Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    the test dummy
    that sucks man, one of my riding buddies is out until this time next year. he went to get his legs checked out because they had been hurting. to make a long story short he had so may stress fractures in his legs the doctors stopped counting. they then told him if he rides they will get way worse and he wont ever be able to ride again.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, clearly I have alot to process during this time off. I won't give up mtn biking although admittedly the thought did cross my mind. Not bec. I love it any less, only bec. I'd sacrifice it for the family. But then again they probably wouldn't want me to completely give up something I'm passionate about. I guess the compromise is that I don't need to do anything risky if I don't have to. I won't want to conquer that drop or rock next time I go riding. Still gonna goto Blue and do the regular stuff I do there (I'm comfortable there since I'm so familiar with the terrain now).

Slowly regaining strength. Lower legs, esp. right leg, very atrophied. Funny comparing thighs side by side and seeing the difference. Don't even want to compare calves, haha! Paul came down this weekend and made me some great traditional Chinese bone healing herbal soup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    wow...what a thread. Just got finished reading. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is visible at this point. Ordeals like this test you. Best wishes on your continued road back to health.

I'm 40, just married, so it's interesting to read this given your station in life (though we don't have any kids yet). I just ditched my Specialized XC Comp for a Spesh Enduro Comp (all mountain 6 inch travel), as i've been doing more gnarly downhill at Killington and even Highland in NH - and something like your story gives you pause as to whether, at my age, i should be getting *more* aggresive with my biking, and not *less*...hmmm...(though i will say, i didn't get my all mountain set-up to do big drops - i just like to bomb down descents comfortably and with a stable rig)

Let us know how rehab goes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Once u have kids u may think differently about bombing down gnarly terrain, hehe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hope you're buddies doing well my friend broke his tib and fib in sept he just got of the crutches a week ago.. atleast he did this a the end of the season depending on the recovery/age he might be back for the spring. its injuries like these that linger in the back of my mind. hope he does well

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    still getting better. Much more mobile now, can get around on crutches alot better than before. Two more months of non weight bearing crutches. Still sorta seems far off but at least there is light at the end of tunnel.

Miss biking alot. Right now, worried about getting full range of motion back. My achilles feels very very right and short, and I can barely point my toes towards my face. Gonna need alot of physical therapy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I mean achilles feels very TIGHT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Full weight bearing now for a month. Walk with slight limp, gets worse at end of day. Can't run at all. Biked several times on my fixie. No mtb yet. Sorta scared still. Happy to be walking again though. The last few months were truly a dark period in my life.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsyteng
    Full weight bearing now for a month. Walk with slight limp, gets worse at end of day. Can't run at all. Biked several times on my fixie. No mtb yet. Sorta scared still. Happy to be walking again though. The last few months were truly a dark period in my life.
    glade to hear your back up
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Great news, keep it up.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good to hear you're beyond the gloom. I bet it got pretty bad, it did for me. You'll get over the anxiety of doing it again (injury) once you start riding again. As for the limp, just swing your hand behind your ass like George Jefferson and people will think you're connected. To who, I don't know, but neither will they.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not to give you flashbacks or anything, but was this the offending rock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynn Woods carnage... Pray and wish a fellow rider a good recovery.-photo-1.jpg  

Truckboy
    Jsyteng,
    I just reacquainted myself with this thread. I am glad you're back in the saddle. I wish you courage and patience with yourself. This whole ordeal must have been very traumatic in ways I can only imagine. Thank you for updating.

Kubaner - that pic is just... just... horrific. The one of your leg, not the LW rock

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Haha, that is not the rock. . it's actually this one. . . wasn't even that bad, which makes it all the more ironic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FYI, here is a recent x-ray:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Jsyteng, so glad you're seeing the end of a painful 4 month struggle. By keeping up your determination, you'll get back a lot of your strength.

kubaner, that rock lies shortly before the rock picture posted by jsyteng. It's the same trail, so close.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Jsyteng, nasty pick of a nasty injury. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I had a crash with a broken shoulder last year (truly nothing compared to your ordeal), which definitely shook me up. I've had some of my best rides since then, but as a 38 yr-old father and seeing the toll it took on my family, I definitely find myself wondering whether I'm being selfish doing this sport which I have loved for many years. That said, I love it and still get excited every time I walk into a bike shop or am around bikes, so I don't think I can stop.

