mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lynn Woods & Dogs

just wanted to vent a little here. For the second time in two weeks, I've been nipped by a dog while riding in Lynn woods. Do any of the owners read the signs or know the rules about dogs being on a leash??!! Drives me nuts that 9 of 10 people I see with dogs never have them on a leash. They let their pets run around and nip people all day. Most just brush these encounters off and say "don't worry, he's/she's friendly, they won't bite". Sure, they may be frinedly to you but not to strangers!! I see more than a few dogs swimming in the pond. Isn't the pond the city's drinking water supply? I shouldn't feel like I have to carry pepper spray every time I ride, should I? Am I making a mountain of of a molehill? Am I the only one this happens to? Has anyone else had any other encounters like this?

Blackhorse

mtbr member
    We know your pain. Dog walkers are on the increase in Lynn Woods. This is one of the City’s biggest problems in the woods but remains on the back burner in some regards. The Ranger is just one person who has tried to enforce the leash policy, but one person can only do so much.

We have had no problems with dogs (leashed or not) in the woods, at least on the North Side. Dog walkers stay just on the fire road and do not wander off this path to far. Yes you sometimes need to slow down and watch out for a dog off its leash, but that is fact of multi-use trails. Whether or not owners follow the rules to keep their dogs on a leash makes no difference. We as mountain bikers still need to be more aware of our surroundings on the trail then any other user group. Even if the dog is on a leash, you can still get bitten and or hit the dog with your bike if the owner is “spaced out”.

As far as your encounters with dogs, I would suggest to notify the park ranger via e-mail (LynnWoodsRanger@aol.com) and let him know where it happened. Just like any other user group (i.e. mountain bikers, dog walkers etc.) the problem is usually just a couple of people who do not care and mess things up for every one else.
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Lynn Woods Reservation is riddled with dog crap... I ride through a sloppy wet pile almost every time we go out there these days... supposed to go out for a ride in the am but I’m not even looking forward to it anymore. If a dog is not on a leash its shitting all over the trails and the owners are definitely not picking that up... most people would be ashamed to leave trash behind but dog owners are ruining the trails just the same to leave feces behind. This includes a great many bikers who take their dogs out with them on a ride.

MC MasterShake
    I ride there 2 or 3x a week and see dogs off their leashes all the time. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a dog on a leash so I didn't realize there was a leash law in LW. I've never had a problem though nor have I even seen any dog poop. I mostly ride the techy singletrack though and I've never seen dogs or hikers on those trails.

Black Lion
    About 10 Years ago I got bitten by a German Shepperd in Lynn Woods. Long story short, bad owner, dog off leash, battle dog with bike and loose, usual bad outcome.

Fast forward to now.....I have never seen so many people with Dogs all over the Res. I have zero problems with dogs in general, bad owners on the other hand, I have a huge problem with.
    The blatant disregard for their own surroundings let alone where their dog is astounding. So many times, many walkers are clueless to other users in the Res. So many times, many dog owners are completely irresponsible with their pets. I don't want to be chased by your off lease dog I as I roll by at .1 mph trying to do the right thing.

Two weeks ago I approached a couple at the intersection of The OverLook Trail and Ox Pasture Rd. I saw them from above and slowed way down as I should. I said hello, passed, moved clear, then got back on the gas to head back to the ball field. As I passed the "beach" on the right, a dog (mid sized) ran out of the water and began to chase. I could hear the couple calling, "Tiger, Tiger, Tiger." But Tiger was not listening, he was chasing me. I slowed a few seconds to try and not spark the chase, but the dog was running full on. The faster I went the faster he chased. I though about stopping so the couple could try and retrieve their dog. At this point the owners were not in the scene at all. I slowed and told the dog, "go back" but he was still running at me. At this point I am past the water, by the gravel cross-over path right before the pump house, the dog is 10 feet behind. I take the right and head up the fire road away from the ball field. No sign of the owners. Dog still chasing. Crazy.
    What if this was a big dog?
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe I’m just having a bad stretch of luck… I ride the technical trails too, they do seem safer going than the fire road. The past 5 times I hit a crap this month were all at the beginning/end of the ride. A dog is just more likely to drop a deuce shortly after getting out of the car; a 3-day-old log does not come off the tires any easier then a fresh steamer… I’ve never been chased or nipped but I sympathize. I often see both bikers and hikers bring dogs along, unleashed of course. No doubt its nice for owners to have the dog run around these trails for a couple hours but like any unleashed dog its behavior is not under the control of the owner, at the expense of everyone else who they share Lynn Woods with~

