Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lynn Woods carnage... Pray and wish a fellow rider a good recovery.

No pictures, but the images still play in my mind!

My friend drove up from NYC to enjoy a weekend ride in LW. The four of us, geared up and set out on the jaunt. We marvelled at the perfect riding conditions and enjoyed the renuinon of friends. But one hour into our ride, being the front biker, I quickly turned around in response to gruesome sounding shouts from my friend. I knew immediately he suffered a bad injury.

He was on the ground; his lower leg was bent and flopping around like a broken candy cane still in it's bag. Horrific! Basically his leg snapped like a chicken bone. His bike lay to his side with the front wheel twisted. And he was writhing, twisting, clenched in pain with uncontrollable shouts. I ran and checked him for more injury and then grabbed his hand tightly to comfort him.

We called 911, and paramedics and LFD arrived 30 mins later. They tried to call the Coast Guard for an airlift basket to get him out of woods but ended up with 8 men carrying him out in a hammock-like stretcher. Terrible. He was screaming. It sounded like a war zone.

I was saddened. I think he's going to have a long road to recovery. Please wish him well or say a prayer. Thanks.

After he was tucked away in the hospital ER and after most of the dust settled, my friend and I discussed if leg armor would have saved him. He had just bought 661 knee pads for the ride, and that's all he wore. We tried to figure out the mechanism of how it happened.
    Last edited by Aust95; 11-09-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

vaa
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Damn. I wish him a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    What trail were you on? CF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he has a speedy and complication free recovery. With some luck and hard rehab work perhaps he can be with you on the trails again.

I doubt leg armor would have made any difference. You said his leg was "flopping aroung like a broken candy cane still in its bag" which seems to indicate he broke both bones (Tibia & Fibula). More often than not, that means he had his lower leg planted or trapped while his upper body continued to move. I would not be surprised to hear that it is a spiral fracture necessitating the insertion of one or more rods for stabilization.This is just not the type of injury leg armor is designed to prevent.

I will pray for your injured friend as well as you and the other rider. That is a simply horrible experience to have been involved in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What trail were you on? CF.
    This was my friend's third time in LW and he mentioned to me that he'd been riding a lot more recently so I felt it was likely he had gained more skills. Some history: the first two times we went --months ago--he had some falls including an endo where he landed on his hip and got a hip bruise that was the size of a compact disc. So this time, I decided to take an easier trail (if you can call any northside LW trail "easy"). We headed into the woods from the rock near RT 1 power lines right where people enter when parked at the former Naked Fish. You know that rock with the large stone and rotting wood pallets on it? If you go right, it's the rock garden that runs south along rt 1, and if you go left it's winding singletrack that leads to a 1 foot table stone that's a few feet in length and then to a 1 foot stepup before a short but narrow climb that is flanked on its left by a rock roller. Once you get up the short climb, it levels out on a large flat boulder. Directly across, there's an entrance to more single track. It was there, about 100 yards in, where a few stone obstacles exist, where he crashed when rolling a 1 to 2 foot high rock. Currently there's a knocked-over, cracked pine tree where he fell. I don't know the name of the trail, but it wasn't anything major tech, and he said it wasn't anything he hadn't conquered before.
    Last edited by Aust95; 11-12-2009 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007
    I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he has a speedy and complication free recovery. With some luck and hard rehab work perhaps he can be with you on the trails again.

I doubt leg armor would have made any difference. You said his leg was "flopping aroung like a broken candy cane still in its bag" which seems to indicate he broke both bones (Tibia & Fibula). More often than not, that means he had his lower leg planted or trapped while his upper body continued to move. I would not be surprised to hear that it is a spiral fracture necessitating the insertion of one or more rods for stabilization.This is just not the type of injury leg armor is designed to prevent.

I will pray for your injured friend as well as you and the other rider. That is a simply horrible experience to have been involved in.
    I think you may be right about having armor not helping. Yes, I looked at the xray and he surely did have a distal transverse TibFib fracture. It looked like there where some fragments as well (comminuted fracture?). I did move the upper part of the leg when we were in the woods and the lower part just flopped freely. BUT it was good that he didn't have a compound fx. I agree with you as well on the mechanism of injury as the most likely. I don't think he hit it. It was more of leg/foot plant on the ground, trapped while all his weight moved down on it. I originally thought that maybe his pedal pressed on his leg and then acted as a fulcrum of force to break the bone, but there wasn't much skin damage. He said that he heard the bones crack as he went down.

I feel pretty awful about all this and couldn't stop thinking about it last night. It was supposed to be a day of fun and then lunch and campfire afterwards.

