mtbr member
    May 2008

Lowell-Dracut Town Forest

Rode here for the first time yesterday. Entered the trails through some singletrack about 100 yards past the main gate. I had a blast, but about 6 miles in i burped a tire and decided to call it quits since I forget to bring a pump with me. Lots of cool rock features and fun trails from what I could tell. Anyone have any recommendations on what to ride in there?

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Many of the trails are not on any map. Your best bet is to find a leader or join the ride there every Tuesday night.

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    I have two maps of Lowell-Dracut. One from 5/26/2012 was an exploratory ride of the single track trails around the park. It is by no means complete but gives you an idea of where you can go. The other map is from 5/18/2013, this map shows how to get to the two downhill trails at the park.

Both maps have freely downloadable GPX files and Google maps for your viewing pleasure. See the right hand side of the page here: Startbiking : Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro State Forest
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the input guys. I didn't follow the map there, I just used the anytrail app on my phone so I could find my way back and explored freely.

mtbr member
    If you use Strava, the trail segments are pretty well identified.

Wonkavator (some call it Hellavator) is a good climb and the DH back down is a ton of fun.
    Grumpus is easily my favorite trail there. I like riding it in both directions but I prefer from North to South (clockwise).

If you get and explore, you'll start to find your way around pretty well. It doesn't hurt to have a GPS app on your phone to get you going in the right direction after exiting a trail. I got a little confused about which way to go on my first few trips there.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member

Never a bad ride @ Lowell-Dracut

Highly under-rated, I think.

Bountiful S-turns in there. Fast & flowy.

Also some serious rock faces and gardens. Glad I had my Nomad.

I did 12+ miles by doubling back. Here's my RunKeeper route:

There and back again.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Hellavator is the real name. Wonkavator is just some stupid made up Strava name.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    LDT trails are some of the funnest I've ridden, and I've been on a few.
    Great use of the terrain, a good time for anybody from a strong beginner to an experienced rider.

Tuesday nite NEMBA ride goes on regularly there; never had a bad time on that one.

Dracut state forest Tuesday night ride series 2013 edition

mtbr member
    Used to ride there 2-3 times a week til my girlfriend got bit by a local dog walking around off leash..kinda killed the fun of it. Great trails tho

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any advice on direction coming in from the Lowell side? I'm a UMASS student and have been itching to get out there but have no idea where to go or what the best routes are. All maps I find seem very vague and trails are unmarked. Maybe a veteran of the trails could direct me a bit.

mtbr member
    edit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins617 View Post
    Any advice on direction coming in from the Lowell side? I'm a UMASS student and have been itching to get out there but have no idea where to go or what the best routes are. All maps I find seem very vague and trails are unmarked. Maybe a veteran of the trails could direct me a bit.

personally,i've always entered near the lowell hospital. At the lights on the boulevard before the hospital,there's a left hand turn (with the hospital in front of you and to the left) a ways down there is a road, I cannot remember the name but its on the right, and there's the actual parking lot for the trails. Once you go thru the gate there's a killer trail on the left that you can take, or you can enter the park itself and find some singletrack. Sorry, I know that's not much help but i havent been there in a while

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No I really appreciate it, I've read all the rave reviews but I ended up going in through some odd entrance behind a farm. Wish they had trail markers, the ones I did hit were pretty cool though. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins617 View Post
    No I really appreciate it, I've read all the rave reviews but I ended up going in through some odd entrance behind a farm. Wish they had trail markers, the ones I did hit were pretty cool though. Thanks for the help
    When you first get in there, there's a fork on the main road, stick to the right.. Most of the trails I ride are on that side. You an also hop directly onto the trails right at the parking lot but i've never done it that way

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    Park here: 62-152 Trotting Park Rd Lowell, MA 01854 (GPS: 42.656316, -71.37076)

Once parked, go through the gate that is at the end of the parking area. Once through the gate, turn left onto the trails. These singletrack trails go for a while and snake through the park. They aren't really marked well. They will eventually take you back across the fireroad that splits the park and can lead you back to the parking lot.

You can also, split off the singletrack trails and get over to the DH trails if you so choose. Check out any of my maps and description. If you need more help let me know.

Startbiking : Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro State Forest
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replys everyone! very helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I work in Lowell. Started going there riding during lunch break. Great trails!
    2013 Raleigh Talus 29 Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A great place to ride. I did end up getting super lost on my last ride over off of Athea/Aletha road

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup. LDT is great but it really helps to have someone show you around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Went to LDT today for the first time by myself and didn't have much trouble finding my way around. Had to use strava a little bit but it was totally manageable. Did 17 miles in 2 hours and had a blast. Rode up the hellavator then down the berm trail (got some major air off one of the jumps, glad I had my big bike) then proceeded to cruise over to "deer hunter", "paintball war", and "gumpus".. all those trails are so awesome. Spent a half hour riding around the paintball area practicing rollers and technical climbing.. really fun.

Tempted to go out again tomorrow but my knee is telling me not to