Who are the brain police?

Medvac from Lynn Woods

Anyone catch this?

Biker rescued after fall in Lynn Woods
    By David Liscio
    Friday, July 28, 2006

LYNNFIELD -- Lynnfield police and firefighters carried a seriously injured mountain biker from rugged terrain in Lynn Woods to a waiting medical helicopter that landed on Route 1 during the morning commuter rush Thursday.

State police shut down the northbound lane of the highway for approximately 10 minutes while the rescue team loaded the victim into the helicopter, according to Trooper Veronica Dalton.

Authorities, citing privacy laws, identified the victim only as a male about 40 years old.
    Lynnfield Patrolman Stephen Conley said two men were riding mountain bicycles along trails flanked by steep ledge when one apparently missed a turn.

"These were extreme mountain bikers. He might have been going too fast or took a jump. He slid off the edge and was down about 15 feet when we reached him," said Conley, adding that firefighters used a basket-style stretcher and ropes to haul the injured man up the steep slope, then carried him a half mile to the waiting helicopter.

The incident unfolded shortly after 8 a.m. when Lynnfield police received a 911 emergency call from a Route 1 business. Conley said the victim's companion walked out of the woods near Full Blast, a Route 1 children's entertainment center, and asked to use a phone.

"The guy could barely talk," Conley said. "He was in too much pain to communicate what happened."

The biker was wearing shorts, a T-shirt, helmet and other body protection for knees and elbows, but may have injured his stomach or chest during the crash, Conley said.

Capt. Michael Feinberg, director of the Lynnfield Fire Department's Emergency Medical Services, said seven Lynnfield firefighters carried the stretcher over boulders and through underbrush.

"He appeared to have abdominal injuries," Feinberg said. "It looked like he hit a rock and went over the handlebars of his bicycle. The terrain out there is horrendous."

The fire captain said Lynnfield is called about twice annually for such emergencies. "These really aren't trails they're riding on. They're more like paths, with pallets set up as ramps that go up over the rocks.

The Medflight helicopter flew the victim to Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston. No information was available on the victim's condition.

Lynn Police Lt. David Brown said the Lynn department also received a cell phone call from the uninjured biker.

"He explained that his friend had crashed," Brown said, noting that the Lynn Department responded to the Great Woods Road entrance to the woods in case additional resources were needed for the rescue.

The caller's cell phone battery apparently weakened, forcing him to walk to Route 1 to use a business phone.

Thursday's incident recalled the tragic Lynn Woods mountain-biking accident that left David Kirby of Lynn paralyzed in September 2000.Kirby, too, struck a boulder and was hurled over the handlebars. Family members said Kirby is an inspiration to those who find themselves in a similar circumstance and continues to make progress despite his physical condition.

The link is here.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I just read about this over on BS. I just rode there Wednesday and this morning. Nothing challenges a rider like Lynn woods. Its seems to me you always have to be on your game there. This is why I won't ride there alone, at least not on that side of the park. I hope hes alright.
    Later
    Mark

MC MasterShake
    Oh crap. Poor guy. I ride those trails twice a week alone. But I don't try what these guys try. The stuff I do bangs up my shins and dents my bike but that big stuff I just won't try it anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

hmmm...

you are wise at your age, hobbit.

MBN
    mtbr member
    What big stuff are they talking about? Sounds like he fell off Skull Rock or something. I dont know how that could happen. Does anyone have any details on what he fell off of?

Who are the brain police?
    Not sure. But the quote from the captain is kinda funny "These really aren't trails they're riding on. They're more like paths, with pallets set up as ramps that go up over the rocks."

*not trails but paths?
    *and how many pallets are in LWs? There might be two or so...

I looked up the definition of trail..
    trail - a path or track roughly blazed through wild or hilly country.

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

xtrememaniak
    Nov 2005
    That sucks for that rider, does anyone know how he is doing. I've spilled many drops of blood and uprooted a tree in those woods before I moved west. It was those woods that grew my fascination with MTBing into a full grown addiction.