mtbr member

Moving to Boston - any freeride?

Hi all,

I got a job offer in Boston (Cambridge actually)...I'm a little worried right now coming out of San Francisco because we have some pretty great riding which is super close for me to do after work. What kind of aggressive trail riding and freeride spots (if illegal then don't have to tell me, but do they exist so I know ) do you guys have in Btown?

As a comparison, I have a freeride spot (15+ ft doubles, drops to jumps, etc) and trail riding spot 15 minutes from my house, and about 5 burly weekend trail riding spots with jumps and rock gardens all within 1 hr (not really fr/dh, but just aggressive trail).

Here's some vids of the freeride stuff we have here, so curious if you guys have anything similar???...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/67538/

Me and the wifey are scared so please help!

over my head

try

www.dieselbikes.com

www.bustedspoke.com

You tube:
    Vietnam milford

lynn woods

you'll be fine. You just need to figure out commutes
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, what bully said. Check out the Bruce and Tom's videos on dieselbikes link above- sick stuff up in Gloucester.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Beside the above mentioned trails there is also Highland Mountain 1.5 hour north of Boston. If you love freeride you'll LOVE Highland. You will have no regrets moving here but be warned the riding is more technical. A-lot of the drops don't have nice run ins or run outs.

Designated Bleeder

Freeride Options in Boston

Just to make you feel better, Lynn Woods was rated at the number one technical trail system in the US by Bike Magazine. Its about 20 to 30 minutes from downtown Boston and offers an impressive array of rocks, drops, steep rolls. Its got everything from beginner freeride stunts to crap-your-pants I-will-never-even-attempt-that stunts. You will not be disappointed.

Vietnam in Milford, about 45 minutes to an hour from downtown Boston, is a piece of land owned by NEMBA (New England Mountain Bike Association) that has several trails designed, built and maintained by local freeride folks. Everything from drops to doubles to hip jumps and log rides. Beautifully maintained trails.

Bruce and Tom's on the North Shore (about 45 minutes from downtown Boston) is an area of privately owned land lovingly maintained by Bruce, Tom, Diesel Bikes and a variety of other volunteers. They have some amazing built up stunts there including skinnies, drops and teeter-tauters.

Highland Mountain, as mentioned before is north of Boston in New Hampshire if you are into resort riding. It is built by mountain bikers, for mountain bikers and has some really fun trails. Ski areas like Killington and Attitash also build up bike parks in the summer and offer some nice DH and FR riding (both are about 2.5 hours from Boston).

Overall New England is a great place to freeride and ride in general. We don't have the elevation of the West or the wide open spaces but we have more rocks, roots and technical features than you can shake a stick at. But as mentioned before, New England has lots of tough transitions, drops to flat, big trees to grab you and rocks to slice yourself up on. Armor is a requirement. But from the video, it looks like you don't have a problem with that...

I have lived and ridden in the Boston area for nine years and I'm not bored yet...

MC MasterShake
    The Boston area has a ton of options for biking. If you work in Cambridge I would recommend living on the outskirts of the city as it can be quite difficult to get in and out of, especially at rush hour. Most of our trails are unmarked and it can be frustrating at times trying to figure out a good flow, if you don't know the trails. Hooking in with local riders is critical if you want to enjoy the trails here.

Meanwhile get out a map and look these places up:

Freeride/Techy stuff
    Lynn Woods (Lynn, MA) - LW is a large highly technical municipal park with a lot of rock. There are a ton of "old school" freeride stunts interspersed with highly technical trails. You could easily spend a better part of a day riding all the trails here.
    Bruce & Toms/Thompson Reservation (Gloucester, MA) - B&T's is as close as you will get to what I consider real Freeride. There are a number of large drops, rollers, and built up stunts that make the most of the terrain.
    Vietnam (Milford, MA) - Vietnam is on land purchased by mountain bikers a few years back. 2 jump tracks have been built up that are quite fun. There are a number of drops, rollers, and kickers interspersed throughout this vast park.
    Highland (Tilton, NH) - Lift service Freeride at its best about 1.5 hours from Boston. Highland is MTB only so they are fully focused. The mountain is relatively small but it packs a punch. They are building trail at a fast rate.
    Other -Diablo in NJ is 4 hours away and rocks. There's Sunday River in ME which recently re-opened MTB and has big plans. There's Killington, MT. Snow, and Sugarbush in VT for more lift access stuff. There's Plattekill and Whiteface in NY for old school Downhill riding. And a handfull of smaller mountains that have stuff as well.

Other places of MTB interest:
    Kingdom Trails (E. Burke, VT) - While it's mostly an XC place it does have some FR/DH trails. This place is actually an amazing place to ride. There is so much riding you can ride all day long and not hit the same trail. The speed and flow is amazing.
    Middlesex Fells (Medford, MA) - Closest place to the city to ride. There is some hiker/biker issues going on here but I've heard there is some good riding to be had at the Fells.
    Harold Parker (Andover, MA) - This place is a lot of fun to ride. Lots of flow, lots of tech, and pretty close to the city.
    Otis AFB (Close to the Cape, MA?) - This place is great when everywhere else is covered in snow Otis will be clear and bone-dry. Well worth the hour trip when your jonesing for a ride in the winter. These trails are about flow w/some tech stuff thrown in.

Then of course there is the personal stash which I won't go into...

I could go on but I won't. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need advice on where to set up shop.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Vietnam (Milford, MA) - Vietnam is on land purchased by mountain bikers a few years back. 2 jump tracks have been built up that are quite fun. There are a number of drops, rollers, and kickers interspersed throughout this vast park.
    2 Jump tracks ? I wouldn't exactly call them Jump tracks.

we put a lot of time and effort into those to make them trails that have some Technical trail features through out.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Wow thanks for the tips guys! I'm getting excited now cuz this stuff is pretty close too. Guess I'll be dusting off my snowboard for the winter tho

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    Wow thanks for the tips guys! I'm getting excited now cuz this stuff is pretty close too. Guess I'll be dusting off my snowboard for the winter tho

thanks!
    A little more to get you excited. This is a mini ride report from last Sunday. This is only about a 1/4 of what we rode. Splat would have much better pictures of the day.

Log ride from today.

Shot from another trail since she couldnt get her tires to leave the ground while the group was still there.

Cause we do pedal up.

He turns 65 tomorrow. Or so Im told

Lets face it... Riding down is always more fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    Guess I'll be dusting off my snowboard for the winter tho
    Why ?

we don't stop riding

I'm Better known as Splat

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Sweet Pics. I was wondering the same thing. I may be relocating here from Phoenix. Not really intersted in hanging up my bike for any significant amount of time each year but snowboarding/skiing options that are hopefully better than Flag and Show Low would be nice. Is there any preserves with decent riding near central Boston?

mtbr member

Ya for sure great pictures,

I love the 6th picture down from just under the video..It almost looks as if she's hucking that roller..(Or is she ) That just might be one of the better photo's I've seen in a while..........CF.

mtbr member
    I think I remember one tire doing a little floating but she was riding it as a roller.

Designated Bleeder
    I've rolled that "roller" and it ain't no joke. Sometimes hucking is actually the safer option...