never ender

might be moving to Amherst

Just found out that I got into grad school at UMass, so I'm going out there in a couple of weeks to have a look around. I posted a question about trails a few months back and got some good responses, but can anybody give me an idea of stuff to see in the weekend I'm out there, or just the general skinny on living in the area? Are jobs easy to come by? What's a good neighborhood to live in? Is beer readily available? Etc, etc.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    Just found out that I got into grad school at UMass, so I'm going out there in a couple of weeks to have a look around. I posted a question about trails a few months back and got some good responses, but can anybody give me an idea of stuff to see in the weekend I'm out there, or just the general skinny on living in the area? Are jobs easy to come by? What's a good neighborhood to live in? Is beer readily available? Etc, etc.
    Beer is much appreciated there. Lots of places stock great micro brews. Goto Amherst Brewing Co, its right downtown. When you're done w/ that go across the street and get a slice at Antonio's Pizza. They take pizza very seriously.

Also check out Northampton while you're there too ...the Northampton Brewery. As you can probably tell, I like beer. ...And the whole area has a smooth running free mass transportation system (via bus). Its a big help if you don't have a designated driver.

Northampton has a good music scene http://www.iheg.com/index.asp. The Iron Horse is a fun place to see live music.

That part of western MA is like another state compared to Boston. Its very progressive, political, and liberal with 5 major colleges crammed into a small area(with a good art and music scene). Some really love the area some hate it. Its almost impossible to be neutral.

Most neighborhoods are great but don't live too close to a frat. That will bug you when 300 kids are milling about drunkin yelling....
    Last edited by Locoman; 03-16-2007 at 06:31 AM.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That all sounds about right...

This weekend you wouldn't be able to tell-but the riding in the greater Amherst area is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Beer- Yes. The Moan and Dove - 15-20 draughts, 165 bottles. Best of all, it's on the way back home from great local trails at the Notch and Batchelor st. There's also a great packey, Spirit Haus, with most of of The Dove's beers and more. As locoman said, Northampton Brewing Company and Amherst Brewing company make good, fresh beers, too.

The riding around here is awesome, and there's TONS within 2 hours. Eastern Mass, Conn, and VT all have superb riding. Locally, there are everything from fast, smooth singletrack to super technical XC, and enough of it to make you wonder why you might drive 2 hours to ride elsewhere.

As a grad student, you may like Northampton better than Amherst as it's less of a college town. Northampton has a more urban feel, lots of bars and good music venues.

'real' jobs aren't the easiest thing to find here, but it can be done. What will you be in grad school for? Have you been to visit the area yet? Come this spring and bring your bike. I'll show you around the trails.

never ender
    Sounds awesome, thanks everybody. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks to check things out, but won't be able to bring the bike. I'm hoping that my department (urban & regional planning) can put me to work this summer though, so I can quit twiddling my thumbs and move out there in May.

mtbr member

hey fat weasel

Did we hook up for part of a ride this summer in Tahoe? My name's Erik, and I was in Tahoe for a few days back in July (this July too hopefully). Still got your Heckler?
    I went to UMASS and wasn't as serious about riding then, but a few guys in my dorm were and they took me out a few times. There is plenty of riding all over the place. If you want to check out some woodsy, semi-out there (20-30 min.) places, I lived out in Leveret, and had some friends that lived in Shutesbury, a bit more out in the woods. There are some nice restuarants too, along with the fine brew producing and serving establishments others have mentioned. And Locoman ain't kidding - Antonio's is good pizza! We used to chow down there after Ultimate practice.
    If it all works out, you've got an open invitation to ride up on the North Shore of Boston with a few locals. No huge climbs like Tahoe, but plenty of fun stuff to keep you interested and pedaling for as long as you want. Good luck.
    Erik
    ps - Did you wind up going to Hawaii?
    Wrecker of fine things

never ender
    Hey, what's up man! Yeah, I made it to Hawaii for a while, but it was kind of a bust. Just sent my confirmation stuff back to UMass this morning, so now I'm itching to move...if I could get away with it, I'd throw everything in the truck right now and take off.

mtbr member
    The Heckler will be a perfect bike for this area. We just got 8" of snow last weekend so the trails won't be rideable for a few more weeks anyway, until sometime in early April. You won't miss much of riding season if you get here in May.
    Where are you moving from?

mtbr member

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    Hey, what's up man! Yeah, I made it to Hawaii for a while, but it was kind of a bust. Just sent my confirmation stuff back to UMass this morning, so now I'm itching to move...if I could get away with it, I'd throw everything in the truck right now and take off.
    Its always great to have a new chapter on the verge of starting, I totally know what you mean about packing up the rig and hitting the road. Once you're settled and hook up with a few of the Pioneer Valley riders, I'd love to bring some of my crew out there for a ride, beer, and pizza. In that order probably.
    Does that mean you will be in the Amherst area for Springtime? Oh man, the memories are coming back to me. The scenery is awesome. And the landscape aint bad either.
    Enjoy your new scene.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things