mtbr member
    May 2014

Need some advice- spending some time in west wareham MA

I will be heading up to west Wareham for a couple weeks starting on the 16th for a family vacation. I would like to get out and check out some of the trails in MA but donít know where to start. I was hoping someone could point me towards a bike shop with a decent price on rentals and some XC type trails close by. My main goal here is to check out the riding scene in MA before shipping a bike from AZ. We do this vacation every year and if I like the riding enough will probably get a cheap spare rig to keep in MA.

~Joe

mtbr member
    Joe, I'm in Falmouth over the bridge on Cape. As far as rentals, the shops nearby are: Serious Cycles in Plymouth (with the Pinehills out their backdoor), Corner Cycle in Falmouth (home to Otis), Sail World in Buzzard's Bay, and Sea Sports in Hyannis (Willow Street trails and TOT).
    I'm not sure who rents and what they rent and what the cost is, best to google and call them.

The areas I listed above are your best bet for classic Cape XC riding. The Cape rides differently than the rest of New England, but its a great time.

There are other trails in Wareham and Plymouth that are mostly made by dirt bikes (hell most of the trails here were) but they aren't ridden a whole ton.

If you get a steed PM me or hit up Cape Cod NEMBA on Facebook for a tour or the skinny on a group ride (Sail World also does group rides).

I spent time in AZ riding in the White Mountains, the trails here are actually sort of similar. Flow, not a ton of rock/roots (but enough to keep you busy), lots of pines (needles) and sand. Though I remember getting stuck there in a thunderstorm and it wasn't sand so much as clay that cake my bike.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Steve pretty much nailed it. Cape riding is fun, fast and flowy and not at all like the "typical" east coast rock and root fest. Also a lot more climbing than you may expect, the cape doesn't have big elevation, but it is by no means flat. Trail of Tears has a good map and signage so its a good spot to hit by yourself. Otis is really fun, but you'll need a guide to really get the most out it. There is some OK riding in Miles Standish too, and you don't have to cross the bridge.

If you don't mind driving an hour or so, there are also a lot of great spots that are more typical of NE trails. There are lots of spots along rt 3 and 495 and IMO Rhode Island has some of the best riding in NE at Big River, Arcadia, Lincoln Woods, and Diamond Hill.

Here's the lowdown on all the common ride spots in NE: Trails | NEMBA

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for all the help. You guys have given me alot to look into and just made my vacation that much better. I was dreading having to run every day just to keep the lungs pumping. Out of the trail and shops you guys have sugested which would be best for a good 20+ mile ride that i could do directly from the bike shop with minimal road time? BTW jay that site you linked is awsome i wish more places had sites like that.

~Joe

mtbr member
    Joe, NEMBA has both a great site and is a great organzation. I, personally, think they embody the good IMBA wants to do but it works better because we are stubborn New Englanders and stick together...except for Vermont, they are so stubborn they have their own; VMBA.

That aside, Serious is literally at the trail head to Pinehills. Corner Cycle is in downtown Falmouth, this would mean a ~6 mile ride on trail OR a wonderful spin up the Shining Sea Bike Path to Otis. Sea Sports would require a similar distance road ride to Willow Street. TOT is too far to ride and make it worth it.

I can guide everything but Pinehills well (I can put a stellar Otis spin together), but plenty of NEMBA folks can also help. If you need help transporting there might be some possibility there too. Maybe for a beer or two... My Subaru is a bit small but guys have trucks.

Cape Trail System Mileages: Pinehills ~10-15 (my guess, this doesn't include stuff people rarely ride that is mostly moto trail), TOT ~20-25, Willow Street ~10 is the main loop but adding other areas easily gets over 20, Otis ~25-30 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    From seasports to willow is only 2/3 short miles and if you ride a mile and a half to sandy pond you can ride 4.5 fun singletrack miles to get to the main willow stuff.

Other good options from wareham would be foxborough or borderland. More techy than the cape.

Bike barn in Whitman prolly has rentals/demos. See Kevin.
    rog

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Man you guys are stellar. It looks like sail world rents Specialized Camber bikes for 75 a day and is pretty close to otis. Iíll probably ride there one day out of the vacation. Itís pretty close to my momís house and the videos on YouTube look like it would be a blast. It will be very different not ridding in 115 degree weather with no shade. Iíll post again when I figure out what day I am riding in case you guys want to meet up. Iím not the strongest of riders but love to get out and have fun thatís for sure. Thanks again for all the help.

~Joe

mtbr member
    Rog would know better on Willow. I rarely leave the Republic of Falmouth, and if I do, its for the Country of MV.

Joe, Jim is a cool guy. He does weekly rides out there. Could probably haul the bike. It's a bit of a ride out of Buzzard's Bay, over the bridge, and down the backroads to Otis.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hauling the bike is no issue as i have a chevy tahoe out there. I just wanted to get a bike and go, not drive, get the bike, and drive again. I have mapped it out from blackmore pond in west wareham to sail world and then to the Otis trails isn't to bad at all. I am just spoiled with over a hundred miles of single track within 3 miles of my current home in az. Thanks again for the hope and ill hit you guys up in a weeks or so.

~Joe

mtbr member
    You are indeed spoiled... though coastal living has its benefits. Of course I'm trying to find my way out west.

Talk to Jim at Sailworld about how to link up Four Ponds/Pocasset Town forest to Otis, less pavement.

Let me know when you might be heading out, I'll be more than happy to spend a few hours spinning with you at Otis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Spoiled? Pfft. If you live in north Falmouth, sandwich, much of Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis, and Brewster, you have closer to 200 miles worth of link able singletrack with very little pavement within a few miles from your door. I've lived and ridden out west and it ain't better, just different. Bigger climbs with way more recovery out there. Here not so much. Lay on the gas here for 50 miles and you get very little recovery.

Bourne town forest is a gem and can be linked to Otis via a half mile of pavement and the singletrack from the old true wheels cycles along 28 right to Otis. A good fun 40 or so miles of one track can be had.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    and if I do, its for the Country of MV.
    I cannot WAIT to get back over there in September. Doesn't get any better than the vinyard. Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, of course. So much trail!!!!!

rog