Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Lynn Woods Buffed roll

Thanks to the trail crew who manicured the roll on Sweeney. Nicely done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynn Woods Buffed roll-sweeeeeen.jpg  

Last edited by Scarsandtears; 08-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Photo retry
    Last edited by Scarsandtears; 08-20-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: deleting
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's a roll?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yup, steep but smooth.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice! Man, that thing sucked before. It was doable, but sure as hell wasn't fun.

Black Lion
    manicured????
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    MikeH is all over that like vivah on margaritas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    manicured????
    Oh it's manicured. The mess is cured, and it's a manly roll!
    Greg u been riding?
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    that roller is night and day now. super smooth compared to the jarring tranfer it was before.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Oh it's manicured. The mess is cured, and it's a manly roll!
    Greg u been riding?
    been riding just not at the LW
    Voltron

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    That looks fuuuuuuun!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'm sure I'll get some hate for this but the grooming king of took away a good piece of the challenge on this. You really don't even have to think about it now, just point and go. I'm sure this will get a lot more people to ride it but I always fear too much manicuring.

But with that said, if we can manicure things, how about some legit gap jumps on a few of the long descents!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    I'm sure I'll get some hate for this but the grooming king of took away a good piece of the challenge on this. You really don't even have to think about it now, just point and go. I'm sure this will get a lot more people to ride it but I always fear too much manicuring.
    I totally agree! This roll was ridable to begin with and a good challenge in its NATURAL form. Why alter the landscape that which makes Lynn Woods unique to begin with? Sort of takes the edge out of what makes the place so good. Once altered, don't know if we can ever get that natural element back again.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Even though that roller before was pretty shitty I do kind of agree. Especially since if you wanted an easy roller you can just go 10 feet to the left on the same rock.

Man that roller was shitty before though... or at least on a hardtail or a 5" travel trail bike. Probably was actually okay on a DH/freeride bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just out of curiosity...who makes these decisions to alter the trails? And do the park ranger(s) know about what's being done? In other words, are these legitimate changes?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

But with that said, if we can manicure things, how about some legit gap jumps on a few of the long descents!
    I totally agree with you on almost everything at LW, but this roll was a mess at the bottom IMHO. It was doable but rough at best. Agree with keeping the natural, natural.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I totally agree with you on almost everything at LW, but this roll was a mess at the bottom IMHO. It was doable but rough at best. Agree with keeping the natural, natural.
    Yeah, I saw a few pretty nasty roll outs on the bottom of it. I can see why it was pretty tempting to fill it in, my fork will appreciate it! I've blown through my travel plenty of times when I didn't quite have the right angle.

I'd like to find a place where we have free reign to build anything without too much red tape, I'm sure it'd have to be private, but it would be neat to get some legitmate north shore (BC) style stuff going without having to drive to Highland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd like to find a place where we have free reign to build anything without too much red tape, I'm sure it'd have to be private, but it would be neat to get some legitmate north shore (BC) style stuff going without having to drive to Highland.
    I completely agree except for the fact the Highland doesn't really have any north shore style stuff. When I think North Shore I think steep/big rollers, and sketchy built up wood stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It would have to be private for sure. I sometimes get nervous with some of the building popping up here and there in LW. I sure don't want to ruffle the Ranger and threaten our access. LW is such a gem as it is, working WITH the ranger is the best way to make trail improvements in LW. Diesel Bikes had a great working relationship with the Ranger. I do hope they get back into trail work as they did a great job. I do know the Ranger frowns upon and does not allow "building" of stunts only allowing natural features found in and on trail.
    B&T has some built features and is on some private land. I have never rode there, and you may need permission to access the trails.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinF View Post
    I completely agree except for the fact the Highland doesn't really have any north shore style stuff. When I think North Shore I think steep/big rollers, and sketchy built up wood stuff.
    Good point. I heard B&T's was working some of that angle but had to tear a lot down, people mention ramp o'rama a lot, but that was before my MA days. I enjoy what we have but would be all for some bigger challenges if it could come to fruition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rode the new buffed out roller for the first time today. It's stupid IMO, feels just like the tilted roller 20 feet to the left. Honestly I would just prefer to do the tilted roller. They built it up too much and made it way too easy. Such a waste of hard work.

(All just my opinions of course. And seeing that I have never actually helped out on a trail day before I have absolutely no right to complain)

By the way, you guys know the giant built up roller near the powerlines, right in the Eiffel tower area? The one that someone moved a few huge rocks to make a better transition. People started rolling like 3 feet over with absolutely no transition rocks. Fuggin' ridiculous. Any idea who it was?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure which roller you are talking about?? People moving rocks was an issue last year, sounds like that same idiot or idiots is back at it...
    Can you clarify which roll?
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not sure which roller you are talking about?? People moving rocks was an issue last year, sounds like that same idiot or idiots is back at it...
    Can you clarify which roll?

Here's an old school pic I found. Wooden ramp has been gone for years and now someone built up a rock transition.

What's wrong with the rock transitions? I like them when they make something that wasn't doable possible (or at least possible with a DH bike and massive balls). Does the ranger have an issue with them? I thought the issue was only built up wood stuff, and that moving a few rocks to make a smooth transition was sort of allowed. (The new roller above spacemonkey is in such an obvious place that I figured the ranger must not care too much)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ah, ok I know it well. I haven't been there in a bit, will check it this weekend.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinF View Post
    Here's an old school pic I found. Wooden ramp has been gone for years and now someone built up a rock transition.

I remember that one well. You came over the top blind, and man did that ramp look small. Looked like severe consequences if you missed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast