Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good luck,man. Hope you get back on the trails asap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Once I fully recover I should reward myself with a Turner Spot hehe!

Bike Addiction
    We're all thinking about you here in forums. Lets not get carried away with the Turner Spot in front of your wife, she might overreact and lay down the law on ya man!! Women can't live with em can't live without em? Stay warm up there in NY, it's about 55 or 60 here in Alabama. Raining though. No riding today. Get well and see ya on the trail soon.

mtbr member
    Blue Mountain is about as close to LW as you can get around NYC. Definitely some crazy stuff in there too. Both crazy awesome places to ride.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Blue is amazing. Been going there tons since I picked up mtb several yrs ago.

I'm in the surgery prep room now at NYU hospital. Going under in 15 min!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here's a little Tib/Fib surgery for you. With a dose of compartment syndrome thrown in for good measure.
    /Volumes/QSS_CD/DCIM/100NORIT/55440001.JPG

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Let me try that again

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Kubaner, your picture didn't show. You had compartment syndrome?! Where were you treated? You can lose your leg if that happens.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here's a little Tib/Fib surgery for you. With a dose of compartment syndrome thrown in for good measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynn Woods carnage... Pray and wish a fellow rider a good recovery.-55440001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like you had a proximal or midshaft tibfib fracture. Very pretty. How'd it happen?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Man vs. tree.
    Snowboarding off trail at Wildcat.
    The tree won.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    jsyteng's fracture is a pretty bad comminuted fracture. We're wondering how long his rehab will be and how long until he's riding again. He went in for surgery today. I figured if it's a few months, maybe he'll be able to ride in April.

kubaner, how long was recovery? It looks like they stitched up your knee in that picture.

By the way, I broke my ankle 7 weeks ago in LW. It was only a hairline fracture so I was able to get back on the bike relatively soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My break was about the same. A few pieces floating around inside. I had an intramedullary rod put in the night of the break but ended up with compartment syndrome. I think the doctor and nursing staff got tired of hearing me complain about the pain so they stuck me in the ICU in Conway. It took my wife pulling a Tazmanian Devil on them to get them to ship me to Maine Med where they took me seriously and tested me for something no one in Conway thought of. I spent the next month in the hospital and had 8 surgeries. Another one 6 months later to transfer tendons from the outside of my foot to the top so I would no longer have foot drop and one more a couple of years ago to re-pin my toes straight and lengthen my achilles tendon. My understanding was, that had everything gone as it should have, I would have been able to bear weight in 6-8 weeks and ski/bike in 12 or so. Didn't happen. I was on crutches for 4 months and not much better for the next 3 til my next surgery. Basically ate up a year of my life. Luckily it doesn't hamper my biking except not being able to clip out of my left pedal at all. So jsyteng should be looking good in a few months. If they did a rod. Those staples on my knee were from where the rod was inserted. If he has a cast he'll be out for like 6 months. Good luck to him. Make sure you keep him occupied so he doesn't get too bored, lonely and depressed. There's nothing cool about a perc'd out thirty year old crying on his english muffin.

mtbr member
    I just about lost it looking at that pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Kubaner, that's quite the experience. Sounds like hell for a year! I'm glad you're back on the bike.

My buddy jsyteng is 2 days after surgery at NYU medical center. From what I'm told, they put some hardware into the leg to fix it and was planning on discharging him yesterday. His pain, however, has been excruciating so anethesia had to get involved and now he's on IV fentanyl because morphine and the other meds didn't work. They basically had to put him partway under to control his pain. His wife says he sometimes half wakes up and asks for me. Well, I'm in Boston and he's in NYC...he's really out of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Happy turkey day folks!

I am in day 4 at NYU hospital. Surgery went well, but pain was not contained until this morning. It was impossible for to type otherwise I wouldve updated thread sooner

basically during the two weeks after the surgery, and before the surgery I had built up an incredie tolerance to painkillers. After surgery it seemed like nothing worked. Even the anathesia team was stumped. At its worst I was being iv'd a constant stream of Dilaudid.

The fracture blisters have subsided, which I'm thankful for. The most painful part is when I change my dressing; the gauze still sticks to my skin and hurts like he'll. But least ive beem operated on and road to recovery.

Might be discharged tommorow : -)

MBN
    mtbr member
    Good News J!

PS I was riding LW the day of your accident. They had just put you in the ambulance when I rode up. I met Austin, and we talked for a bit. His face told the story.

Get well soon,

M.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am now home. Accepting the fact that I am completely bedridden for awhile has been a real challenge.

The meds are wreaking havoc with my body. Hot flashes to cold chills one minute to the next. Two long incisions along lower shin. Post op swelling is terribly painful. Cast feels like a ton, and in the few moments that I get around, I am immediately winded and wiped out.

I'll post some more thoughts about the future of mtb, and how it will fit in my life, sometime soon. Right now I know that as a 39yr old father, I won't be taking the same risks again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just checking in jsyteng. Hopefully you're feeling a little better. The one thing I remember about the homecoming and effects from the meds was walking ten feet only to stop for a couple minutes and then another ten and then another ten until I got to the bathroom and had to force a cement bud can out of my ass. That and that there is not much on at 3:30 in the morning. I basically had the same med-ley that you did and can concur that they screw you up bad. Watch what you eat too. I went into the hospital at 213lbs and came out at 178lbs 30 days later. When you stop moving and supporting your weight your legs shrivel up like old green beans. So while a little weight loss isn't that bad, you don't want to be swapping muscle for fat by eating ice cream for breakfast. Stick to the hospital type food, plain chicken and veggies, and you'll snap back a lot quicker.
    And be sure to leave the staples in as long or longer than they say. The swelling takes forever to go down and my leg basically ripped open after they pulled the staples. Should have stayed in another two weeks if you ask me. I'm sure your as bored as bored gets so maybe my 2 cents will at least occupy you for a couple minutes. Good luck again with the recovery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hey kubaner, thanks for checking in. I am getting better. The first week when I got home was the worst, could feel the depression setting in immediately. Being bedridden and required to elevate leg above heart was a real drag. Most of the time I had to lay my back flat against the bed and just stare at the frickin' ceiling. Thankfully I have an iphone, which helped while away the time. Being laid up in this way is a major setback to my job search, too.

I weaned off the meds pretty quickly. I couldn't take the side effects anymore, esp. the constipation (cement bud can, LOL). My mood swings were outta control and I was breaking down alot. Insomnia is still here, though. I had my follow up appt with the ortho 2 days ago and had my sutures removed, and am no longer required to elevate my leg all the time since the swelling has gone down. I am down 20 lbs, to 180 lbs. I actually sorta like being leaner and am gonna try and stay around this weight. I have completely cut cafffiene, alcohol, and smoking out of my life. I definitely hope to keep the latter out forever.

I have been taking this vitamin called Arth-X which is supposed to help bones heal better. Drinking lotsa fancy antioxidant shakes that my wife is learning to make from the local health food store.

I have been playing lots of online Street Fighter on Xbox 360. I do miss biking alot, both mtb and my fixie.

Slowly regaining strength and getting around on crutches better. My legs have definitely shriveled though, as you say.

here is the most recent xray: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=758526659

I know this is early but I am really worried how I am gonna feel once I hop back on my mtn bike again. I am psychologically affected by my accident and am probably gonna be scared at first, even on an easy fire road. Well, it's several months away, at least. I'm pretty bummed that this is gonna be the 2nd year in a row I'll be missing snowboarding (last winter was when the baby was born).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FYI, found out the fractures were much worse than originally thought. Fibula was fractured into many pieces (too many to count, according to ortho). Spiral fractured extended down into ankle and displaced a bone there as well. Just a nightmare overall. But nothing will ever compare to your compartment syndrome!

Bike Addiction
    One of my Buddies triped over a flower pot in front of a store and did a spiral fracture into the shoulder socket. OOOOuch!!!!! These weird things can happen. Hang in there Dude it'll get better. Nothing more depressing than being down for a while. Wish I had some words of wisdom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good to hear you're staying on top of things. It'll make it that much easier once you start moving around a little more to get back to your old self. As far as being nervous about riding again, I'm sure you'll be fine. You're probably at the lowest point as far as confidence right now. Once you start riding again you'll snap out of it. You might wear more pads and think twice about this or that, but if you live for riding like most of us, it'll be hard to get away from it. Five years ago, our whole group was dropping stuff and downhilling all the time, now we've all kind of gone back to climbing and technical stuff. Granted, it is in Lynn woods, so there is still the chance someone will get hurt cause even the single track is littered with three and four foot drops but once your confidence is back you'll be fine. Nice xray too, I may have you beat for gore but you definitely have more hardware than me. I'm sure I'll bump in to Aust95 in the woods. We'll be sure to go for a ride next time you come up to Lynn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, low confidence bec. I crashed on something I usually can do with my eyes closed. Aust95 has the picture of the rock on which I took the spill. Wasn't even that violent a crash in hindsight. It just all came down on the leg.

I have been riding for about 5 yrs. I consider myself a weekend warrior, and go only once or twice a month at most. It isn't that easy bec. I live right in the heart of Manhattan and it's a pain to drive outside the city to go ride. But I do it enough and have gotten decent at it. Aust95 is lucky in that LW is right in his backyard. I am definitely gonna dial it back a few notches now. Not gonna do risky stuff. Putting my family thru this has been torturous to them. Wife now taking care of both the toddler and me. She isn't very happy about it (!)

LW is not for me. My bike (2005 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70) isn't optimal for that terrain. In the end, it's about the rider, not the bike, but I still feel that a slacker frame would be better suited for LW. My Slayer was considered AM back when it was released but it's totally XC now when u compare it to the AM bikes that are being marketed today.

I unfortunately cannot ride again when I go up to Boston. My Mom (who lives in Chelmsford) and my wife would kill me. I wouldn't mind going to Great Brook Farm in Carlisle or maybe even Harold Parker in Methuen, but LW. . . no way. That places just terrifies me now. Can't get any flow there anyways bec. the drops always require me to get off my bike. A 70 degree head tube angle will do that ya (!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hey, it's been a long 5 wks for you and no one else knows all the pain you went through other than yourself. We've seen what it did to your family and I agree with kubaner that it's still a low time for you. But...

I have to tell you that you started biking 2 to 3 days a week this fall and went out to Blue Mtn and you got a lot more experienced. Everyone has to start somewhere. We already had 2 good rides in LW even though you were shellshocked after the last one. The roller that you did that brought all of this wasn't a big deal like you said (and you already decided that when we dropped the seat low, that was what set you up), so...this could have happened anywhere...what if you were alone at Blue? You'd have to combat crawl yourself out for a mile!

Keep your morale up.
    Last edited by Aust95; 03-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast