mtbr member

Marthas Vinyard:Road or MTB???????????

I'm going to be staying in the Vinyard 7/5-7/11. It's been over 25 years since I was there on my $50 10 speed bike Can anyone give me a reccomendation on what kind of bike to rent Road or MTB? Are there MTB trails there? FYI, I race both road and MTB. Thanks for your help!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

rack admirer

Get singletracks

The NEMBA magazine, singletracks publishes group MTB rides. You can probably get one in the LBS. There are weekly ones on the vineyard. I haven't looked it up in over a year. There must be singletrack in the state forest. Probably not too tech.

If you need to get around, the road bike might be your preference.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Busy week

I just had to cancel my trip to the vineyard for the 4th. I'm jealous..... First off, it is a very busy time to be heading to the island and it may make road biking somewhat hectic. The best time to head out would be early in the a.m. and then spend the rest of the day doing what you really should be doing (hanging out at the beach). The traffic and the roads can be a bit dangerous in some spots so just keep it in mind. I can tell you this, the roads on the vineyard are awesome for biking, once you get down into Chilmark and Aquinnah (gay head) it is fantastic. I know there is some solid singletrack on the island but I have no idea where to send you. I have spent a lot of time there but when I am there I am in full relaxation mode. Where are you staying? If you need any tips other than for biking let me know....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    I just had to cancel my trip to the vineyard for the 4th. I'm jealous..... First off, it is a very busy time to be heading to the island and it may make road biking somewhat hectic. The best time to head out would be early in the a.m. and then spend the rest of the day doing what you really should be doing (hanging out at the beach). The traffic and the roads can be a bit dangerous in some spots so just keep it in mind. I can tell you this, the roads on the vineyard are awesome for biking, once you get down into Chilmark and Aquinnah (gay head) it is fantastic. I know there is some solid singletrack on the island but I have no idea where to send you. I have spent a lot of time there but when I am there I am in full relaxation mode. Where are you staying? If you need any tips other than for biking let me know....
    We will be staying in Edgartown. Sounds like MTB is the way to go to , just easier to ride around town and to the beach. I do want to do get some serious rides in. I'll call the bike shop and see what they say. Best place for dinner?

mtbr member
    XC MTB is the way to go full suspention if you can get it. Roads are not that good down there so the full suspention will help your ars.
    Pedro "It's a sledgehammer."
    Napoleon "Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

If you have a bone sticking out of your leg, that's a good sign to stop riding for the day! Wise words from my brother. Thanks!

rack admirer

Click here

http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/grcapecod.html

also go to bike rag and they have directions and picks of singletrack in a state park
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/grcapecod.html

also go to bike rag and they have directions and picks of singletrack in a state park
    thanks Mr Magoo! Do you mean dirt rag or bike rag? Is there a web site?

rack admirer

Dirtrag.com, its gold, baby

a fine collection of maps. except for on MV. webmaster error, I suppose. In this case, you just get pics and the park name.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Atria

Atria- In Edgartown is my personal favorite. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    For Mt Biking - Your best bet it to stop by the Land Bank Office just outside Edgartown center. The map is $1 or $2 I think. There are several decent sized parcels of land up Island that have nice single track, there are maps of the trails at several points along the way. They can be linked together via some road riding to create good ride. If you look under the trail reviews on this site for Martha's Vineyard you will find some good info. There is a local NEMBA chapter that has rides on Sunday mornings I think. There are paved bike paths that connect OB, Edgartown and Vineyard Haven. In Edgartown the paved trails also lead to South Beach. These paved paths offer good protection from the traffic. The state park in the middle of the island has some ok riding in it as well, nothing technical that I have found but it does provide a good workout. The diner at the main airport and the grass strip airport by South Beach are both great for breakfast. Gio's in OB has great lobster rolls. Another great option is get over to Chappy, there are plenty of dirt roads to ride on and tons of access to basicaly secluded beaches.

I have a road bike also and have done a few cross Island rides as well. The ride out to Chilmark, Menemsha and Gay Head is great, Up Island is a totally different place. I visit my parents on the Vineyard 5 or 6 weekends a summer and I have only used my road bike 2-3 times in the past 10 years. I have a set of slicks that I leave there to mount on my mt bike for most of my road riding.

Hope all this helps.

FVH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fvh420
    For Mt Biking - Your best bet it to stop by the Land Bank Office just outside Edgartown center. The map is $1 or $2 I think. There are several decent sized parcels of land up Island that have nice single track, there are maps of the trails at several points along the way. They can be linked together via some road riding to create good ride. If you look under the trail reviews on this site for Martha's Vineyard you will find some good info. There is a local NEMBA chapter that has rides on Sunday mornings I think. There are paved bike paths that connect OB, Edgartown and Vineyard Haven. In Edgartown the paved trails also lead to South Beach. These paved paths offer good protection from the traffic. The state park in the middle of the island has some ok riding in it as well, nothing technical that I have found but it does provide a good workout. The diner at the main airport and the grass strip airport by South Beach are both great for breakfast. Gio's in OB has great lobster rolls. Another great option is get over to Chappy, there are plenty of dirt roads to ride on and tons of access to basicaly secluded beaches.

I have a road bike also and have done a few cross Island rides as well. The ride out to Chilmark, Menemsha and Gay Head is great, Up Island is a totally different place. I visit my parents on the Vineyard 5 or 6 weekends a summer and I have only used my road bike 2-3 times in the past 10 years. I have a set of slicks that I leave there to mount on my mt bike for most of my road riding.

Hope all this helps.

FVH
    Thanks for the information, I never thought this would be sucha hard choice. I talked with one of the bike shops and it appears there are no MTB's to rent that are dual suspention or even mid level. I plan on riding a few hours every day and said to go with a road bike. I can always switch to MTB when I get there

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    You don't need a high end bike or a full suspension on the trails. The single track that I know up Island does have a few sections that have some rocks and roots but for the most part is is just twisty, fast, short ups and downs. I almost always bring my hard tail.

Have fun.
    FVH

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I'm going to be staying in the Vinyard 7/5-7/11. It's been over 25 years since I was there on my $50 10 speed bike Can anyone give me a reccomendation on what kind of bike to rent Road or MTB? Are there MTB trails there? FYI, I race both road and MTB. Thanks for your help!
    I live just off-island in Falmouth. We ride on the Vineyard frequently as a day trip. A cyclocross bike is ideal, as most of the dirt stuff is dirt roads or short sections of singletrack. Or a mtn. bike with some narrow tires. A real rd bike would be limiting, as there are some sandy dirt roads to visit some cool stuff.
    From Edgartown, take the little ferry to Chappaquidick and ride out to Wasque Point. It's not too far and really really nice out there.
    The ride to Gay Head is really nice. I love Moshup Trail. Then take the little bike ferry to Menemsha and eat at Larsen's Fish Shack. You might see ex-pres. Clinton there.
    Avoid Tisbury/Vineyard Haven. Lots of Traffic.
    Lots of roads to ride, some dirt. It's nice to be able to ride the dirt roads.

If you need to rent a performance bike, try Corner Cycle in Falmouth. It's a 4 mile bike path ride from the ferry terminal. If you are taking the ferry from Woods Hole, you can grab a bike on the way. www.cornercycle.com. $168 for a week on a fisher tassajara. it's a high end shop with merlin and IF.

If you will be in Falmouth for any time, PM and I can direct you towards some riding here.

It will be really crowded that week! Be careful on the roads. You can put your bike on the bus if you want to just ride one way somewhere. But it's usually faster to just ride back.

As for food, we usually pack a lunch. Keep in mind that the island is dry (no booze) except for Edgartown and Oak Bluffs, so if you go somewhere else for dinner, BYOB. The Feast of Chilmark is a very nice restaurant.
    Only boring people get bored.