pics when you get it
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Just a flesh wound

Learn on a hard tail

Better technique and better choice of lines.

over my head
    buy the Stumpy. you will progress faster and be more confident. After that, buy a Turner and rule...
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Everyone says better technique and choice of lines with a hardtail, but honestly I guess i don't understand what the difference is.. I'm gonna learn to get through the trails with either. My goal is to go ride and enjoy myself.. while it is priority to some to get through a rock garden or patch of roots on the smoothest, "best" line, to me it's about getting through and having fun. Your still gonna shoot for the best line I just won't pay quite as much if I miss it a little.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Meh I cut my teeth on a hardtail stumpy then got a fs stumpy and honestly I didn't notice a huge difference in my riding, other than fs being way more comfortable on my hind quarters. I wouldn't worry about it affecting your technique much. Just make sure you work on developing good form and you'll be fine. As for picking lines, I usually pick the harder ones intentionally... Best way to learn!