mtbr member
    I see a lot of complaints from Mass riders about dogs. I think i notice it more now because i just got a dog two months ago and i have full intention on it being a trail dog. It is a shame that i hear so many horror stories. It's weird because i've never had an issue with any dog on any trail. It leaves me at odds because my dog is good on the trail and if she wasn't she wouldn't be out there. If my dog were to have one even close to aggressive moment i wouldn't have her out there. I have no idea who these dog owners are that let a biting dog off leash. Seems crazy. I am glad i ride more in ME/NH where people aren't going to get pissed at me for having her off leash. I guess i should also be glad the dogs off leash in NH/ME seem to have more consciousness owners.

Anyways, hopefully you don't paint a picture of all riders that let their dogs off leash based on some bad seeds. And not all dogs off leash are out of control of the owner. I'm spending a good amount of time training my dog to run along with me in a way that doesn't disturb anyone else and in a way were the dog is fixated on me.

Class Clown
    You could easily have called this thread Fells & Dogs. No, it's not every dog/ dog owner, but enough. I've had plenty of encounters with dog crap on the trails. The thing about the wet stuff is it also sprays upwards all over the bike and you if you don't notice it right away. I've also had plenty of dogs chase me and even bite. And they swim in the drinking water.

Some owners are just clueless when it comes to how to handle their dogs, and have no right bringing them near other people. And I NEVER see dogs on leashes.

Class Clown
    idbrian, you must have one of those cool dogs that I see following a fellow biker around the trails

I like to ride my bike.
    Yogreg, same thing happened to me at a different park in MA. Being chased by a dog is a good workout, they run fast! Probably 8/10 dogs I encounter (mtb anywhere in MA) are off the leash and about half those off leash dogs try to eat me.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Clown
    Nov 2009
    i got nipped by a small dog in beverly (greenwood) last year. 3 women (lesbians actually) were walking 4 dogs, all off leash. never had a problem with dogs in lynn. all dogs encountered over the years were all off leash yet all were controlled by the owner

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    Yogreg, same thing happened to me at a different park in MA. Being chased by a dog is a good workout, they run fast!
    No doubt
    Voltron

mtbr member
    I don't frequent too many area threads; mainly New England threads, and southern NY / North NJ. Oddly enough i don't personally know a single person that has ever been bitten by a dog. Yet people from the Boston area apparently get bitten constantly. There has to be some greater reason behind this. Either the Boston area has an epidemic of bad dog owners, or you guys are biking with bacon hanging out of your socks.

It's just amusing how i've never ever had a dog of leash come at me in aggressive fashion yet others seem to not be able to go bike without an attack.

Maybe it is like bee stings or something. I've been stung once in my life, however my cousin who is extremely allergic is constantly getting attacked by swarms of bees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    idbrian, you must have one of those cool dogs that I see following a fellow biker around the trails
    She is doing well so far. She stays close but is afraid of bikes in motion, even mine. But not in a fear biting sort of fear. Just in a stay 5 feet away type of fear. Which actually ends up being not so bad as she is never in my way nor others. Soon as i stop moving she stays right close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    I see a lot of complaints from Mass riders about dogs.
    Its likely not a Massachusetts issue rather a Boston issue. In urban areas all things get more use = more dogs crapping where more people ride. Lynn might have 200 people using the trails on a single day, same with the Fells. It’s not clear what the regulations are for dogs in Ma. each district is permitted to write its own laws regarding dogs and the only state law i see is that dogs must be leashed at highway rest stops.
    http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmast140_174B.htm

As a volunteer trail watch member for the mass department of conservation and recreation. My understating was that a park ranger is able to write a ticket for owners who do not have dogs leashed in state parks. Though I’ve never seen that happen...

there are 4.5 million people in the Boston metropolitan area. I dont know how many mnt bikers but certainly thousands; don't know how many dogs but again... thousands.
    A thousand dogs crapping in a park with a thousand hikers and bikers. if you don't think that's disgusting then i have 200 dogs who want to **** in your high school football field a couple times a week. No good? How about just 1 dog shitting in your yard a couple times a week?

