mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Moving to Boston

I am moving to Boston (Back Bay) from Washington DC at the end of this month and was wondering where and how far outside boston I will have to go to find some decent trails.

rack admirer

if you can find parking, you'll find singletrack

Welcome.
    If you have a secure parking spot in back bay, you've got it made. Start about looking 7 miles south of you in Blue Hills, Milton. I can ride >4 hours without repeating a trail and it is the most strenuous climbing that you will find without going 60 miles north or west, but no drops. Through the city and then about 10 miles north is Lynn woods with lots of drops off granite ledges of all sizes. About 25 miles south, in hingham is Wampatuck State park, lots of single track and small boulder runoffs. Look 40 miles west for Viet Nam, in Milord for bigger and more comon boulder and ridge drops combined with lots of singletrack. Look for rides posted on Nemba.org or ragemtb.com to gather and make friends, or just show up and ask a local if you can tag along. Trail listings and maps are available on these sites plus bikerag and bustedspoke sites. I do see urban riders slaloming pedestrians, but that's not for me.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the info

Seven miles that sounds great and fortunately I do have a secure parking spot

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Fells and Cape Ann

The fells are only a few minutes away if not riding during rush hour, also you should check out the sick trails off of rte 128 from Hamilton all the way to Gloucester. You are in luck, the riding in MA is top notch

mtbr member
    Rage on Boston, http://www.ragemtb.com/ . They post tons of rides on their forum. I live in Portland ME and have done a couple of rides at Massabesic in NH with them. They are fun to ride with and very cool. We also have lots of riding in ME. Check out Aggie and the Portland area.

mtbr member
    May 2004

The same question only different?

Quote Originally Posted by mbdurham
    I am moving to Boston (Back Bay) from Washington DC at the end of this month and was wondering where and how far outside boston I will have to go to find some decent trails.
    I sometimes spend time down in Delaware. Where did you go from D.C. for the best trails? I once went sightseeing in D.C. on my bike, that was one of my favorite trips there. Also, look at the other posts on this page (where to live), there are some excellent opinions about areas close to you.

mtbr member
    join rage and nemba, you'll be totally hooked up. riding here is great!

www.ragemtb.com

www.nemba.org

mtbr member

Riding in boston

Quote Originally Posted by mbdurham
    There is also fun riding in boston itself. Though not technically challenging, all of the emerald necklace is a great ride if you don't want to get in your car. From the charles river you can make it all the way to the arboreteum, where (if they still allow it) you can find a mile or two of easy singletrack. Government Center is also a good place to do some light urban riding. And best of all, since bostonians are the worse drivers (well it's really all those new college students in town), riding in traffic can be quite the experience!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog