mtbr member
    Mar 2004

MTB'ing around Boston

So, I may be moving to Boston for a new job. An important deciding factor is going to be the quality of the mountain biking. So what's the deal up there? Which are the good local trails? What's the riding like? What kind of bikes do you ride? Where do you go to get away on the weekends? I may be getting an new full squishy soon and where I end up will probably dictate the type of bike.

B

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you have quite a bit of options. Fells and Lynn are just 20 min north of the city. 40 min south is nam, wompituck, etc...Lynn is burly, alot ride freeride oriented or even down hill bikes. steep rock desents w/ lots of drops. Fells is good on xc bike. I ride a ss out there and its a blast. just make sure you have car b/c public trans is a beotch to get to the trails. Weekend getaways...we have highlandmountian up in NH for some park and DH (i'm there every weekend) Kingdom trails in vermont....its new england plenty of riding going on.

I would suggest 5-6 inch travel bike. 2.35 tires are the way to go in new england. real tech rock strewn trails up here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just moved to Boston. I'm in my new place this weekend. Boston is a great bike town. Many great bike shops, bike festivals, local racing. Lynn woods as mentioned is great, Wompatuck is close, Vietnam is also close - great freeride spot, Leominster state forest is about 45 min west.

for more serious DH jiminy peak is about an hour away, kilington, mt snow, attitash - all less than 3 hours.

as mountain biker you'll love boston

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently living in Atlanta. Lots of good ridding just north of here, but almost all XC. It looks like I might need to think bigger on my next bike (If I get the job of course).

mtbr member
    Don't forget Blue Hills Reservation, great for XC, a bit south of the city. I like to ride there b/c I can ride to the trail from home (Jamaica Plain). About 8 miles each way with a mile or so of climb to the parking lot.