Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just happened along this thread. I had an almost identical experience... and seeing your mention of westchester county trails I read up on your story. It sounds like you're in a good place right now and I'm happy to hear of the positive outlook and environment you are in now.

In late 2008 (sept.) I also had a spiral fracture. At Graham Hills - not known to be super-technical but I was jumping (ghetto jumps) and took off wrong, landed wronger. Foot stuck in pedal and weight of body/bike folding on top. Was immediately aware I busted myself and very pissed I just ended my season. Long story short, 10 days before surgery, 5 months before riding in the woods again. Likely very similar internal hardware, rehab, and lots of mental massaging before riding at the same level I was at before. Regaining the confidence has been the trickiest. Knowing the skills are there and it's a game of mind over matter, (so to speak) I think may just be a constant in my life since that point in 2008.

That said, I do feel very confident again on the bike... but I was single then, so aside from a severely inconvenienced roommate the only battles I faced with riding again were my own. I am married now with a toddler so you can bet it's always in the back of my mind every time I am faced with a challenging portion of trail, or trail feature. Sometimes I skip, sometimes I ride it. I definitely consider the physical recovery the easier part, while the mental aspect was/is the hardest to conquer.

pedal pedal pedal.
    BA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for sharing! You are I are kindred spirits, then. I used to like Graham Hills alot, not quite on par with Blue Mtn but still decent in a pinch.

I hear you about the mental part. Right now I'm still quite tentative on descents, bec. I'm deathly afraid of a nasty endo. Breaking my neck would seriously impair my ability to be a decent father to my 2 young kids! Parenthood definitely changes your appetite for risk.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5