mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Moved to Lowell and looking for a guide

Hi folks,

I've just moved to Lowell from western New York state, and I'm starting to explore the area. Yesterday I spent a fun couple hours in the snow exploring the north side of Lynn Woods, but otherwise I haven't seen any trail here. I was hoping to find some folks to ride with next weekend (Sat/Sun 12/8 and 12/9) to get a tour of one of the fun places to ride somewhere within about an hour's drive (of Lowell). Does anyone have something in mind where I could tag along?

I work an 8-to-5,so getting out on weekdays on new trails is tough without a guide or a group (I don't fancy getting lost in the cold dark). Are there any weeknight group rides this time of year in my area, say Harold Parker, Great Brook, or Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro?

And what are the places further away that are worth the drive as weekend destinations? So far my list includes Lynn, HP, LDT, Nam, and Leominster. What are the area's "must-rides"?

Oh, and when describing my area, what's the correct term for Lowell/Andover region? As in, "Metrowest", "North Shore", etc?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You are close to Harold Parker. I've only ridden there once - for the Wicked Ride of the East a few weeks ago - but the trails were great. Definitely check that out.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    We ride LDT every Tuesday night as long as the snow isn't deep. We also have a Friday night ride at Russell mill in Chelmsford. PM me for details. Also find us on Facebook @MVNEMBA.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You want a Lynn Woods tour especially the north side, we ride there regularly, let me know when you are riding on weekends and you are more than welcome to join.
    Welcome!
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You are in the Merrimack Valley. You will be in good hands with Sofaking. Great group of riders. Just include bacon or ipa in some of your conversations.

Go Bruins!
    I've spent a lot of time in upstate NY, in the Victor, Honeyoye, and Rochester areas of the fingerlakes region. Welcome to the NE. I was born in Lowell and know it well. What section do you live in? I grew up in the highlands section on B St. Anyway, riding wise, I would look for a guy on here named woodsguy through a search. In his signature is a link to all the riding places in this whole area. Depending on your riding style, there are a lot of options within an hour of Lowell. I live on the NH Seacoast and still make it down to LDTF a few times a month for a ride.

I would consider in no order Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, Willowdale State Forest, Lowell Dracut Town Forest, Russell Mill, and others in Southern NH like Fort Rock (Exeter,NH), Pawtuckaway (Nottingham,NH), Fomba (Auburn, NH) and slightly further Bear Brook State Park(Allenstown,NH) and Mt Aggamenticus (York, ME). I ride a lot and I am readily available most weekends for a ride until the deep snow arrives and know all these areas like the back of my hand except Russell Mill and Lynn Woods. Also, if you like lift accessed downhill runs, highland mountain just northeast of Concord, NH is where its at.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Once you are in the loop with Merrimack Valley NEMBA and the pace of the rides is a good match, we ride everything within an hour of the Lowell area on the weekends. There are so many places to ride and offer many types of riding. We will be riding Lowell Dracut Tyngsboro Tuesday night at 5PM and looping back to the lot at 6PM.
    126 Trotting Park RdLowell, MA 01854\
    If you are rocking an Ibis, you will fit right in. We are often called "team Ibis" on our weekend rides. We have them all.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm a little overwhelmed. Given a little time I suspect I'll take you all up on your offers.

ooctrl, I lived in Rochester, Brighton to be specific. I did most of my riding in Tryon Park, if you had a chance to ride there. As for now, I'm on the south side of Lowell, near the cemeteries.

SofaKing, I had seen the MV NEMBA page a while ago, but it didn't seem as if it had been updated in a long time. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I should be able to get out tomorrow for the 6PM round. With the weather the way it is, I'm looking forward to it. Just fair warning, I no longer have my September lungs or legs.

Bacon, Ibis and IPA? I do love all of those things, and prefer them in that order. Sounds promising.

At the moment, I'm making do with a borrowed hardtail, but I'm very close to finishing my new 650B HD140. The fork and last of the odds and ends should come in Wednesday, and then I'll be all set for the weekend. Seems they're (relatively) popular out here, and understandably so after what I saw at Lynn.