mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Marthas Vinyard Trails... I need to know where to go

So im going to MV, wanna do biking there. I keep reading there are many trails, and have heard this, but no one ever has a map or tells me exactly where they are. I know groups ride there, but I am only going for the weekend.

Anyone have any maps? Or any explanation as to where I can find some good single tracks for biking?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    adventure my friend. no maps. limited beta. trails from one end to the other linked by years of trial, error, and intimate knowledge of the island.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    OK. This is what I get a lot. I am going to be in Edgar town area if anyone knows anything down there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    think airport and highlands. spread yer wings n fly my brother.

i can't wait to get back there for a week in september...........

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ah sept. not too hot and less people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yup, the day after labor day once joey has gone home. good surf is the goal for the sept trip. riding is just to kill time while waiting for it. as riding always is.

rog

Just a flesh wound

Sunday Morning

There is a ride from The Old Agricultural Hall in West Tisbury on Sunday at 9am. The group calls itself VORBA (Vineyard Off Road Bike Association). They do a 3 hour tour.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Skip the bike and focus on the other b's: beach, booze, and babes. And be careful if you ride on the road.

Female weekend warrior
    Couple weeks ago I did 15 miles on bike path (paved) thru vineyard haven, oak bluffs, and edgartown. There are Mtb trails on the island but we didn't know where to find them. Have fun!

mtbr member
    I wasn't able to make the VORBA ride last week, but I did ride Waskosim's Rock Trail in Chilmark. It's preety much a walking path where bikes are allowed. Some parts of the trail are mowed grass, some parts covered in wood-chips and some are double-track dirt paths. Part of the trail was recently trimmed back and I ended up with a thorn in the front tire 3 minutes into my ride, and one in my rear tire at the end of the ride. I put a full review in the MTBR trail section.

mtbr member
    I'll be in Edgartown this weekend too, as I often am, but not for biking, for one of the other "b"s.

A few weeks back I gave an Otis tour to some Vineyarders and was told about the extensive trails they have. All I know is up island is rockier, more technical, more hills. I would check out the land bank site and maps. Pretty sure a lot of those trails are open to bikes.

If you have time on your way out I'd suggest popping off 28 and hitting Otis. I'd offer a tour but my ride is currently unrideable.

EDIT: totally just saw this post is from like a year ago...

mtbr member
    I started at the Land Bank, and the map is just a map of the island showing their properties. Thee are no trail maps or anything, only a bicycle icon to tell you if it's bike friendly or not. I really wish I could have made the VORBA ride. Maybe next year when we go for two weeks. Have fun out there! The Vineyard is my favorite place on Earth!

mtbr member
    On the ferry now! I haven't mtb'ed the island yet but I have a few contacts. Plan to beig a car and such in the fall when it's cheaper. And yes the website sucks. I believe the actual paper map has more. Let me know when you come back. If I don't know trails but then I can put you in touch with those who do.