mtbr member

Good job! Lynn Woods Trail Day - Saturday 9/12/09

On Saturday September 12, 2009, Dieselbikes will be holding our third of four Trail Maintenance days in Lynn Woods. This trail day has been approved by the Lynn Woods Park Management. Saturday will be phase 3 re-condition work on the area known as the Wolf pits. We will require a ton of volunteers to complete the job on Saturday. The trail work site is a 20 minute walk from the Ballfield Parking lot. Here is what you need to know:

Start Time and Meeting Location:
    Everyone should meet at the Ballfield Parking lot (Great Woods Road) at 9:00am. We will be leaving the parking lot by 9:15 after a trail safety/work review meeting and head to the job site. If you can not make it there by 9:15, come any way and just ride or walk out to the work site. We will put you to work when you get their.

Mapquest link to Ballfield Parking Location
    http://tinyurl.com/dcjfue

Project Weather/Cancellation Notice:
    Dieselbikes works regardless the weather conditions are rainy or sunny. If inclement weather such as but not limited to severe lighting, heavy rain, nor'easters and or snow, we will then post a cancellation notice one day prior on the homepage of our website.

Estimated Project Time:
    We accept this project to take 4-5 hours to complete. If you bring your bike, you can be the first to ride the new trail we will be installing! We may have a group ride after the trail day, but this is weather and or time dependent.

What to Bring:
    Bring your own bug spray, food, water, pair of work gloves and eye protection. Weather is always questionable, so dress appropriately. Bring your bike is encouraged but always optional. Please remember, at this point in time Dieselbikes does not have the funds to provide lunch. It is suggested you bring your own food, snacks water and/or drink.

What WE are going to do:
    We will be rock armoring the lower section of the Wolf Pit’s Trail climb to create a long-term sustainable trail thread. Much rock armoring has been completed to the upper eroded trail climb greatly reducing the persistent erosion caused by water and trail braiding. The armoring has also assisted in narrow the trail thread and eliminating additional braiding that caused further erosion. By applying this same repair technique to the lower trail section, this will yield similar results for long term sustainability.

There is a ton of work and we will need groups of people to armor sections of the trail thread and dig a long trench for water run off. This will be a labor intensive day (5-6 hours) and tools will be provided for this work day. If you have your own personal tools you rather work with, feel free to bring them, but you are responsible for your own property.

Please e-mail (info@dieselbikes.com) if you need further information.

For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No offense, cause I know you have good intentions, but Lynn Woods has a reputation as being a bit technical. Why not put forth the effort to fix the sections of fireroad that are eroded and not very rider friendly instead of ruining a perfectly good climb that is classic Lynn Woods terrain. Your work from a few years back has eliminated the threat of any future erosion on the lower part of that trail. Changing the existing line just further alters everything that Lynn Woods is. That line is perfectly rideable. Maybe not by all, but by some, and those that can't ride it may be able to someday, but not if you smooth it out by "rock armoring" it. I don't understand the continuous effort to make Lynn Woods something for everyone. Riders don't go there to ride terrain that everyone can ride. They go there to test themselves and improve their skills. Those who want something easy go to Harold Parker. Let's not try to turn Lynn into something easy. Some things aren't meant for everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    No offense, cause I know you have good intentions, but Lynn Woods has a reputation as being a bit technical. Why not put forth the effort to fix the sections of fireroad that are eroded and not very rider friendly instead of ruining a perfectly good climb that is classic Lynn Woods terrain. Your work from a few years back has eliminated the threat of any future erosion on the lower part of that trail. Changing the existing line just further alters everything that Lynn Woods is. That line is perfectly rideable. Maybe not by all, but by some, and those that can't ride it may be able to someday, but not if you smooth it out by "rock armoring" it. I don't understand the continuous effort to make Lynn Woods something for everyone. Riders don't go there to ride terrain that everyone can ride. They go there to test themselves and improve their skills. Those who want something easy go to Harold Parker. Let's not try to turn Lynn into something easy. Some things aren't meant for everyone.

Silly you Kubaner, How dare you talk to Mr Diesel that way.. Didn't you know that Frank diesel AKA "Mr Lynn Woods" The Mayor of Mountain bike ville. the guy who "THINKS" he owns Lynn woods (after riding their for all of six years). that he can just snap his fingers and have you banned from his woods at anytime? Consider yourself warned.......CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    This area has been a major concern for park management long before Dieselbikes ever became involved with trail maintenance. Much of the erosion that occurred in the past has been greatly slowed but it will never stop.

The work to be accomplished this coming Saturday will not alter the current uphill climb. We are not removing any rocks, boulders or flattening out the trail. The climb will still be as technical as it is today.

Yes, the upper section has become easier but that was the only option given to Dieselbikes when we proposed to repair this area. We had to make what was their work, narrow the trail and reduce erosion. I believe the work that has been complete in this area was a well balanced compromise between what mountain bikers wanted (keeping Lynn as technical as possible) and what park management wanted (something not dangerous and sustainable for ALL park users).

Much of the armoring required is going to be used to stop trail side erosion and opening up the drainage ditch for the 10inch PVC pipe installed 4 years ago. The only reason the area still appears to be stable is because 4 to 5 times a year during our group rides (and I am sure other riders are doing the same), we are making sure the drainage pipe is clear and putting back rocks that have either moved because of user traffic or weather related conditions. If it was not for this continuous maintenance, the hill climb would not hold up and we would be back to square one.

The sections of fire road that have eroded are a completely different story. The fire roads are not considered trails and require a whole list of City departmental approvals. Trust me, we have submitted projects to fix the fire roads, so has NEMBA in the past and so has General Electric, it’s just not that simple…wish it was cuz they would be fixed.

We do not and will not ever make Lynn Woods less technical; in fact we are trying to make it more but must work this through with the City. I feel the work we have completed in the past 5 years has not make Lynn any less technical. In fact we have be able to incorporate rock jumps, steep rock climbs and had the City approve some illegally cut trails that were there long before Dieselbikes was around which has added more challenges.

Again it’s a political balancing act that is not just a few hours of volunteer time per year…its more like a full time job…and frankly I do sometimes feel like throwing in the towel and giving up.
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    Ahhh, yes. The pussification of expert lines. Be it by land managers or by less than expert individual riders. FKN sucks. I'm thinking of getting a road bike, at least the roads are more technical. I love the term "usable for all users" ...can't wait to pave b&t's so my dad can hit up the barn drop in his wheelchair . Oh wait...barn drop is gone. There are tons, and tons and tons of trail for the less than expert and "other trail users". There are none left for expert rides. Even lift accessed riding is experiencing a "dumbing" down of many of their trails. I don't like it.

Ya, I've pretty much had it. Seems like nobody used these "woods" for yrs, except junkies, squatters, motor vehicle users, common riff raff, sexual deviants, etc. MTB's come along clean things up improve the areas. Hikers, ie "other trail users", catch wind and jump in AFTER all the work mtbers do. Message to land managers...MTBrs improved the trail systems. Hikers, well, I'd lke to say "they do sh*t", but I'm sure there is one or two that have done something, so I'll say, they don't do much except complain to land managers. Land managers, for some reason never explained to me, kiss hikers azz. MTBers get the shaft. But...this is when it's gets even more asinine, land managers have trail maintenance days to make trails more hiker friendly. Mtbrs show up, do the work just so we can still use the land, the hikers...well, they never show up for work days. I now include a tube of KY jelly with every frame purchase. Might as well make getting boned in the azz less painful.
    Last edited by btf95; 09-13-2009 at 05:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by btf95
    Ahhh, yes. The pussification of expert lines. Be it by land managers or by less than expert individual riders. FKN sucks. I'm thinking of getting a road bike, at least the roads are more technical. I love the term "usable for all users" ...can't wait to pave b&t's so my dad can hit up the barn drop in his wheelchair . Oh wait...barn drop is gone. There are tons, and tons and tons of trail for the less than expert and "other trail users". There are none left of expert rides. Even lift accessed riding is experiencing a "dumbing" down of many of their trials. I don't like.

Ya, I've pretty much had it. Seems like nobody used these "woods" for yrs, except junkies, squatters, motor vehicle users, common riff raff, sexual deviants, etc. MTB's come along clean things up improve the areas. Hikers, ie "other trail users", catch wind and jump in AFTER all the work mtbers do. Message to land managers...MTBrs improved the trail systems. Hikers, well, I'd lke to say "they do sh*t", but I'm sure there is one or two that have done something, so I'll say, they don't do much except complain to land managers. Land managers, for some reason never explained to me, kiss hikers azz. MTBers get the shaft. But...this is when it's gets even more asinine, land managers have trail maintenance days to make trails more hiker friendly. Mtbrs show up, do the work just so we can still use the land, the hikers...well, they never show up for work days. I now include a tube of KY jelly with every frame purchase. Might as well make getting boned in the azz less painful.
    Bravo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Pave B&T's and ride it on road bike's. Sweet!! If that doesn't get a spot in the next X Games then somethings wrong. Sinister Logo lycra body suits? You can be sensitive and a badass all at the same time. Throw in some of that KY and you may even attract some hikers!