mtbr member

Ludlow Reservoir Map

I am attaching a map of the trail network in Ludlow. There are some good trails, including some nice single track, but it needs to be ridden.

There is some climbing, good decents, and some nice challenges. The trails can be raw at times because they do not get alot of traffic. There are also some jeep roads and a couple powerline roads (WL and EL - West line and East line). The map I am including is also a bit raw. A final map will be created during a planned epic somtime next month.

I am releasing this map with hopes that some of you will ride the single track to track it down a bit. We've named a bunch of the trails over the period of time we've ridden them; but they are not official or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ludlow Reservoir Map-ludlow-map-current.jpg  

Last edited by Pauldotcom; 07-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    One correction that needs to be applied is that this in no way incorporates the Ludlow Reservoir as those trails are off-limits. ;-) No, they're the Ludlow Facing Rock trails, or Warrior Trails as me and the few riders who hit them call them. They are raw and they also see quad and dirt-bike traffic in places. But the potential here is astronomical. Only recently have we expanded and made some new trails, but the sky is the limit as the size of the area is vast and the terrain can be smooth singletrack, jeep trail, techy and rocky.

So if you have a time to ride then check them out or if you want a guide, myself and Paul would be happy to show you around and hopefully we can develop this area into what it can be and that's another awesome Western Mass MTB trail network. But these trails need to be ridden!!!

mtbr member
    And actually anything we build here will only ever be single-track. So that's good, the powerlines carry most engine traffic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Do you guys have permission to build trails here?

mtbr member
    Everything we've worked on has been pre-existing. The trails just need tidied up.

mtbr member
    Most of its walking trails and some of its double track. To answer your question, I've never seen anyone working on them, but when I ride there, I do pick stuff up off the trail. There was a section of trail that cannot be accessed anymore because of the storms last year.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

parking?

Thanks for the map guys! I tried to match your map with a town map. Is the trail head at the end of Bridle St.? And the trail you marked "PH" is not on reservoir property? I don't want to take a turn and end up going where I shouldn't be. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I park at the end of bridle.

Im not sure about the location of the PH trail (Puke hill, dont ask) but there arn't any signs saying you cannot ride there. The resivior area has signs where you cannot ride.

mtbr member
    The Puke Hill loop takes you close to the reservoir but you can see a hard left (if doing it counter-clockwise) that leads to a decent climb then a descent back down to the powerlines. If you don't take that left then you ride a derailleur killing trail down to the reservoir.

It was named Puke Hill as I guess a group of riders back in the day had one guy who had hit the sauce pretty heavy the night before and so yacked up on the climb!

With regards to being allowed to build trails, what is different with Bachelor and Earls? Is there a body you need to contact to build there or is it anything goes? Would love to try and build onto these existing trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermullet View Post
    Everything we've worked on has been pre-existing. The trails just need tidied up.
    My apologies for insinuating that you guys have been building or planning on building trails here.

I really have no idea how I could have come to the conclusion, I must have mis-read something. Please forgive me

Only recently have we expanded and made some new trails, but the sky is the limit as the size of the area is vast and the terrain can be smooth singletrack, jeep trail, techy and rocky.

And actually anything we build here will only ever be single-track.

mtbr member
    No problem, man. But do you know how Bachelor and Earls can be built so easily? We want to make sure we do things right. Those models would be good to follow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No problem, man. But do you know how Bachelor and Earls can be built so easily? We want to make sure we do things right. Those models would be good to follow.
    B-street and Earls are legit as far as I know and where built by NEMBA. Have you ever seen the official Holyoke Rage State Forrest map, most of the Bstreet trails are on that map with the correct names. How would that happen if they were pirate built trails? However I am also pretty sure a coupe of those trails may have been built on the DL.

You know the trail IMBA? Do you know where that name comes from? It was the first trail built at B street with the assistance of the International Mountain Bikers Association. The local NEMBA guys took over from there.

There is a new trail system being built up near Bershire East right now by NEMBA. That group of trail builders up there really know their ****. You should volunteer and do some trail construction with them so you can learn how to build a sustainable trail. Then with the help of NEMBA contact the land manager or owner for the land you guys want to build a trail system on and go from there.

It's great that you guys have the time and energy to build a trail system. Just make sure you go about it the right way so it doesn't reflect poorly on the MTB community as a whole.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    B-street and Earls are legit as far as I know and where built by NEMBA. Have you ever seen the official Holyoke Rage State Forrest map, most of the Bstreet trails are on that map with the correct names. How would that happen if they were pirate built trails? However I am also pretty sure a coupe of those trails may have been built on the DL.

You know the trail IMBA? Do you know where that name comes from? It was the first trail built at B street with the assistance of the International Mountain Bikers Association. The local NEMBA guys took over from there.

There is a new trail system being built up near Bershire East right now by NEMBA. That group of trail builders up there really know their ****. You should volunteer and do some trail construction with them so you can learn how to build a sustainable trail. Then with the help of NEMBA contact the land manager or owner for the land you guys want to build a trail system on and go from there.

It's great that you guys have the time and energy to build a trail system. Just make sure you go about it the right way so it doesn't reflect poorly on the MTB community as a whole.
    Perfect answer Tim. Ginger, PM me if you want some tips on working with landowners etc, or to see what we're creating in Charlemont.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you want an idea of what a couple of dudes can build on their own (no help from CT NEMBA) but in cooperation with the land manager, go check out Millers Pond in CT. Bad ass trail system with over a 100 log rides and too many rollers and drops to count. The trails are also really technical. One of the best spots in New England!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Perfect answer Tim. Ginger, PM me if you want some tips on working with landowners etc, or to see what we're creating in Charlemont.
    Doubt you remember me from last weekend as there were lots of people at the Wendell ride. I was the youngish guy with the raw 5Spot....AKA Murph's apprentice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not positive, but am pretty sure that the Bachelor Street and Earl's Trails networks exist on lands owned by 1) Hampshire College, 2) Amherst College, 3) the DCR, and 4) a number of private landowners. I believe Earl still works at Hampshire, and presumably he built those trails with the blessings of the relevant landowners. I believe the B-Street trails were built by NEMBA, as Tim M has stated. As far as I know, no one should be building new trails at either place, and the only recent legit changes I know of are Swiss Miss at Earl's and a few post-storm re-routes at B-street, though trails like Margin Call at Earl's seem to get rediscovered every so often after getting overgrown.

It definitely doesn't seem to be "anything goes" at either place. In fact I've wondered if the reason the longstanding Holyoke Range map seems to have been taken offline is because of recent trail-braiding and so forth at both places. (I have no evidence as to this conclusion, just a thought.)

mtbr member
    This thread is starting to suck. I just wanted to post a map of trails I ride at Ludlow and for others to enjoy them also (the more that ride, the better the trails are).

It's raining now; but glad I got my ride in this morning.

Let's leave the legal jargon to the experts and ride!

mtbr member
    I'm with Paul, lets stick to what this thread is about: LET'S RIDE LUDLOW!!!

If the People's Epic is rained out tomorrow, I'm gonna hit Ludlow. Any takers??

mtbr member
    No worries red top - THE EPIC IS ON!! WOOOT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pauldotcom, were do the ludlow trails start, I grew up in Monson and venture home now and then and would love to check them out, thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    They start at Bridle st and the end there is a parking entrance. There are other spots but that's the only one I've ever parked at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post

I'm pretty sure NEMBA has no affiliation with the trails being built in Charlemont.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    I'm pretty sure NEMBA has no affiliation with the trails being built in Charlemont.
    What gives you that idea? NEMBA is one of the 4 key partners in the project... 3 land owners and a trail construction and advocacy organization. Pretty sure everyone who knows NEMBA recognizes two of these individuals as key NEMBA figures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ludlow Reservoir Map-cts-first-meeting.jpg  

Last edited by hado_pv; 08-01-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...