Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    mtbr member
    May 2014

2012 Scalpel 3

Just go this. Can't wait to get it out.Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-img_1621-2-.jpg

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Ashley Reservoir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-img_107004021275779.jpeg  

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by JFalcetti View Post
    Ashley Reservoir

Nice! Have you ridden the M&M on the other side of 202? Much more of a singletrack trail for a few miles & super low traffic. Fun to ride out to Mt. Tom from there.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    I haven't ridden that at all. Where do I pick it up?

achiever
    The easiest way is to hop on Apremont Highway from 202. Cruise down the road a short way & look for a trail on your right. I think there is a little no parking sign right where the trail starts. I think there is a trail sign that says "white lightning" on the left not too far in... You'll know you're on the right path if you look back & it looks something like this:

Img_0156 by m2phast, on Flickr

Eventually the trail seems to end at a little stream at the bottom of a hill. Look to your left & you'll see a trail intersection. Look for the "hellgate" trail sign & push up that crapfest of a trail. You can hop back on the bike at the top & ride for a while. Eventually, you'll come down another hill to a shooting range in Holyoke. The trail continues across the road. Follow it across a stream & climb up for a bit. After that you'll have to carry your bike up a rocky climb. From there, follow the trail down & you'll pop out on 141 directly across from the reservoir at the base of Mt. Tom.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride

I ride mostly in the Merrimack Valley area. This is my single speed honzo, ready to rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Greeting from Colorado. As life would have it, I met the girl of my dreams and will be moving to Boston at the end of the year. Love to ride and the word of good riding back east is making me excited to move out there. Definitely will have to recalibrate some expectations, but very excited. Shipped out my fully rigid 29+ WaltWorks for the time being and coming out Friday for ten days. Any suggestions for good primers for Boston-area riding. Planning on taking one day to drive somewhere 2+ hrs. to ride. Thinking Ascutney or Rutland. Thanks in advance and look forward to meeting some of you out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ah. The legendary Rontele. Change for a nickel brah?

Good riding all around here. Depends on where exactly you end up. Wompatuck and Foxboro south of town. Vietnam and others west of town. Lynn woods willowdale and georgetown on the north shore. G spot and greenwood on Cape Anne. Harold Parker, Russell Mill and LDTF in the Merrimack Valley. The fells and cutler park closer to town. And way too many more spots to mention. Very different riding from CO I'm sure but it's all good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    With that in mind, what is a good introductory ride to the area? Not interested in the free-ridey stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    With that in mind, what is a good introductory ride to the area? Not interested in the free-ridey stuff.
    For your rigid 29er Willowdale would be a lot of fun. Tons of trails in there, nearly all of them are fast and flowy. Most ride well in either direction so it's easy to have a good time even if you don't know your way around.

It's a very popular destination but most of the singletrack is unmarked. The mass DCR website has a map of fireroads and double track with numbered intersections so you could use that to find your way back to the car at the end of the day.

You could follow a route from strava or something too I guess?

DCR info: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr...te-forest.html

There is also weekly NEMBA ride from the Ipswich road side Monday evenings at 6

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, Birdman. This looks great. I actually might be able to join the NEMBA ride on Monday night this week and that could be a good intro to Willowdale. Navigating isn't an issue as we spend a bunch of time out here piecing together rides from maps, GPS, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Check out Cutler Park in Newton. Very fast riding, not too technical and about 10 minutes from Boston. Its a great place to stretch out a 29er hard tail and you can cover most the trails in less than a couple hours.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Greeting from Colorado. As life would have it, I met the girl of my dreams and will be moving to Boston at the end of the year. Love to ride and the word of good riding back east is making me excited to move out there. Definitely will have to recalibrate some expectations, but very excited. Shipped out my fully rigid 29+ WaltWorks for the time being and coming out Friday for ten days. Any suggestions for good primers for Boston-area riding. Planning on taking one day to drive somewhere 2+ hrs. to ride. Thinking Ascutney or Rutland. Thanks in advance and look forward to meeting some of you out on the trails.
    As a fellow former mountain west resident I can tell you a few things. Your biking world is going to change dramatically in Boston. There is no such thing as wide open space here, however they've done a helluva job building up the above mentioned trail systems which are very fun to ride.

Now for stuff that I would guess you're going to be more fond of I'd suggest becoming familiar with Northern New England, because that's the closest thing to big mountain riding you'll find here. Miles and miles of tall, flowy single track just don't exist in Eastern Mass.

Here's what I think you'll like-

1. North Conway, NH- Big Mountain climbing, (harder to find here than in Colorado) and easy to fairly easy to put together epic type rides (30-40 miles of non-repetitive single track and 3,000+ climbing).

2. Vermont, Vermont, Vermont- Vermont's 10 Best Mountain Bike Trails | Bicycling Magazine

3. Central/Western Mass- Get to know the guys at Batchelor Street/Earls Trails- There are a great group of guys out there that maintain an amazing set of trails. You can find maps but I highly suggesting going with a group.

4. Get to know the local riding organizations a bit (Diesel Bikes, Magnolia Bike Club, and NEMBA- regional powerhouse) just to name a few. They all tend to focus on slightly different areas/riding but knowing tons of guys/ladies from both groups I can tell you it's well worth your time to get to know people.

Another big difference you'll probably notice is things aren't exactly as welcoming as out West. You won't find trail markers on most systems like you do out west, a few of the larger ones do have them like Kingdom Trails, but generally if you ask for directions you'll be told something like (go down there to the first rock pile, turn left, when you hit the power lines head right until you see the 2nd opening in the trees, then go there, if you hit graffiti rock you've gone too far).

Anyways, just my .02 as a New England transplant. I can tell you for one thing there are 100's of miles of epic riding to be had here, but it isn't going to jump out and slap you in the face like Colorado does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    As a fellow former mountain west resident I can tell you a few things. Your biking world is going to change dramatically in Boston. There is no such thing as wide open space here, however they've done a helluva job building up the above mentioned trail systems which are very fun to ride.

Now for stuff that I would guess you're going to be more fond of I'd suggest becoming familiar with Northern New England, because that's the closest thing to big mountain riding you'll find here. Miles and miles of tall, flowy single track just don't exist in Eastern Mass.

Here's what I think you'll like-

1. North Conway, NH- Big Mountain climbing, (harder to find here than in Colorado) and easy to fairly easy to put together epic type rides (30-40 miles of non-repetitive single track and 3,000+ climbing).

2. Vermont, Vermont, Vermont- Vermont's 10 Best Mountain Bike Trails | Bicycling Magazine

3. Central/Western Mass- Get to know the guys at Batchelor Street/Earls Trails- There are a great group of guys out there that maintain an amazing set of trails. You can find maps but I highly suggesting going with a group.

4. Get to know the local riding organizations a bit (Diesel Bikes, Magnolia Bike Club, and NEMBA- regional powerhouse) just to name a few. They all tend to focus on slightly different areas/riding but knowing tons of guys/ladies from both groups I can tell you it's well worth your time to get to know people.

Another big difference you'll probably notice is things aren't exactly as welcoming as out West. You won't find trail markers on most systems like you do out west, a few of the larger ones do have them like Kingdom Trails, but generally if you ask for directions you'll be told something like (go down there to the first rock pile, turn left, when you hit the power lines head right until you see the 2nd opening in the trees, then go there, if you hit graffiti rock you've gone too far).

Anyways, just my .02 as a New England transplant. I can tell you for one thing there are 100's of miles of epic riding to be had here, but it isn't going to jump out and slap you in the face like Colorado does.
    Thanks. Had a good time riding out in my future home last week (back in Colorado for ten days). I'd agree that local knowledge is pretty key. Rode Otis on the Cape on Saturday and that was pretty awewsome, but got totally lost and double backed too much for the amount of trail out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Like the Fells and a secret spot with a nice wide river crossing out by Blood Forrest!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-image.jpg  

Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-image.jpg

Where I ride...and drink.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Little late on the reply. AZ native transplanted to Boston 2 years ago. Best riding anywhere up here is Kingdom Trails in East Burke VT. Worth every minute of the drive. In Boston area check out Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, and Adams farm ( In that order). Nothing else in town is worth the hassle of driving around in my opinion. Good luck and look out for Deer Flies - they really suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Niner MCR9 - Leicester, MA

Mass Riders, Post Your Bikes/Where You Ride-niner-mcr9.jpg

Hey everyone, I'm based in Leicester and I've been riding in NE for the last 6 years or so. This is my Niner MCR9. I messed around with full suspension 26ers and 29ers in the past and this thing is my dream bike. I've been on it for the last 2 years.

Favorite trails that are close by:
    Tantasqua Jr. High Trails (Sturbridge, MA)
    Water Works (Sutton, MA)
    Ribbon Candy (Millbury, MA)
    Worcester City Hiking Trails -> That lead to the real MTB Trails (Worcester, MA)

I used to ride with Blackstone Valley NEMBA quite a bit and might get back into it. I ride mostly solo, usually weekday mornings and some evenings. Hit me up if you want me to show you around any of these trails!

-Nate

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11