mtbr member
    Nov 2013

MA/NE MTB Blogs/Ride Reports

Hi all,

I'm pondering a move back to the Boston area and am hoping to pick a spot to live based at least partially on accessibility to riding in the area. To get an idea of what sort of rides are where, I've been trolling around looking for MTB blogs and ride reports for stuff around the Boston area/New England in general but have not had a ton of luck. Anyone know of good blogs/ride reports that I should check out?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Our site has a clickable map with trip reports on the top left of the page: Nor'Easter Backcountry

I live in Arlington and am surrounded by a decent amount of trails. This includes Belmont, Waltham and Lexington. Things are close enough that I can string together 10-20 mile rides on mostly dirt trails right out my back door. I'm also friends on Strava with a number of folks who regularly ride dirt through Newton, Needham, Wellesley and Weston. You can check out the Strava Global Map tool to see where folks ride (although some of the decent stuff that I know barely shows up on there)

Of course there are the Fells for Medford,Malden, Somerville and Blue Hills for points south like Milton, West Roxbury and Dedham.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about a specific town (to the extent that I can).

mtbr member

MA/NE MTB Blogs/Ride Reports

NEMBA has a lot of useful info on trails and areas to ride

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Our site has a clickable map with trip reports on the top left of the page: Nor'Easter Backcountry

I live in Arlington and am surrounded by a decent amount of trails. This includes Belmont, Waltham and Lexington. Things are close enough that I can string together 10-20 mile rides on mostly dirt trails right out my back door. I'm also friends on Strava with a number of folks who regularly ride dirt through Newton, Needham, Wellesley and Weston. You can check out the Strava Global Map tool to see where folks ride (although some of the decent stuff that I know barely shows up on there)

Of course there are the Fells for Medford,Malden, Somerville and Blue Hills for points south like Milton, West Roxbury and Dedham.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about a specific town (to the extent that I can).
    Thanks! It was actually your blog that inspired me to make this request since it was such a good resource but made me want more (I read the whole thing, hah). I'll ping you if/when I come up with more specific questions - thanks for the offer and for putting together your blog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A little more specific than Boston area? I'm north of Boston in Wilmington. Great riding all around my area. Within 7 miles of pedaling distance I have 50+ miles of great trails. Some connect by a few miles of pavement. Where would you be working? And living? In general, commuting from south of Boston sucks, with better options west or north of the city. Options exist for car, bike or train too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    A little more specific than Boston area? I'm north of Boston in Wilmington. Great riding all around my area. Within 7 miles of pedaling distance I have 50+ miles of great trails. Some connect by a few miles of pavement. Where would you be working? And living? In general, commuting from south of Boston sucks, with better options west or north of the city. Options exist for car, bike or train too.
    For a weekend morning/afternoon ride around where I'm located now, it's pretty standard to drive 45 minutes - an hour to get there so that's the range I'd be looking at now. I'll likely be living right in Boston, at least to start out; A/B or maaaybe Dorchester

mtbr member
    You should take a look at Somerville too. Comparable to A/B (students,nightlife,distance to city) but its within easy (trail) riding distance of the Fells, Western Greenway, and Lexington conservation lands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This isn't quite a blog, but it has good ride descriptions and an even better UI:

Mountain Bike Trails near Massachusetts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    This isn't quite a blog, but it has good ride descriptions and an even better UI:

Mountain Bike Trails near Massachusetts
    I used that Mountain Bike Project App on a recent trip to Colorado and was pretty pleased with the trail info and maps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks folks, good stuff. I hadn't thought of Somerville but that might be a good option. Seems like there's some good no-car-needed riding out in that direction

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw2828 View Post
    Thanks folks, good stuff. I hadn't thought of Somerville but that might be a good option. Seems like there's some good no-car-needed riding out in that direction
    I live in Somerville (moved here from Colorado 3 years ago). I really like the neighborhood, I am right on the Cambridge border near Inman square. Nice place but fairly expensive (2br apartments are ~$2000-$3000 a month) to live. Most neighborhoods near Boston/Cambridge are going to be pricey though, costs go down the further you get.

The Middlesex fells are an easy ride from here, and makes for a nice few hours of riding to go there, do an hour or two of trails, and head home. Most of the other riding I do is a 30+ min drive, but it isn't too bad, just not really easy for weekdays. I work in Waltham (~6 mile ride from home), need to check out those Belmont/Waltham/Lexington trails for lunchtime/after work rides.

Let me know if you have any questions about neighborhoods...I'm still learning the various trail systems, they are hard to navigate. Explored Willowdale last weekend, followed a GPS track on RideWithGPS, worked out pretty well but I did have to stop at every intersection to check I was going the right way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ Most of the NEMBA chapters have weekly rides listed on their FB pages, great way to get to know the trail systems.

mtbr member
    Colorado- There's a NEMBA ride that tours Belmont Rock Meadow on Mondays, and also I'd be happy to meet up sometime and show you around. I (infrequently) am able to do a mostly singletrack commute from Arlington to Newton (through Waltham) on the Greenway and could show you what I know. I'd also be happy to show you the stuff around Arlington/Lexington if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Colorado- There's a NEMBA ride that tours Belmont Rock Meadow on Mondays, and also I'd be happy to meet up sometime and show you around. I (infrequently) am able to do a mostly singletrack commute from Arlington to Newton (through Waltham) on the Greenway and could show you what I know. I'd also be happy to show you the stuff around Arlington/Lexington if you're interested.
    Thanks! I am always hesitant to join group rides, I find they can end up with a bunch of standing around and waiting. I am going to bring my SS into work tomorrow and check out the Belmont trails after work. My office is about a mile from the Beaver St. trailhead, doesn't look like it is too hard to find the trails, I downloaded the MTBProject app yesterday. I may take you up on a tour of the arlington/lexington trails in the coming weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Rode the Western Greenway from Bentley to Pleasant street last night after work from the office, then looped back through beaver brook on a trail near the train tracks, fun ride, being on a SS made it even harder. I have to say, for being in an 'urban' area, those trails are really fun. Narrow, twisty, a little technical, and like I said, riding them on a rigid SS makes them super challenging. The loop was 11.5mi, took me a little under 2 hours, although I had to stop many many times to look at the map and figure out where I was going (which unfortunately resulted in me dropping my phone and cracking the screen...). Other than that mishap, that is a super fun ride that I will definitely be doing more frequently before and/or after work. The trails are a real spiderweb, I got turned around a few times and headed down off-shoots that led into neighborhoods and backyards a few times. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I knew they were there, just didn't think they were worth bothering with. They are covered in poison ivy though...I don't think I react to it, fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    . They are covered in poison ivy though...I don't think I react to it, fingers crossed.
    Yeah, there is a high penalty for failing to successfully negotiate the trail. That's one way to cut down on cheat lines.

mtbr member
    I'm +1'ing Somerville/north of Boston for living. I live in Southie, and love it, but would rather be in Somerville. Easier to escape the city (especially for riding).