mtbr member

Mountain biking in Nantucket?

Going out to Nantucket for 4 days this week, was wondering if I should maybe bring my mtn bike . Any trails over there? I know they have a bunch of paved bike paths, not so sure about trails through the woods. All the multi-millionaires might be mad if they saw us blazing thru the woods

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Not sure about Nantucket but I've heard that there are some trail on the Vineyard......

I like to ride my bike.
    There is some forest-ish land, but it is likely pretty small and people are probably very touchy about who uses the land.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member

I didn't find any

I brought my bike there on a vacation two years ago, but didn't find anything I would call mountain biking. in the interior of the island there are some dirt roads that are well worth riding, but nothing requiring much more than a hybrid bike.

in addition, there is a good network of paved bike paths that make for very nice riding if you enjoy that kind of thing!

oh, and you can take a break at the cisco brewery where they have outdoor seating and enjoyable beer

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider
    Going out to Nantucket for 4 days this week, was wondering if I should maybe bring my mtn bike . Any trails over there? I know they have a bunch of paved bike paths, not so sure about trails through the woods. All the multi-millionaires might be mad if they saw us blazing thru the woods
    I'd bring a mtb but I'd put a wicker basket on the bars with a six pack.

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I'd bring a mtb but I'd put a wicker basket on the bars with a six pack.

and as for attire, leave the baggies and rad jerseys at home: strictly navy blue shorts and seersucker jackets are allowed on-island.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    You should bring a bike with like 8" of travel.

That way we can say "sunday river rider went to nantucket with a fork so tall he could...."

JBH
    mtbr member
    My buddy lives out there, and there is singletrack. Pretty flat, but singletrack. You might try calling one of the bike shops.

mtbr member
    I ended up bringing my bike. In the center of the island there was some forest/farm land. I took a detour off the bike path and rode around a bit. Wasn't awesome, but it was fun to just ride around and check something new out and get some exercise.

Thanks for the tips.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider
    I took a detour off the bike path and rode around a bit. Wasn't awesome, but it was fun to just ride around and check something new out and get some exercise.
    Late I know, but you want to be careful leaving the paths on the island. That could end you up with a hefty fine, or even in jail. They take conservation very seriously out there at times... Depending on who sees you. Just FYI..