mtbr member
    Yeah, i definitely meant the Boston area of Mass. As far as being a congested area the parks around NYC don't have this problem, at least the ones you can ride in. I've never heard a complaint about poo or loose attacking dogs around NYC. I'm mainly just surprised by the frequency of dog attacks that people claim on these boards. I can see stupid dog owners letting their their dogs poo anywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am always overly respectful and thoughtful at first (I slow down, smile, etc) but if an off leash dog gets in my face or the owners are not apologetic, I go loco. I charge the people while barking and ask them how they like it. I chase the dog. I yell all kinds of crap at the people to make them feel like sorry sacks and bad dog owners and then I ride away. I try to leave them shaken and scared and thinking about the wrongs they have committed. I am a 6'4" fire breathing lunatic if threatened and that's exactly how I feel when I get charged by an off leash dog. If everyone respects each other, we'll all be OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Basically, if your dog is a ******, leave it at home.
    If you're a ******, stay home.
    If you are a ******, you probably don't realize it. Most ******'s don't.
    So if you're wondering right now if you are a ******, you probably are.
    No one wants to kick your dog in the face because you're too inconsiderate to control it, and no one wants to ride through your dogs lunch and have it splatter all over their legs.
    Pick it up or kick it into the woods. I ride with several guys with dogs and it's never a problem. The dogs are cool and their owners do as they should.
    And if you absolutely have to bring your dog into Lynn Woods so it can crap in the middle of the trail or bite people, stay below the res. I don't ride that side.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    Basically, if your dog is a ******, leave it at home.
    If you're a ******, stay home.
    If you are a ******, you probably don't realize it. Most ******'s don't.
    So if you're wondering right now if you are a ******, you probably are.
    No one wants to kick your dog in the face because you're too inconsiderate to control it, and no one wants to ride through your dogs lunch and have it splatter all over their legs.
    Pick it up or kick it into the woods. I ride with several guys with dogs and it's never a problem. The dogs are cool and their owners do as they should.
    And if you absolutely have to bring your dog into Lynn Woods so it can crap in the middle of the trail or bite people, stay below the res. I don't ride that side.
    You are too funny Mike!

I still blame you for making me fall down the D-Wave! Your comment about my "Justin Timberlake clubbing shirt" made me laugh so hard I slipped and went over the edge!

Hope all is well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rustedhammer
    I am always overly respectful and thoughtful at first (I slow down, smile, etc) but if an off leash dog gets in my face or the owners are not apologetic, I go loco. I charge the people while barking and ask them how they like it. I chase the dog. I yell all kinds of crap at the people to make them feel like sorry sacks and bad dog owners and then I ride away. I try to leave them shaken and scared and thinking about the wrongs they have committed. I am a 6'4" fire breathing lunatic if threatened and that's exactly how I feel when I get charged by an off leash dog. If everyone respects each other, we'll all be OK.
    ---------------------------------------
    You are clearly a very reasonable and respectful person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtalum2001
    You are clearly a very reasonable and respectful person.
    Look honey, it's a mountain biker. I'm going to tell ten of my friends about how mountain bikers act like out on the trails. Maybe i should tell my dad too, the local congressman.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    I don't like dogs with no scruples.

My dogs know where the toilet is.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpriv
    Maybe I’m just having a bad stretch of luck… I ride the technical trails too, they do seem safer going than the fire road. The past 5 times I hit a crap this month were all at the beginning/end of the ride. A dog is just more likely to drop a deuce shortly after getting out of the car; a 3-day-old log does not come off the tires any easier then a fresh steamer…
    I feel your pain. But thanks for clearing the land mines before the rest of us roll on by.

Same happened to me last week with the hits. I was clued in when there was a noxious odor that compelled me to identify its source. I still have to scrub my bike frame with soap.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's always telling when the owner seems freaked out. Like "oh hi, I never expected to see anyone out here and my dog is 20 yards away and doesn't respect me". Then they act mad at you for biking on a bike trail. The dogs have always been fine to me, I slow down and they might jump up for a sniff, but are usually just curious. Wouldn't want to get bit yipes. For some reason I could see it in Lynn.

Dog crap is a royal pita.