I'm going to the hospital again today. He's had a few imaging tests including a CT scan.

mtbr member
    Our group has a similar tale last season but we got him out a bit faster than what you describe.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Man that sucks for your buddy. I hate hearing about cyclist injuries, mountain or road. Send him our best and hopefully they get him put back together and he's back at it again next year .
    The other Fred........

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Get him some MTB DVDs to pass the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I went out for a ride today and felt a little "spooked" after yesterday's incident. It showed me the reality of what could happen to a biker.

I went to the hospital today. By the way, the ER triage told me they've seen 3 bikers brought over from LW in the past two months.

Thanks everyone for kind words!
    For encouragement, I'm going to direct him to this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Healing vibes to your friend. Sounds like your taking this hard, tough to do, but stop beating yourself up over it. Accidents happen and since it was on some mild features it's no ones fault. If he had been on a tough stunt, beyond his skills then some guilt may be appropiate. Hopefully he can come back and ride again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks all. I'm the guy you've been reading about. Going home today, hopefully swelling will go down in time for surgery tentatively scheduled for Friday.

Hard to write much right now so I'll update ppl later. I will say it hurt like no other hurt before! :-(

mtbr member
    Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Its been a crazy November in Lynn. The first Saturday of the month a rider broke his arm pretty bad was sent over to Lynn Union Hospital, that Sunday another rider busted their ankle and yesterday we have a fellow ride hit there head requiring a CAT scan. Everything came back fine with them.

Must be the leaves??? Front wheels wash out so fast, you don't even realize what happen until your on the ground.

Again...speedy recovery!
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

MC MasterShake
    That sucks for your buddy. I'll keep him in my prayers.

LW takes no prisoners. Be careful out there everyone...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just found out I'm stuck at union hospital for another 5 days. Pretty bummed out.

LW is completely diff riding for me. I usually goto Blue Mtn in Westchester County, NY, which is much more flowy type XC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    Healing vibes to your friend. Sounds like your taking this hard, tough to do, but stop beating yourself up over it. Accidents happen and since it was on some mild features it's no ones fault.
    Yeah, when it first happened, other than my concern for him, it was mentally kicking myself. I felt I, as the lead rider in the group, had brought this on him ,and especially because I took him to LW again after seeing his previous falls. Others have echoed what you say though, so I'm feeling better about it now.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    heal well man. sounds like the gods of lynn are hungry for blood. caution

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbikes
    Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Its been a crazy November in Lynn. The first Saturday of the month a rider broke his arm pretty bad was sent over to Lynn Union Hospital, that Sunday another rider busted their ankle and yesterday we have a fellow ride hit there head requiring a CAT scan. Everything came back fine with them.

Must be the leaves??? Front wheels wash out so fast, you don't even realize what happen until your on the ground.

Again...speedy recovery!
    I second the leaves. I almost lost it several times last Sunday on sections that usually aren't that difficult.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

thread killer
    Good luck with the recovery.
    That sucks to happen but at least it happened at the end of the season.
    I hope you're not a skier.
    Hopefully the time will pass quickly.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Haha well. I'm an avid snowboarder. I can kiss that goodbye this winter. :-)

still waiting to find out when I can get operation. The waiting -- and the pain -- is still killing me.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Wow.... that sucks definetly wishing your friend a speedy recovery.

When I hear about these catastrophic injuries, I like to get as many details to aid in my perevention, so: What sort of shape is your friend in? What sort of feature were you riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm a very fit guy but dont have the archetypal mtb build. I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs so definitely bulkier with lots of mass. I do alot of aggressive XC but nothing on the same scale as LW.

Aust95 will be returning to the scene sometime soon to review the crash site. From what I remember I was going over a smallish boulder but then immediately hit another one. O popped up in air, lost control of bike, right leg was pinned under my bike and everything came down on top of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Our group has a similar tale last season but we got him out a bit faster than what you describe.
    What happened? Where?

Truckboy
    Sounds like just bad luck. How many times has something similar happened to all of us, minus the broken bones of course. Sorry to read about it. I hope you have better experiences riding in MA in the future. I was just in LW last week for only the 2nd time this season and simply did not do a lot of stuff I've done before. Just steep rolls, etc, but my buddy was feeling the same fear as well. I guess it's the kind of place you need to be familiar with in order to not be hesitant. Anyway I'm rambling. Ger better soon and get back on the bike ASAP.

mtbr member
    Get better soon jsyteng!

30 minutes for LFD to arrive seems a bit excessive. I don't know LW, but is the area you were riding in that remote? Did they have trouble finding you? Did they have 4 wheelers or anything? Just curious.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast