mtbr member
    Dec 2011

In MA (from CA) on the 19th-21st, where to ride?

Probably only realistically have time to get one solid ride in (morning, figure 2-3 hrs). Haven't ridden in MA since the mid 90s, will be NE of Boston, any recommendations of where to go?

Also, if anyone can reco any shops that demo interesting bikes, I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What town are you going to be in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I will be visiting my sister soon and also curius on local trails within an hr of the city....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Will be in Marblehead. Used to ride all the local stuff around there (salem, some Beverly, Lynn Woods), just haven't been in 15 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Willowdale [Ipswich, MA]

Willowdale is always a great ride. Miles of great singletrack! Looks like it's about 40 minutes from Marblehead. I could meet you there and show you some of the best trails if you wanted to.

Williodale

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I live in Salem and ride primarily in Willowdale.

A little closer is Greenwood Ave/Beverly Commons in Beverly. Depends on what you're looking for. Greenwood is less buff.

Centraal Cycle in Beverly has at least a few Santa Cruz demo bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just spoke with the guys at Centraal Cycle, sounds like they have a large SC tall boy to ride. Going to firm that up with them tomorrow. I'm game to ride whatever/where ever. I like the more tech-y riding and given that NE is so much different from SoCal I'd like to get my quota of granite in, where ever that may be

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    I like the more tech-y riding and given that NE is so much different from SoCal I'd like to get my quota of granite in, where ever that may be
    Sounds like you should go to Lynn.

Lynn Woods Reservation Information

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, Lynn. There's been changes, but still no shortage of granite.

Being an old timer, you might shed a tear about the Bow Ridge trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The guys at Centraal are great. The route 128 corridor from Beverly to Gloucester has great technical trails. Here's an example of linking a few together (Greenwood to Gordon College to Pine Street):

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 13miles near Beverly | Times and Records | Strava

There's tons of stuff on either side of the highway past that too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    sounding like im just going to hit up greenwood ave in beverly around 9 tomorrow am, a couple options fell through with personal connections. if anyone is game to ride, just look for me there a little early, will be on a demo santa cruz tb, green shorts, poc knees and likely black everything else. aiming for a solid few hours, inclusive of some gopro footage to show my buddies in CA what its like out here :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So how was it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wanted to meet up with you there yesterday, but I was super hung over...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Was a cool area. Ended up getting there an hour early (oops), so I rode around for a few. After an hour or so I met up with 4 random guys riding around, and tagged along with them for another couple hours. Seems like we did everything in there a couple times, good stuff. The only two features I didn't do were the 5 foot to flat and the gap drop-to-flat, which would have both been sketchy or a bike-breaker for a sub 100mm 2011 tallboy - lol.

Can't believe we only rode 9 miles with like 400 feet of vert. That's the first quarter mile of most rides I do That being said, sluffing around by myself was interesting with all the trails covered in leaves. There was quite a bit of wondering where the trail went, I could see the park would be a LOT of fun on a bigger bike, so many chances to make your own lines off the side of the main trail. Let alone the jumps / drops / bridges other people have made.

Got my fix of rocks for a while, good stuff!