Thread: Lynn woods lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Lynn woods lost

Hello all. Im a recent immigrant to the Boston area, and have lately been trying to get more mtb'ing in
    as it's been a lean year for me where I came from. I did the fells a few times and quickly got bored with that,
    so yesterday for the first time, I sojourned over to Lynn Woods. It's a beautifal area. I became enthralled with it
    (and the trails) quite quickly. I tried to use the North Shore of the pond as my base trail, and then, following the
    directions ofo a local I came across, took the first roght up the hill. (some signs showed the name "Overlook Trail")

followed this trail until it got smaller, then I took a singletrack to the right, thinking it ally lead to the other trail.
    I quickly lost track of which trail was which, so I tried to stick to the trail with the blue markings which eventually lead me
    into a clearing neaqr soome power lines. I took a couple little trails to the Fat Saguaro restorant, met some nice folks over there,
    one of which cslled s csb for me, as I needed one to get back to the Great Woods parking area where my vehicle was parked.

So the upshot of this long story is, I got lost, or at least, there wasn't enough daylight to find my way back, and I certainly
    didn't want to attempt it in the dark.

So, now the ques./proposition: would any of you local mtb'ers care to show me around ? Or could I go on a couple rides with you
    at the place of your choice. I will purchase the after ride refreshments.

Thanks for reading,

le_buzz aka adam

ps I dont have regular internet access, so the fastest way to reach me is to call or text at (520) 789 - 1419

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got a map? NEMBA forums should have one or try diesel bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Diesel Bikes meets every Tuesday night at 6pm at the IHOP on rt one for rides.
    If you go to their website, you can sign up for their weekend rides, and you will get an e-mail telling you where they are riding, and when to meet.
    Also, on most weekends and after work there are plenty of riders who would ride with you and show you the network.
    Have fun, and get some pads.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Diesel Bikes meets every Tuesday night at 6pm at the IHOP on rt one for rides.
    If you go to their website, you can sign up for their weekend rides, and you will get an e-mail telling you where they are riding, and when to meet.
    Also, on most weekends and after work there are plenty of riders who would ride with you and show you the network.
    Have fun, and get some pads.
    Thanks for the replies and the tips. I have seen the map at diesel and while its the best map Ive come across,
    it looks like it could be hard to actually match up the loops on the map with actual trails.
    I plan on doing another ride out there tomorrow (now that Ive finally found a good place to ride I dont
    think I'll be able to stay away from there. I will try to meet up with the diesel guys on the weekends.
    'll need a stronger light before I can joim their evening rides. Thanks again, and hope to
    see some of you out there !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz View Post
    ... I got lost, or at least, there wasn't enough daylight to find my way back, and I certainly didn't want to attempt it in the dark.

You might replace your stem cap with a bubble compass to keep yourself better aware of your direction of travel.

Amazon.com: StemCAPtain Black Compass/Black Base Headset Top Cap: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member

Re: Lynn woods lost

Got a smartphone? Install an app called Maprika. It's an app that shows where you are on "maps" created by any author. The Diesel Bikes map of Lynn Woods is on there!

Install Maprika.
    Install the Diesel Bikes trail map.
    Check your phone as you ride to see where you are on THAT map.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    im gonna try that too, I keep feeling as though I am not finding the best stuff too.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pdon View Post
    im gonna try that too, I keep feeling as though I am not finding the best stuff too.
    It's actually a pretty small place (the north side is where most of the mtb trails are). If you don't want to come out for the Tuesday night rides then just go explore, use maprika, and head down any singletrack you find. You're not going to end up really lost, you'll always get dumped back to a fire road and using maprkia, strava or even google maps you can always orient back to 3 things (the pond, route 1 or the powerlines). You're never far from any of those things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Wink yes,its quite small

Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    It's actually a pretty small place (the north side is where most of the mtb trails are). If you don't want to come out for the Tuesday night rides then just go explore, use maprika, and head down any singletrack you find. You're not going to end up really lost, you'll always get dumped back to a fire road and using maprkia, strava or even google maps you can always orient back to 3 things (the pond, route 1 or the powerlines). You're never far from any of those things.
    I. Think you'll get a better ride in by hitting a place like Harold Parker s.f. there's a surprisingly good mix of trails that seem to flow well together. It's also a bit small, but better choices overall

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Harold Parker small? 35 + miles if you rode everything with a loop over to Ward Hill as well. Some great single track @ Ward including some awesome stuff on the front side behind the new condos.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    Lynn Woods is over 2,000 acres.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, that's true in total. But I don't know many people who venture to the south side, on bike, which is a lot of that acreage. There's not a whole lot for us over there, although I have found a few decent sections of singletrack. It would be nice if the entire 2200 acres was built up like the north side.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah harold parker definitely seems WAY, way bigger than lynn even though HP is a little over 3000 and Lynn is a little over 2000

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks for the info... I have been back a few times now, starting to piece it together a bit now. I am sticking to the North Side, parking at the baseball field, riding out to route one, heading up to the "playground trails" by the firetower and working my way back towards the start. I'm probably going to park in that bike lot behind the kelly dealership in the future.