Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Giggitty giggitty!!
    Rog, in Colorado Springs you have you have more riding in the city limits than I could ever count - one of the primary reasons it gets on the top 10 biking cities in north america consistently. Palmer park, Ute valley, Cheyenne canyon (endless trails), Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Pikes Peak, and Red Rocks park are all within 15 minute drive of the center of town. About 15 minutes north is Monument where they again have crap loads of riding.

I live in Milford and have Vietnam about 7 minutes from my house. Goat hill in Uxbridge is decent for XC, then farther you have Sutton, Rayburn, Singletary, and Gilbert Hills in Foxboro. Those are all within 30 minutes. After that its a 45 drive to get to anything else. So i think it's fair to say there is much more riding in a small area in Colorado Springs than there is where I live in the Boston area.

Skiing is farther away - 1/5-2hrs from the Springs. That said, you can't compare skiing at Monarch or Breckenridge to anything out there, it's just not at all on the same level. Not even Jay Peak (which i love and skied at for 8 years).

if you need water - CO is not the place for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    co springs sound awesome for riding. skiing on the other hand........i've skied a whole bunch in colorado. total different than new england skiing, so you can't compare. lift served skiing in colorado resorts like breck, copper, steamboat, loveland, and others were nice and all, especially if was untracked pow, but was pretty much a big YAWN experience when compared with techy/interesting skiing like at MRG, stowe, smuggs, sugarloaf, ect.

give me a foot o fresh and i'd take many of our east coast techy areas over some of the wide open ho hum co resorts any day.

and we don't have I 70 to deal with which is huge.

personal preferance is all.

rog

mtbr member
    Having recently visited CO Springs and sampling the riding in and close to the city I can testify that it deserves its reputation. This- even though I was there in March and didn't catch a whiff of the high country trails. (The highest I got was Captain Jack's.) So, I feel your pain buddy.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Leominster. Is it really that bad there? I mean folks mentioned Lowell, but no mention of Leominster? Cmon!

It's a good sized town with an active downtown center, and you could ride out your door and up into Leominster State Forest, which has miles and miles of challenging New England style trails.

Also, Wachusett is a short distance for skiing in the winter. (I know it isn't the high Whites, but the trade off is a ten minute commute versus an hour and a half.)

I also think Western MA has some great biking. I'm not ready to say its the best in New England, but it gets far less attention that what it merits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Leominster. Is it really that bad there? I mean folks mentioned Lowell, but no mention of Leominster? Cmon!
    If he hadn't mentioned the 'hip' angle, I would've suggested the Leominster area, but there really isn't any sort of the nightlife, arts/entertainment, etc like you can find in Lowell. It's pretty much a vast wasteland as far as that stuff goes unless you hike in to Worcester.

I actually live near Leominster in Westminster; if you want a nice, quiet 'rural' town with plenty of woods right out your door, a brewery, and even a little ski hill (Wachusett), but still easy access to shopping, highways, etc, I'd recommend taking a peak. Your money will go much, much farther real estate-wise than it would inside 495. But there's really nothing 'hip' going on unless you're into chickens and under-utilized singletrack. Good striking distance to both Western Ma and Merrimack Valley riding though. If I were to be looking in the Leominster/Fitchburg/Gardner area, I'd make the same choice a million times and buy here. Doesn't hurt that the town is supportive of trail building and we've got a small local crew of trail gnomes that tries to keep pretty busy.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Like what dhpimp said, you sould go and check out the Vietnam Trails in Milford. From Bolton its about 25-30 minutes away. Also there are some state forests to check out. What i personally do is ride the SNETT trail thats towards Rhode Island, and that trail brings you to the franklin state forest and douglas state forest.
    But definitely check out the vietnam trails. You can find videos of it on youtube also.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I'm surprised no one suggested Worcester. Its about 20 minutes from Bolton, has a bunch of REALLY good restaurants and bars, a pretty young demographic (5+ colleges in town) and great riding within 30 minutes of the city. Leominster SF, Assabumskit (sp?), Rayburn, Singeltary, Vietnam, Goat Hill, The Zoo Trails in Mendon, Sutton etc. You could drive a bit further into RI and hit Diamond Hill (awesome tech), Lincoln Woods, Big River and Arcadia. You would also be within about an hour of some great places in Western Mass. Worcester has some crappy areas, but there are some really cool neighborhoods as well....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The 40+ mile ride from belchertown to leveritt back to beltchertown on the mm is awesome and pretty demanding. The 50 miler from sturbridge to mansfield hollow ct. Is awesome a well.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    I'm surprised no one suggested Worcester. Its about 20 minutes from Bolton, has a bunch of REALLY good restaurants and bars, a pretty young demographic (5+ colleges in town) and great riding within 30 minutes of the city. Leominster SF, Assabumskit (sp?), Rayburn, Singeltary, Vietnam, Goat Hill, The Zoo Trails in Mendon, Sutton etc. You could drive a bit further into RI and hit Diamond Hill (awesome tech), Lincoln Woods, Big River and Arcadia. You would also be within about an hour of some great places in Western Mass. Worcester has some crappy areas, but there are some really cool neighborhoods as well....
    Yeah, plenty to do around Worcester. We used to hit a sort of shuttle run over by the airport, not real familiar with the area, but seemed like there'd probably be some other trails over there. Couple skateparks around too, if you like park riding at all.

I'll also throw Groton out there - there's a ****-ton of trail in and around, 100+ miles. Lots of good techy stuff too. Solid riding and building scene there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd volunteer waltham. Vibrant downtown sandwiched between two colleges, easily the best restaurant scene outside of boston/cambridge, commuter rail access to Boston, a straight, 40 minute shot down 117 to Bolton. Affordable compared to the surrounding areas (like Acton) and your likelihood of getting stabbed is still slightly lower than medford. It's an easy shot up 95 to harold pakkah or 3 to russell mill, and there's even a spot that nobody goes to on 117 (stow town forest) that isn't a bad place to get a lap or two in, and it's beginner friendly. Hour and a half to highland, two and a half to Jiminy, 4 on the nose to plattekill. Two and a half to kingdom trails, a little more to stowe. Right in Waltham is the start/end of the western greenway, which is a super fun little string of trails that stretches from waltham to belmont. I'd put that trail at least as fun as harold parker, and up there with willowdale.

Otherwise worcester might not be too bad. Further from the real city, but a vibrant riding scene around there. Plus they have monster trucks every February, so they've got that going for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    agreed. I moved out here a couple years back from the front range. I REALLY miss the riding out in CO (and the lifestyle in general). Yeah, there's some good trails out here. But nothing like super walker, heil/hall, devil's backbone/bluesky, three sisters, Bergen, CO trail, etc.

It lacks that sense of adventure, the feeling of accomplishment after a crushing climb, and the one of adrenaline as you bomb you're way back down. I finish every ride out here feeling a little flat. The one thing that MA has over CO is the dirt. The trails are almost always tacky and you can rail the corners. I was never a big fan of the gravel in CO.

The mtn biking here is ok. It's just on a different level.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Go faster^^^^^^^^

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
    The mtn biking here is ok. It's just on a different level.
    New England roolz dood.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For both skiing and biking:

East Coast = technical
    West Coast = EPIC

You just won't have the feeling of epicness on the east coast if you're used to the Rockies. Every time i go out west i stand in awe for like a day. Everything is huge. Generally easier, comfier, smoother, but honestly more beautiful and adventurous and big time. I've taken shits in the Rockies and it just felt EPIC.

But at the end of the day, all the best skiiers and bikers are from the east coast.

I love the Boston area though. It's a really great city full of smart energized people. Great history, culture, food. Not too big, not too small. I live in Somerville near Davis Square and love it. Great community feel with lots to do to, see, and eat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The east skis epic with new snow. So does the west. No new snow? Neither skis epic.

rog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2