mtbr member

Lynn Woods -- What Is Going On?

Does anyone have any information regarding what the status of biking is in Lynn Woods? I have heard so many stories from limiting the trail network to closing the area to us mountain bikers. Cannot seem to get a straight story.

Also, any information about the trails killed by the development on Bow Ridge. Is this development going to expand further?

Lastly, is anyone doing anything about preserving freeriding in Lynn Woods? Last thing I don’t want to happen is one day showing up to the Woods and find out that it is closed to us or more land is gone to development.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Diesel, status is ok as far as I know, rode there today. The ridge for the most part is long gone but what's left is not half bad. Rest assured that the development will continue to ithe edge of the private land but not into the city owned land.

Closing Lynn down to bikes is not imminent from what I hear, some trail or areas closed perhaps likely. Not sure what you do to preserve freeriding, the area is managed and they have a trail system that they want you to use. A lot of the riding is off the system, so what do you suggest?

Here's mine. No stunts or structures, no new trail. Keep it quiet, ride safe so you don't need a trip out in the copter. Think about observing the seasonal closure (Jan 1- Apr 15) and night riding ban. Enjoy what we have. It may not always be there, it may not be what is once was, but it's pretty damned good.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle
    Diesel, status is ok as far as I know, rode there today. The ridge for the most part is long gone but what's left is not half bad. Rest assured that the development will continue to ithe edge of the private land but not into the city owned land.

Closing Lynn down to bikes is not imminent from what I hear, some trail or areas closed perhaps likely. Not sure what you do to preserve freeriding, the area is managed and they have a trail system that they want you to use. A lot of the riding is off the system, so what do you suggest?

Here's mine. No stunts or structures, no new trail. Keep it quiet, ride safe so you don't need a trip out in the copter. Think about observing the seasonal closure (Jan 1- Apr 15) and night riding ban. Enjoy what we have. It may not always be there, it may not be what is once was, but it's pretty damned good.
    well put.

Hey thanks for getting in touch with me for a ride.
    Saturday Fort Rock 10 am
    if you r interested.
    Voltron

mtbr member

Freeriding in Lynn Woods

Ramshackle, thanx for the glimmer of good news. As far as my term about freeriding, I understand the issues about stunts and structures, however there are plenty of natural stunts (i.e. rock drops, dirt jumps etc.) in Lynn Woods. What is the status of preserving these natural stunts? I mean keeping them clean of tree limb, put in some dirt where areas are becoming rutted. Stuff like that.

Are their any organizations handling these issues? Remember, we now have two different breeds of riders in the woods now; XC’s and freeriders.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DB

Not sure you got my point that many freeride features are off the official trail system, so this makes it difficult to maintain or preserve these features (or many of the commonly ridden XC trails that are off-system), especially for an organization.

NEMBA has had a long history at Lynn. Busted Spoke and the Sinister crew have contributed a great deal. The trend may be toward closure of some areas/trails, but if all types of riders cooperate with management, there is at least hope that some of the off-system stuff might become official.

I'm curious what you think of the "ballfield" trail. Is this something that appeals to freeriders or could be made more appealing? Also, interested in what are the most critical areas to preserve from your perspective (PM if you think that makes more sense).

Authority is dead!
    If you're talking about that trail that goes up and loaded with switchbacks, I think it was a wated efford. Would've been much better if the time that was spent bilding it was contributed to cleaning/mainaining the woods and existing trails. Just check out next time how many people go there VS how many people go straight (left the the reservoir). That's my point of view on it.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Ramshackle,

Well it appears that it’s about time to try to get these shall we say “unofficial trails” OFFICIAL. I seen the latest copy of the Lynn Woods trail network and many trails that have been there for not only years but decades are not listed. Much older maps of the reservation have a much larger trail network. This posed two major problems:

1)If some one gets hurt on a trail that is not listed, then it takes hours to find them.
    2)If the trail is considered unofficial, then I assume that any i.e. maintenance is illegal.

Now as far as my statement about natural rock drops, most of the drops that I do are in the flow of the trail network. Take that some loops have been built (long time ago) but for the most part there on the path. I have seen some new trails cut over the past two years and must say that they are better because the original trail runs into water and/or swamp. They may be illegally cut, but in the end, the trail is better.

As far as the ball-field trail, I have been there a few times, but it is a pain to lug a 40 to 50 pound bike up those trails. Now, once at the top there is some potential, but the hike right now is a pain.

I would agree with LUCKY13’s position. Let’s put time and resources into what we have, before going and cutting new stuff.

Black Lion

My thoughts.

The "Ballfield Trail" in therory was a great idea for freeriders, but they can't get to it easily as Diesel stated. I happen to like the trail, but I am on a 28 lb trailbike and love to climb. Furthermore the trail is an out and back at this point, and built to compensate for the loss of the ridge trail going up towards the water tower. A very well constucted trail. That is not very user friendly for the targeted users. Better access is needed on the near side of the ball field so that all the narly stuff can be ridden in the downhill direction. Cater the freeride trail for freeriders.

Off system trails have been in existance for as long as I can remember, the trail map does not reflect what is out there at present time. Some of these trails have been there for ten plus years, and are not going to go away. The number of renegade trails are low in comparison. An illegal trail is an illegal trail, but we have to be realistic. One cannot suddenly declare a trail off system or illegal, when it has been there and maintained for years. I am not advocating illegal lines, trails or any of the like. Just trying to be realistic in the assesment. I think a true assesment of the trails is needed, and judgements need to be made from there. Taking into account condition, years of use, and possible environmental impacts of said trails. One spot in mind is the trail through Tomlins' Swamp. Been there forever, not likely that people are going to not want to ride it. Why not work it so the effects are minimized. Building a wooden bridge over the most fragile area like the one on the Overlook Trail. Not only would the impact be lessend, but bikers as well as hikers would be able to enjoy a natural beauty in the reservation up close.

Freeriding is not the same as building illegal stunts. Education is the key.
    With the advent of better suspension and bigger bikes that brings a whole new set of situations in the reservation. Freeriders are not the problem. the problem is a few misguided folks who have little respect for anything other than getting their adrenaline on. Plenty of people ride big hit bikes in Lynn Woods and are all about keeping the place open for years to come and are willing to do what it takes to see that happen. The big bikes are scary to some, they look like motorcycles. That is a negative stereotype that needs to be broken. I personally am a cross-country guy. But ride with plenty off dudes on big hit bikes and love what they are doing, and the skill that it takes to pull off the big moves. You guys should be able to have your fun. But not at the cost to others. Use spotters. Go out there in the reservation and seek out the huge rocks to roll and drop. There are plenty of them out there to be found. If you can't find them drop me a line and I will be more than happy to show you.

Above all we ALL need to be responsable for out actions. Don't ride over our abbilities causing serious injury, then calling for medical rescue. This looks bad. Accidents can happen sure, but lets try and limit our bad exposure. One persons sick ten foot drop off could be anothers warm up run. Common sense is the key.
    Voltron

mtbr member

Message Well Stated

Yogreg,

I think your message sums up the hold problem. There is a define perception of freeriders and lack of communication regarding the trail network.

I think we bikers need to put a plan together and resolve these issues.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbikes
    Yogreg,

I think your message sums up the hold problem. There is a define perception of freeriders and lack of communication regarding the trail network.

I think we bikers need to put a plan together and resolve these issues.
    I agree there is a definate negative perception of "Freeriders" but lets remember that some of that negativity has been brought on by you guys. Some right, some big time wrong. Lumping all freeriders into one bad image catagory is not the right approach however. In my opinion that is what is going on to some extent. Not good!

Communication is key as you stated. We need a clear understanding of the rules, have them posted, and WE all must follow. This means even if we do not fully agree. A dialogue between interested parties is a great way to get things rolling.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No doubt that it be good if some of the non-system trail could be included as a part of the sanctioned trail system. Not sure there is much leverage right now to accomplish that objective. Something to work towards though. I'm interested in your opinions about what are critical trails/areas to try to include.

It does appear that there was some misconception on the ballfield trail. Too bad, a lot of effort went into it, it's totally legal, got some serious technical challenges, and it seems easy to access in that it's close to the parking lot. The old trail up to the water tower and Bow Ridge isn't that bad of a climb - one push up the big rock face and you are up to the play area below the houses. Consider giving it another try.

I don't think the issues at Lynn have much to do with perceptions of freeride. More to do with on the ground changes due to all forms of use and the perceived need to manage the area more effectively.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I agree there is a definate negative perception of "Freeriders" but lets remember that some of that negativity has been brought on by you guys. Some right, some big time wrong. Lumping all freeriders into one bad image catagory is not the right approach however. In my opinion that is what is going on to some extent. Not good!

Communication is key as you stated. We need a clear understanding of the rules, have them posted, and WE all must follow. This means even if we do not fully agree. A dialogue between interested parties is a great way to get things rolling.
    Unfortunately there always will be a few rednecks who will be too cool to follow the rules.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Doh....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This also just in, We landed on the moon, We landed on the moon. Yeaaaahhhh

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Somehow my post got put in this thread.... Didnt mean to, but it did, so hence the "doh"....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com