Not that this is the forum for it, but I'm also considering some basic body armor - does anyone know of any that is good for XC riding (or of a forum for same)?

Good luck with your further recovery and to getting out on the trails soon. Thank you for sharing your story - what a thread that we can all relate to!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsyteng View Post
    Came across this thread....just read the whole thing. I ride LW with Kubaner a lot. How are things going now jsyteng? That was quite an ordeal. Still riding? Running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Alot has happened since . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Came across this thread....just read the whole thing. I ride LW with Kubaner a lot. How are things going now jsyteng? That was quite an ordeal. Still riding? Running?
    Aust95 made me aware there was an update to this thread.

I'm doing well, thanks for asking. It's been a long time.

The quick update on my end is that I've now moved up to Boston and have been living in Newton for the last several months. I came up here for a great job opportunity and decided to leave NYC. Wasn't the easiest decision but knew deep in my heart it was best for my family (I now have 2 kids).

I've only ridden mtb once since the accident. It was in at Graham Hills Park in Westchester County, NY. . . probably back in 2011 (2 yrs after the accident). It was tough to psychologically get myself back on the bike. I did, however, continue to ride my fixie frequently in NYC -- as soon as I was able -- and still do to this day up in Boston.

I guess you say I'm at about 80 - 85% back to normal. It can still be painful when I run. I don't have problems walking, sprinting for short distances, or snowboarding (thank the LORD). Sometimes the pain creeps back in. All my hardware is still in my leg. Too risky to operate given the severity of the incisions (ortho strongly recommended against removing hardware, since there is so little tissue down in the ankle area).

I'm grateful in some ways to the experience, strange as it sounds. It matured me greatly. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say suffering does make a man stronger. It was by far one of the lowest points in my life (some may recall the injury happened during a long bout of unemployment).

I spent thousands of $ out of my own pocket once COBRA expired and my physical therapy sessions ran out. I hired a personal trainer who specialized in injury rehab. The best decision I ever made. If I hadn't done it, I'd probably still be walking today with a limp. The sessions were super painful but I managed to tough it out. Grew some chest hairs for sure.

In a couple of months we move to Concord, which I'm very much looking forward to. I do look fwd to hopping back on the mtb bike at some point, but it'll all be XC and easygoing, flowy terrain from here on out. No more Lynn Woods for me! Will check out Great Brook Farm and Estabrook Woods instead.

thanks for reading, everybody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also Russell mill is close by.

mtbr member
    zomg concord is awesome..lived in Acton 6 years, know all the secrets

a) estabrook woods, find all the trails in there. the northern ones
    spit you close to both carlise town hall trails or davis corridor/ice cream trail/great brook trails with light road hops

there are also some legal and top secret (local stash) you can get to acton from estabrook easily, and ride some huge meadows no one knows about

b) concord rail trail straight to minuteman trail bedford,lexington,arlington,cambridge to davis square somerville 20 miles one way

mtbr member
    Well, great to hear you are back to activity and have a positive outlook! Russell Mill in Chelmsford may surprise you quite a bit. NEMBA got in there and built amazing flow trails that are not difficult, but extremely fun. This place may actually be the ticket for your new MTB LIFE. Are you originally from Chelmsford?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    zomg concord is awesome..lived in Acton 6 years, know all the secrets
    What are the carlisle town hall trails? Thanks.

Class Clown
    Good to here if you want to get back into things come on over to the friendly fells it is a lot tamer, or just ride up and down the Charles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Good to here if you want to get back into things come on over to the friendly fells it is a lot tamer, or just ride up and down the Charles.
    Been living in Concord for 2 months now. Only last week decided to pick up the mtb bike again and start exploring. Double and single track right BEHIND MY HOUSE (Thoreau Hills). Also explored connecting trails around Thoreau Club into Maynard. Yesterday went to Great Meadows and took a side singletrack around some wetlands to the cemetery. Seems like there is much much more to see in the area. VERY excited!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast