Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010

New Bike.... Again..

Well I sold the Rockhopper that I bought a few weeks ago because the opportunity came along for me to pick up a new bike.. Here's what I ended up with...

2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

I'll get some better pics up but It was almost dark by the time I got home.. I also grabbed the 520 clipless pedals and some shoes but now I'm wondering if I should get a little bit better on the bike before moving to clipless, or if I should just go with it right from the start

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Nice bike. As for riding clipless, go for it. Practice getting in and out a few times while leaning against something to get the feel for it. Then do the same thing while just riding around. It will come naturally quick enough. If those pedals have adjustable tension set it to the loose setting to start, to make clipping out easier.

mtbr member
    have you ridden it yet? What do you think of it?

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Other than in the parking lot yesterday.... no. The rain had to screw it up. Of course the first riding I do will be in a field on flat ground trying to get a better feel for the pedals. I can tell you it's lighter than my rockhopper hardtail was ( which isn't saying much), and the pedaling and overall feel of the bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You know, the Stumpjumper FSR has been, is now, and will continue to be the gold standard for no-nonsense, reliable, top-flight dual suspension trail bikes. Good purchase, don't think about it again for five years, and now go ride!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the 07 stumpjumper fsr expert. Love it. Been riding it 2 years and never had a single issue with it other than flat tires so far.

As for clipless, if you don't have a ton of riding under your belt expect a lot of pain on the trails for a few months. The people I know who started running clipless before getting a year or two of experience (myself included) had many, many crashes and scrapes. The people I know who had about 2 years or more of experience before they went clipless had very few issues and made the transition in a couple of rides.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Quite an upgrade from your HT (I saw a pic of it on the NEMBA boards). Enjoy!

And definitely practice on the clip-ins for a half hour or more while leaning against a wall, then practice in a grassy field, then be prepared for an occasional awkward fall here and there on your first half-dozen or so real rides, and then you should be fine.

At least that's how it worked me for me, and I was a newbie when I got em.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello
    I have the 07 stumpjumper fsr expert. Love it. Been riding it 2 years and never had a single issue with it other than flat tires so far.

As for clipless, if you don't have a ton of riding under your belt expect a lot of pain on the trails for a few months. The people I know who started running clipless before getting a year or two of experience (myself included) had many, many crashes and scrapes. The people I know who had about 2 years or more of experience before they went clipless had very few issues and made the transition in a couple of rides.

I'm leaning towards platforms until I feel like I'm more capable of staying on the bike better.. I'm on and off so much right now I'm sure it would be tough.. I rode for a little while on the clipless today around the neighborhood, and did fine but I'm worried it will make me hesitant in techy areas.. I'd like to know I'm capabel of clearing them before worrying about being clipped in... still back and fourth though

mtbr member
    IMHO This is a good time of the year to get on clipless. No one is really going full speed yet and you can take some easier stuff with out feeling like its waste. Anyway, you will fall over a few times and you'll be fine as long you don't stick your arm to break the fall. The bike will absorb the fall, and you should let it. After a ride or two you'll be fine and you'll never look back.

My first time clipless I went for a swim when I fell over, looking back it was pretty funny.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Thats the part that keeps telling me to stick it out... I guess once they become second nature they won't be keeping me from trying anything. At this point it's all new to me anyhow. And while I'm just learning, I guess this is the time to gradually build my confidence.