Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    Get better soon jsyteng!

30 minutes for LFD to arrive seems a bit excessive. I don't know LW, but is the area you were riding in that remote? Did they have trouble finding you? Did they have 4 wheelers or anything? Just curious.
    consider the terrain of Lynn Woods, 30 minutes is a pretty good response time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We were 1/2 mile into the woods with winding single track and rock terrain between us and route 1 highway. Since there were three of us with him, one rider biked out to the street to meet the paramedics to lead them in. I stabilized his leg and added compression to limit the bleeding. The other guy gave moral support. The task of carrying him out was most difficult. It required eight men lifting the stretcher to navigate up and over rocks and between tight spaces among the trees.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Class Clown
    good luck with your recovery. the leaves can make even well known trails sketchy.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    agreed. 30m is not bad. they could get to the trailhead in under 5m yet all the time is spent getting to the scene. most lynn trails are not accessible by atv. being extracted the long way via 8 men carrying a stretcher is the norm unless you can get to the main fire road near the ballfield. sometimes the ambulance can get down the fire road a ways. this evac reminds me of about 8-10 years ago. i was out there when jeffery kirby broke his neck. we had to carry him out by stretcher with 8 guys and it was hard as hell. then one of the pins at the end of the stretcher snapped and we had to use duck tape and medical tape to keep it together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for all the well wishes, folks.

so after having a very vivid dream about it again last nite, I've figured out why I crashed.

I lowered my seat twice at the beginning of the ride, making the bike more slack. This was done bec. I did an endo over a steep rock at the very beginning (a bad omen). My bike was definitely set up as more XC prior to that point.

At the moment of the crash, I was doing a slight descent over a couple of mid sized boulders. As is the usual case while descending, I backed off the saddle, but this time I could not feel the saddle touching my gut. I could feel the bike starting to wobble underneath me, and that's when I collapsed down on my right side with my leg still clipped in and curled underneath me. It wasn't a violent crash at all, but it all came down on my shin.

The lowered seat was too dramatic of a change for me. Like I said, usually I can still feel the saddle touching my gut while descending, which helps to control the bike for me. Without that point of contact, any sort of left/right slant on the rock tilted my bike to the side, and voila! There you have it.

Aust95 and I feel much better after figuring this out, bec. after this accident my confidence was shaken. I knew I was a better biker than this. Live and learn, as they say.

Operation at 3pm tomo afternoon. I'm sure everything will be fine. It's the waiting around this past week that has been most traumatic. I'll update the thread afterwards.

vaa
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good Luck with the operation.

It's good that you've figured out what went wrong. The first thing to do is get right back in the saddle, after PT and you are recovered completely.

mtbr member

Good Luck

I broke the tib/fib in both legs back in 96. I'm out riding all the time. I can ride the trails better than walk them to be honest. I broke my legs skiing at Waterville Valley. Skiing and ran over a white trash bag and slid into a sign and looked down at my legs and the bottom of my feet were looking at me. Could not believe it! Going down the mountain in the first aid sled and I kept saying to myself, I can't believe this has happened, and I was a very good skier. Three operations later I'm doing fine, can't run since I lost full range of motion in my ankles but I ride as much as possible. Get into a good rehab place, I did and it made all the difference in the world.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    anyone know if the park commission has done a new survey and created a new map? when was it last updated? diesel?

Clown
    Nov 2009
    jsy, now that you have replayed the crash in your mind, i'll ask the question again posed earlier, do you think shin pads may have helped? hope the surgery goes well for you & definitely try to ride when your able to squash those demons

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes in hindsight I think shin guards wouldve helped.

I'm super bumming out now. Surgery called off last minute. Swelling still bad and now have developed severe fracture blisters. Too risky to cut open now.

I am laid up in Union hospital for another several days. May operate on Friday. I am definitely in Hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll
    anyone know if the park commission has done a new survey and created a new map? when was it last updated? diesel?
    We have been working with park management regarding a new revised map for Lynn Woods since 2005. The Official map of the park was created back in the early 90s (approx. 1991) under a Mass Dept. Greenways Grant. Since that time, much has changed in the woods. Changing the official City map of Lynn Woods feels like we need an act of god to help. It is not on the radar of City Hall.

Dieselbikes was given the ok to create our own revised map on our website that shows most of the trails with the common names mountain bikers use. This has been used by Lynn fire and police for e-vacs from the woods.

Dieselbikes is scheduled to meet with the park commission in Dec. regarding permits for our 2010 events and will inquire about an updated map.

Politics are in play...this is why a new map has not been created yet. The story is long and I could write a book about it, but we are still working this matter for the riding community.
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbikes
    ...Dieselbikes was given the ok to create our own revised map on our website that shows most of the trails with the common names mountain bikers use. This has been used by Lynn fire and police for e-vacs from the woods.

Dieselbikes is scheduled to meet with the park commission in Dec. regarding permits for our 2010 events and will inquire about an updated map.
    A new map with trail names would help in locating people when an e-vac is needed. Plenty of people use those woods for recreation so if there was an injury of a lone rider, it'd be difficult for them to describe where they were.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well folks I give up. Insurance is shutting me down here, so I've decided to risk it and return to NYC without having had the surgery. Gonna be a painful trip, but I can't stay away from home any longer (neither can my wife and kid). Hope to find good surgeon back in NYC.

AZ
    banned
    Best wishes and good luck in your recovery .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Why is the insurance co "shutting you down?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No offense to Union Hospital but sometimes small town medicine just doesn't compare to the stuff you get in the big city. If you can endure the ride home, do a little research and get the best doctor you can. Take it from me, there is nothing routine about routine surgery. My tib/fib that should have been a "set it and forget it" left me in the ICU for 5 days and in the hospital another 25. They sent me home after 8 surgeries with a gimp stump of a foot and no one to blame. At least you're going home with a Lynn Woods Limp. Even so, biking is one of the few things I can still do with out any pain or issues. Not sure if I'm cheering you up or knockin you down. Either way, stay positive and good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95
    What happened? Where?
    Wasn't at LW. We were in Lowell and my buddy went down a long, steep rock face and he wasn't lined up right and bailed. He got twisted up in his bike and snapped his leg.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    CIGNA didn't feel it was medically necessary to be in hospital awaiting surgery. Told me to basically wait at home. Pretty retarded but did not have energy to fight, took it as sign to bail on Union Hospital and find someone back in NYC

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    No offense to Union Hospital but sometimes small town medicine just doesn't compare to the stuff you get in the big city. If you can endure the ride home, do a little research and get the best doctor you can. Take it from me, there is nothing routine about routine surgery. My tib/fib that should have been a "set it and forget it" left me in the ICU for 5 days and in the hospital another 25. They sent me home after 8 surgeries with a gimp stump of a foot and no one to blame. At least you're going home with a Lynn Woods Limp. Even so, biking is one of the few things I can still do with out any pain or issues. Not sure if I'm cheering you up or knockin you down. Either way, stay positive and good luck.
    I agree with you, but there are some excellent small town doctors who don't practice at big name institution. Sometimes, it depends on the individual and not the facility. I have doctor friends and they largely feel the same way as I do; that is, don't discredit the quality of the M.D. because he practices in a "smaller" setting. But yes, certainly, small hospitals might not hold the doc as accountable for HOW he practices. My friend was at Union hospital, and from my opinion and for what he tells me, he got good care from a compassionate nursing staff, BUT the problem that I have is the orthopedic doc only saw him 3 days out of the 5 that during when he first stayed in the hospital. During the last two days before discharge, the doc didn't even come in and examine his injury. His condition may have changed in the two days before he was sent home! And it did! Docs are supposed to see a patient EVERY DAY when they are in the hospital.

When he came back to Union a few days later schedule for surgery, the ortho unwrapped his wound and said he wouldn't operate based on how the wound looked. My friend and his family and others were looking forward to getting this resolved, but all our hopes were shattered 9 days after the injury when the surgeon decided not to operate. I spoke to a close surgeon friend last night and we felt that my friend should have been better cared for by the doctor. We also felt there was an underlying insurance issue since he was also laid off from work, so perhaps there was concern of poor medical reimbursement for the treatment.

We all feel that this painful accident was made worse by the type of care he received by the doc. Eleven days after breaking his leg, his leg is still broken, the bones are still shattered in the same way, the pain hasn't subsided and he hasn't been able to ween down his pain medication, he's still in a the same splint that was placed on the first day at Union Hospital ER. We expected quicker treatment. On top of this, he has a wife and 15 month old girl that depend on him. They're stressed out.

We'll still keep our heads up and give him props for enduring all this. I'll tell him to keep the hope up. They're going back to NYC today to seek a new orthopod.

By the way, you must have your own story to tell about what happened to your leg.
    Last edited by Aust95; 11-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsyteng
    CIGNA didn't feel it was medically necessary to be in hospital awaiting surgery. Told me to basically wait at home.

I feel your Pain, I have CIGNA too
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    "the stuff" I was referring to is indeed the facilities rules and practices. Not really the doctors abilities. Even so, had he been at Mass General I bet he would have been seen more often. If the doctor in Lynn was worth anything he wouldn't need the hospital to dictate the standard of care your friend gets. It would be in his nature. And if it was he would probably be making more money at a better hospital

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jsyteng
    I'm a very fit guy but dont have the archetypal mtb build. I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs so definitely bulkier with lots of mass. I do alot of aggressive XC but nothing on the same scale as LW.

Aust95 will be returning to the scene sometime soon to review the crash site. From what I remember I was going over a smallish boulder but then immediately hit another one. O popped up in air, lost control of bike, right leg was pinned under my bike and everything came down on top of it.
    I'm curious if you were riding clipless pedals or not and if you think that could have played a part in crash and injury? I go back and forth between clipless and platforms but at a place like Lynn I will use platforms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    I'm curious if you were riding clipless pedals or not and if you think that could have played a part in crash and injury? I go back and forth between clipless and platforms but at a place like Lynn I will use platforms.
    He was riding clipless and, while he is fully comfortable with them getting in and out, he fell quickly and unexpectedly that being in the pedal was a factor in trapping his lower leg under the bike.

I prefer riding clipless in LW mainly because it's the only way I can make the toughest climbs. I've used platforms and like them for rollers and drops--easier to bail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Back in NYC. Surgery scheduled for Monday morning. Wish me luck!

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast