Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Need some advice- moving to eastern MA.

I'm a little sad to say, but this spring, I leave the Rocky Mountains to find a home in Mass. My girlfriend got the opportunity to run a yoga studio in Bolton, and she couldn't pass it up, so we are headed east. I was hoping that the MTBR community could help ease the transition.

1. If you were to move to a town that is NO FARHER THAN 45 MINUTES from Bolton, MA, where would you go? Ideally it's a place full of young (I'm 29) people, that's kind of hip and near some good riding.

2. What's the best mountain bike town in New England?

3. Where should I ride?

I currently ride an Ibis Mojo HD 160. I love all day epics. I love technical climbing and descending. I also like to get airborne whenever possible. I'm also a big fan of downhill and free ride.

I own a hardtail 29er but am generally bored on trails that it excels on. I'm planning on buying a fat bike for the winter.

I'll miss the Colorado rockies, but I'm excited to ride east coast tech, again. I grew up in southern NH, so I'm familiar with New England. I swore I'd never move back there, though. It's really not so bad.... right??

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not sure where Bolton is, I live kind of north shore and I ride Harold Parker SF mostly, also, Mt Pisgah is good. I came from AZ, western Mass is better,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Actually, I can show you some tech, I ride a Firebird

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Western mass is home to, imo, the best riding in new england. It just is.

That said, buy that fatbike and sell all yer other bikes. Worked wonders for me. Im revisiting old stomping grounds all over and riding/making sections i never thought possible on a non fat bike. Fun!

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bolton is not too far from some pretty good singletrack. 20 min. south there are the Vietnam trails in Milford. 20 min. north and you'll find some good riding in the Lowell/Dracut State Forest. Also Russell Mill in Chelmsford and Harold Parker S.F. in Andover

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, Bolton is in a great area for biking. You're just up 495 and, within 30-40 minutes drive, are close to a lot of great places.

I love all day epics. I love technical climbing and descending. I also like to get airborne whenever possible. I'm also a big fan of downhill and free ride.

I'm sure I'll get corrected, but since Massachusetts has less land, I don't consider much of the state as having all-day epics. Sure, western MA has some bigger stuff, but unless you're linking parks, Mass just doesn't have a ton of those.

But as far as XC goes, there's some great riding here! Oh, and rocks. And roots. And rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

I'm sure I'll get corrected, but since Massachusetts has less land, I don't consider much of the state as having all-day epics. Sure, western MA has some bigger stuff, but unless you're linking parks, Mass just doesn't have a ton of those.
    holy moly you haven't ridden much of mass have you.......

rog

mtbr member
    Waltham or Arlington is "hip" - from what I've seen a lot of late 20's/early 30's folks move out there once they're done living in the Boston proper. Might be too far away from Bolton though...not sure what you or your wife is willing to do for commuting.

Can't speak to AM/DH stuff. All that seems to be more up in the mountains...lift accessed stuff.

I've had a great time in Willowdale, Vietnam, Bear Brook, and of course Kingdom Trails. Check the NEMBA site. Great resource.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am not sure you are going to find hip/youngish people in the suburbs, as said above, most people get sick of living in the city and move to the burbs to avoid high rents and find reasonably priced homes to buy. If you want to be in a hip neighborhood, yet still have reasonable access to mountain biking, you might consider Somerville or Medford. Somerville is like the Brooklyn of Boston IMHO, fun bars, restaurants, etc., but it is getting very expensive, I'm lucky I live in a pseudo rent-stabilized apartment (my landlord is a friend, who lived abroad, and keeps my rent artificially low because I take care of the place). Waltham is OK, as is Arlington, but I choose to live closer to the city. I can walk to the T from my apartment, and also ride to trails good enough for a workout up in the Middlesex Fells or the greenway in Waltham/Belmont. For more technical riding, I have to drive 20-45 min to trails mentioned above.

Bolton would be a bit of a commute from Somerville/Cambridge/Arlington/etc, about an hour, but maybe working in a yoga studio it would not be typical commuting hours? That might not make it so bad. Kind of depends where you plan to work as well.

I don't think you will find DH/freeride here, mountains are too small for long downhills, you need to head west or north to NH/VT for that, lots of tech around here though, and a few of the trails systems have some fun jumpy areas and some short flow trails, you gotta work for it though. No long climbs/descents like in CO.

I moved here from Boulder 3 years ago, PM me if you have any questions. I have a Mojo, but find myself riding my rigid SS 29er, makes easy trails a lot more fun and is making me a much better rider. Building up a 29+ bike soon.

mtbr member
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    There is no "mountain biking center" in Massachusetts. Bolton is farily well located, there's the rides mentioned already, but also leominster, harold parker, callahan, etc... check out NEMBA's site. You won't find anything like the rockies out here, but you can find big climbs if that's what you want, or all day epics if that's what your looking for. You may have to drive a bit to get to them. Make sure you make a trip up to the kingdom trails (Vermont, bit of a drive) when you get out here. Some of the best riding in New England.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    Kingdom trails, Some of the best riding in New England.
    Now that's a huge stretch. Western mass is 10x better than kt. As well as at least a dozen other riding areas in vermont alone. Then of course you have mt washington valley........

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You might want to check out Lowell. Mid sized city with a little bit of the 'artsy' thing going on downtown (or at least trying for it). Within striking distance of tons and tons riding, only about an hour to chairlifts at Highland, good access to a number of major highways, less than an hour to the ocean, and less than 2 to the White Mts. Also, Nashua NH might work. Everything else is really pretty much suburb unless you stay right in close to Boston, but the RE prices are stupid inside 128, or even 495 these days for that matter.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It really is quite cool how much great riding there is relatively close to boston.

Not having to deal with 1-70 traffic is reason to celebrate.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses! It's still a year before we're there, but I'll keep you all posted and probably ask more specific questions as the move draws closer. Honestly, I'm really sad to leave Colorado and think that more than anything I was just looking for some reassurance that it won't be that bad. I lived in Asheville, NC for seven years-- the views out west are hard to beat, but the East Coast has the best technical riding i've ever experienced. (Except the pacific northwest...). I hope to find some good trail in New England and you all have me convinced that I will. Thanks! I think that the relative lack of avalanche risk in the winter will make for some great backcountry skiing, too!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll certainly reference this post as we decide where to live. I might as well ask: Anyone near Boloton want a yurt on their property?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    a yurt would be very cool.

as far as bc skiing goes, we have it pretty good here. the high whites in winter is where it's at. low to no crowds and a nice "relatively" stable maritime snowpack. you'll be able to ski much steeper lines, much sooner in winter snow after a storm than in the continental snowpack you're used to. and our spring corn snow quality can only be matched by maybe the eastern sierra. we don't mank out like colorado and utah do after the sun bakes the surface for more than 5 minutes. killer top notch supportive peel away corn all day long. don't even need to change aspect/elevation once it's cooking.

along with our fabled steep terrain, we also have lovely high alpine lower angle options when the avy danger is elevated down lower.

this winter we had some nice bouncy pow days in the high fields. nice 4000 + vert climb to get up there to stretch the legs.

example from this winter, not uncommon to see no others for days up there

Roger Skiing the Easties 02/03/2014 on Vimeo

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ha! "Not bad." Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yurt? Do I get the goat milk for my A.M. coffee? How's your bike fix skills?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can certainly fix your bike. And you definitely get goat milk... if I can have a goat. Can I have a goat!? And maybe some chickens....?

Giggitty giggitty!!
    I was in your shoes in 2008. Lived in Colorado Springs but took a job out here. Since the day i have lived here i have wanted to move back. My own opinion is just that - my own. A few notes:

- The riding is nothing like Colorado, just accept it. Lot less vert, but more techy stuff
    - I love in Milford and Vietnam is my main stomping ground. Its fine, but certainly overhyped - maybe cause i ride it so much.
    - No all day epics here. No High Country rides. For that type of stuff it's good to head up to northern Vermont (Waterbury, Montpillier, Kingdom Trails, etc.) and Western Mass.
    - There are a crap load of small trail networks around. Up and down the 495 corridor there is riding.

I tell people the major difference i have noticed (i moved here when I was 29 as well) is that people are from Boston, whereas people move TO Colorado. It's a very different mentality.

On that note, I am moving back to Colorado Springs next Spring thanks to a new job. Just can't stay here any longer!

Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    I'm a little sad to say, but this spring, I leave the Rocky Mountains to find a home in Mass. My girlfriend got the opportunity to run a yoga studio in Bolton, and she couldn't pass it up, so we are headed east. I was hoping that the MTBR community could help ease the transition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    no ocean in coloRADo. not as charming as new england either. deal breakers

oh, and full of trusty trannies.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been living in Bolton the last 20 years and have had the opportunity to sample a huge amount of trails in every direction within roughly a 100 mile radius. I also drive around central and eastern Mass all week for my job so i'm pretty familiar with most towns.

It is pretty shocking how many awesome areas are within 20-35 minutes. Vietnam, I've even made it to F.Gilbert Hills in Foxboro in roughly 35 minutes (driving FAST). Leominster State Forest is fantastic and only 20 minutes from Bolton. Russell Mill, Great Brook, Pisgah, and Callahan are all fun. There are a ton of trails in Groton/Littleton/Harvard (The Promised Land in Groton is extremely technical and has some sweet freeride features similar to Nam). There are also some great trails in Bolton itself. Rattlesnake Hill is very technical and definitely challenges everyone who rides there, and the Vaughn Hill/Bower area is great and really nice.

The poster above who mentioned Acton may be on to something, great town and lots of affordable living possibilities. Also consider Maynard, Boxborough, Littleton, Hudson, Lancaster, and Sterling. Clinton sucks.

Lowell would also be a really solid choice. The state forest is awesome and as mentioned above the location would put you near SO MUCH. If you think you'll be really active in the winter in terms of hiking/skiing/whatever you may want to aim for a town closer to NH (such as lowell) Mt. Watatic in Ashburnham is epic for backcountry skiing

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ShredJekyll, thanks for the thoughtful post! I'll definitely reference it as we are looking for a place. I'll be in touch when I get there. Maybe we could ride? It's a small town so I've got to ask if you know the Moyer family that lives on Meadow. Do you?

DHPimp, Thanks for the response. I grew up near Nashua (in Hollis, NH), so i've got no illusions that I'll be riding 3,000' descents. I do look forward to the techy riding, though. Haven't really ever been to western Mass, so I'm intrigued. Congratulations on getting a job back in CO! My gf and I plan on spending no more than a couple of years back east before we find a place to launch a yoga studio somewhere in the west.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    from co springs, how much driving, if any would you do to access different rides. i've spent limited time on the front range between boulder and pueblo and ridden more in telluride/durango, but know that many folks out there drive longer distances to access play than they might out here where things seem to be closer.

rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast