Thread: Mt Tom

mtbr member

Mt Tom

Is Mt. Tom good for mt biking? Ive heard of people riding there but is it worth it?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Biking is not allowed at Mt Tom. That isn't to say some doesn't take place, but...

NEMBA has pretty much given up trying to get official access restored. All NEMBA trail maintenance has been stopped since bikes were banned and the trails are deteriorating quickly. The hiking community got bikes banned, but do virtually nothing to maintain the trails.

If you ask me, acquiescing to the hikers demands that bikes be banned was one of the stupidest decisions ever made by Mass DCR.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    yea that seems dumb,is the Bungalow a good place to ride? and were is it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    its important to distinguish between mt tom and the state reservation. biking is definetly banned on the reservation, but the riding is excellent and nobody gives a **** as long as your not out there on a busy weekend (memorial day, labor day, etc). As far as Mt. Tom and the ski area, i dont know the exact rules on biking but there are no signs like on the reservation that say no bikes. I'd say its fair game for bikers. I have been riding there for years and have never been harassed. The MM trail along the cliffs is crazy fun despite many cliffs you have to dismount on. Just dont be afraid of pedaling uphill, find a paved road to go up, then ride trails back down. There is also some new and awesome singletrack cut on the mountain between the log cabin and hendrick st. I highly recommend it and there is no obvious ban on bikes there. any other questions ask me, I have lived at the base of mt tom my whole life and know it fairly well.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/Mt.Tom.pdf
    Last edited by Wmass; 03-30-2009 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    heres a picture from the cliff trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmass
    its important to distinguish between mt tom and the state reservation. biking is definetly banned on the reservation, but the riding is excellent and nobody gives a **** as long as your not out there on a busy weekend (memorial day, labor day, etc). As far as Mt. Tom and the ski area, i dont know the exact rules on biking but there are no signs like on the reservation that say no bikes. I'd say its fair game for bikers. I have been riding there for years and have never been harassed. The MM trail along the cliffs is crazy fun despite many cliffs you have to dismount on. Just dont be afraid of pedaling uphill, find a paved road to go up, then ride trails back down. There is also some new and awesome singletrack cut on the mountain between the log cabin and hendrick st. I highly recommend it and there is no obvious ban on bikes there. any other questions ask me, I have lived at the base of mt tom my whole life and know it fairly well.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/Mt.Tom.pdf
    Good info. Are you talking about the water dept property though? I thought that was a strict no trespassing area? I poached some riding there once and thought it was great, but never went back because there is plenty of good legal riding in Wmass. Any interest in being a tour guide for a day?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I want to say the land around the big reservoir near mountain park is water dept property. I think there are no trespassing signs but a ton of people go walking out there all the time, including mountain park and the ski area. I have seen people out there on bikes. again, i have never been harassed out there. I would say in general for the mt tom area, as long as people don't go in and build ramps, jumps, berms, or mess with trails in any way, it shouldnt be much of a problem to see bikers here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    more of the cliff trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ski area and trail to the summit