mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Looking for a place to ride in or around Boston?

I will be in the Boston Area starting July 29th till the 5th of August. I would like to do some riding, since I am already will be there. I plan on renting a bike and maybe spend a better part of a day just doing my locals trails here in California. Thanks in advance if I forget to say it.

Just a flesh wound
    Where in the Boston area? I am South of the city and there is a lot of riding near me.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am willing to go almost anywhere within an hours drive. I wil actually be in Woburn. I have read about the Fells. It seems like a decent place to go riding. I will have a rental car so traveling won't be a problem.

I probably will rent a bicycle at JRA, if there is any other places

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 06:23 AM.

rack admirer

Consider Andover

Being from California, you will understand traffic which can influence your ride location choices from Woburn. +1 on JRA to source a bike. Once that is settled, consider Harold Parker State Park. Here is a map http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/M..._wicked_05.pdf
    Googlemap the intersection of Jenkins Rd and Harold Parker Rd. Park there. GB NEMBA used to lead a ride out of there on Thursday nights. Great group. I live south of the city but was working near Woburn. After work and before my commute home I rode the fells, but preferred HP. If you are interested, I can show you some riding in Blue Hills, about 10 miles south of the city. Not so much single track, but it has the most vertical in the area. Nice city views, too. I was in SF 2 months ago and people were good to me there and on this board. You seem ready to drive, so consider Viet Nam at the intersection of Rt 495 and 85 in Milford. You can get a map off the BVNemba site. If you are solo, check with riders in the parking lots of either HP or Nam for tips or to tag along. We are an inclusive group. don't forget bug spray.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would consider hitting one of the NEMBA rides at Russel Mill in Chelmsford (Fridays) or Lowell (Tues). Super fun trails and good folks.

Upcoming Events - Merrimack Valley | NEMBA
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    if you will be in woburn you will be right on top of some insane singletrack
    (burlington res/sawmill brook) next town over

also woburn is Fells too....

what is your ability ? I can show you a 14 miler which will be 110% worth it, but it is expert terrain at intermediate pace...in other words not beginner. no jumping but LOTS of pedaling
    I would say an intermediate/expert rider. This sounds like a good start. email me your info and when it gets closer we can figure a good day. my email is danmtchl@pacbell.net

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I cannot ride on Friday Aug 1st, going to Red Sox game and touristy stuff with family and Sunday the 3rd, going to NYC with family to do some more touristy stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 for Russell Mill in Chelmsford for some good variety and a few great features. Landlocked Forest in Burlington has lots of fast and fun singletrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Russell mill is great and relatively local. Don't discount the western greenway for a quick slice of singletrack that bests 2/3 of what you'd have to drive to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 07-23-2014 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Where are you from in California? I grew up in the Bay Area and riding around there definitely didn't prepare me for the riding around here. The trails around here are very twisty and punchy, lots of up and down with very little sustained of either. Lots of roots, lots of small rocks, and a f'ing ton of bugs.

You'll actually be in a great spot to access most of the good riding north of the city. I currently live south of the city but still make the trip to get to Landlocked Forest, Mill Pond/Sawmill Brook, or Russell Mill and Great Brook State Park. Russell Mill is more or less a dedicated MTB area with very well built and maintained trails. It's not very big, but you can link the trails in a variety of ways and they're trails I don't mind repeating. You can also ride over to Great Brook State park, which has a bunch of decent trails as well.

There are weekly rides to Landlocked Forest from Ride Studio Cafe in Lexington. Absolutely join up for a couple to get to know the trails - and likely other people to ride with.

A bit further away is Willowdale State Park. Smoother, twisty, with great flow. But bring a GPS or you'll get turned round. I've also heard great things about Harold Parker or Lynn Woods, but have never gone. If you find anyone to show you around, let me know and I'll come join! (Disclaimer: I'm not fast.)

South of the city you have Vietnam, where you'll find some of the biggest features in the area. I also go to Needham Town Forest quite a bit. Very rocky and twisty, and decently technical. Further out you have Wompatuck, Otis, and much more.

Check out NEMBA.org for a decent list.

Also, take a weekend and go up to Kingdom Trails. Don't as questions, just DO IT.