mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mass. new england wheel builders

looking to get a 29er wheelset , has anyone had work done by peter white in new hampshire . Or does anyone recomend anyone. I live in metrowest area , but am willing to travel to almost anywhere in mass . ,RI , Nh. Any ideas would be great , would even try a lbs thats highly recomended.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jeff at Milford Bike does great Work
    I'm Better known as Splat

I'm good at crashing
    Call Dave at Rockland Cycles...on the south shore. I am not 100 % sure what he does size wise but he is the man. He has a great rep with racers and the such...from what I have been told he is one of the premier wheel builders around.
    The number is (781) 878-7508 Shop opens at 10 A.M. most days

FartFigNewton
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwreck
    Call Dave at Rockland Cycles...on the south shore. I am not 100 % sure what he does size wise but he is the man. He has a great rep with racers and the such...from what I have been told he is one of the premier wheel builders around.
    The number is (781) 878-7508 Shop opens at 10 A.M. most days
    +1

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I still stand by Joe at Joe's Garage. Call him, order em' up, then get in your car drive the hour and a half pick the wheel up a week later and go beat the snot out of it 10min further up the road. Or ride your bike out.

Peter White is kind of a legend. That said... have you talked to him? Does he like 29ers or even mtbs for that matter?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    I still stand by Joe at Joe's Garage. Call him, order em' up, then get in your car drive the hour and a half pick the wheel up a week later and go beat the snot out of it 10min further up the road. Or ride your bike out.

Peter White is kind of a legend. That said... have you talked to him? Does he like 29ers or even mtbs for that matter?
    where is joes garage , can you give me some info . as for peter white have not talked to him yet but according to his site he does mtb wheel sets . but with what your talkin about joes i would like to call him

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Joe and his shop/training facility is located in Haydenville, MA (west of Northampton by about 10min and the gateway to such mtb wonders as Hawley and the DAR).

He's a bit of an institution in the cyclocross community, sponsoring the Cannondale road and cross development squads. His shop also serves as a training site for many of the top riders in western Ma. Out here, he's about as good as they come in regards to wheel builds. Very particular...

http://www.joesbikegarage.com/

That said, if you have a good guy in the 20min radius, what's your hesitation. As long as the builder is competent, it should be fine unless you are huge and ride like a clown.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena

That said, if you have a good guy in the 20min radius, what's your hesitation. As long as the builder is competent, it should be fine unless you are huge and ride like a clown.
    Good point Jason. Wheel building isn't rocket science... So long as the builder knows his stuff, gets the right parts and is reasonably experienced, you should be all set.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    Good point Jason. Wheel building isn't rocket science....
    do the following

a) By the book the Bicycle wheel
    b) a Park TS-1 truing stand
    c) Spoke wrench
    D) Rim, Spokes , hub and Nipples

DO IT !!!

it was one of the best things I ever did.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Five Hills Bikes in Waterbury, VT, ie, bike29.com. George builds a nice wheelset at a fair $
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Adam @ JRA has done a few wheels for me - he does a really good job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    Adam @ JRA has done a few wheels for me - he does a really good job.
    Thanks was thinking about those guys will give them a call . brian is a real good guy . talked with for about 1.5 hours one night about 29ers . did not get my bike from him but will prob. give him my money now for some wheels