mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for people to ride with

I have a couple friends I ride with but we're looking to meet some new people and try some new trails. We aren't looking for anything crazy, we just got back into biking last year.

We ride Freetown SF but haven't found any decent trails yet. We found some singletrack in Myles Standish SF. We're mostly located between Taunton and New Bedford and our main bike shop in Serious Cycles in Plymouth. (we haven't tried the trails across the street from the bike shop yet)

Weekends are about the only time we can all coordinate together, let me know if you ride anywhere nearby and want to meet up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im in the same boat here, looking for more people to ride with. I ride massasoit a lot because it is close for me, but I will go anywhere in the area. I could do something on a Sunday.
    Serious Cycles is a great shop, Seth is a good dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I haven't been to Massasoit since I was a little kid.

The weather is looking ok for Sunday so far. I'll see what my friends are doing and keep an eye on the weather, I'll let you know if we're planning anything by Saturday night.

Just a flesh wound

Wow

There is so much to ride here! Otis and Trail of Tears is not too far. You have Foxboro and Grafton. Wompatuck is not so far away. Pine Hills.

We ride Saturday at 8;30 from the lot at Wompatuck in Hingham. 3. 4 , or 8...it's a ride!! 2 hours plus with 12 to 15 fifteen miles.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ive been riding wompatuck for 4 years looking for people to ride with lol. Granted I work weekends, so it really only leaves me tuesdays and thurs evenings. ....Ill be out there this evening.

Hopefully switching jobs soon, def wanna check out the other places listed
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xufima
    I have a couple friends I ride with but we're looking to meet some new people and try some new trails. We aren't looking for anything crazy, we just got back into biking last year.

We ride Freetown SF but haven't found any decent trails yet. We found some singletrack in Myles Standish SF. We're mostly located between Taunton and New Bedford and our main bike shop in Serious Cycles in Plymouth. (we haven't tried the trails across the street from the bike shop yet)

Weekends are about the only time we can all coordinate together, let me know if you ride anywhere nearby and want to meet up.
    once the weather breaks we can hook up for a ride at pinehills if you want. i live like a five minute bike ride from there. place is super fun but does kind benefit from having a little knowledge of the trails so you know what hills are tricky and what the good lines through a couple rock sections are...

i still can't find where the big wooden embankment is though.. i have seen pics of it but still have a couple trails i haven't gone down yet cause some of the hills are jsut ridiculus. i am pretty convinced some of the trails are kind of one way because i just don't see some of the hills being climbed in both directions.

what kind of trails does myles standish and freetown have.

mike
    My buddy and I ride sunday mornings usally in a trail system that we call Holly Wood East (because it was the first pick of the new movie studio to be built) Lucky for us they are building the studio else where. Not many people know about these trails but there are many many miles out there. It is located off of Bourne Road in Plymouth between Sandy Pond Camp Ground and the under pass of 495. We also ride Otis,Pine Hills and Duxbury national Preserve (my favorite) but because Hollywood east is in my back yard that is where we ride most often. I ride my bike there. We usally roll at 7:30AM sundays 2 - 2 1/2 hours. If you're ever interested hit me up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    those trails are more suited for mx bikes not really much tight stuff out there. lots of power lines and intersecting trails that get to and from areas for quads and stuff... if you get a chance try pinehills only like 15min from you but you might have a bit more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Where exactly is pine hills?

In Freetown SF we've only found torn up dirtbike trails and fire roads.

There aren't many trails at Myles Standish, the one I ride is a little overgrown. There's some logs across the trail to prevent trail washouts, the dirt is more sand than silt so the area drains great but it isn't sandy like a beach. There's a loop starting at parking lot 2, you can see it on this map, it's labeled a hiking trail of course but biking is allowed. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mylessummer.gif

mike
    Pine hills is directly across the street from serious cycles in plymout. As for hollywood east. Depending on where you ride there are powerlines. There is a lot of single track out there that is to narrow for quads. It isn't as tight as pinehills but still some good terrain. Again it depends on where you go. My favorite spots are duxbury and otis but because hollywood east is so close and I have a family; that is where I do a lot of mu riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    xufima,

it sounds like you are riding the truck access roads and dirtbike trails... i can only speak from my experience and what i enjoy riding but those wide access roads just isn't any fun i understand sometimes you gotta do it do get form a to b but it usually isn't the funnest part of the day. try pinehills, right across from serious cycles, there is even a little parking area there also. or wompy was pretty good also when i went there. the tigther and more techy the trails are i think the funner they are. i would give pinehills a try and see if you like it, i bet you will like it way better then the two spots you are riding currently. also go to bikerag.com and look at the trail reviews, they have a whole map of tons of places to ride with directions and trail maps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There is some sweet riding at Freetown, trouble is that it such a big place and there is *so much* crap (mostly swampy muck and torn up dirtbike trails) between the good stuff, that is difficult to find. The lack of trail names doesn't help either.

The map below shows a bunch of GPS tracks overlaid onto the DCR trail map (available on the FSF website). The trails highlighted in red are those that I particularly like. You need to piece them together with some fireroads, but it is enough to keep you busy for a few hours.

Word of caution: The maps shows a handful of "wetland" areas. Those areas and the trails adjacent really are wet (i.e., swampy, mucky messes) at all but the driest time of the year (like late august after a drought).

I'd be happy to lead a ride to show some folks around on a Sat or Sun morning (~8-9 am start) after the recent rains have time to drain. Reply to this or send a PM if interested.

-Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for people to ride with-export2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    ... We ride Saturday at 8;30 from the lot at Wompatuck in Hingham. 3. 4 , or 8...it's a ride!! 2 hours plus with 12 to 15 fifteen miles.
    Hey Prophet Julio, is this ride open to all? Does it happen every Sat?

Ant

mtbr member
    Antonio,
    If your looking for a Saturday AM ride, I will be doing a fairly consistent one. If your game for next week let me know, I'm thinking about HP.

Anthony

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like I'm not going out today, feeling sick.

mtbr member
    Hey Anthony! How's your Yeti coming along?

Not next weekend, but definitely game for the weekend(s) after that. What time were you thinking of starting?

mtbr member
    I like to get started around 8:30 - 9:00; that sound good? The Yeti is great, I'm going to build it back up again for the season on Friday. I also built my old Kona back up as a SS, its alot of fun.

We typically ride every Saturday AM so let me know when your game.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride mostly in the Freetown forest ( just got back from an 18 mile ride today) , and I'll agree there are quite a bit of fireroads and beat up dirtbike trails, but there are also plenty of trails that are rideable. I dont mind the fireroads as it provides a bit of a warm up before hitting the trails, and a somewhat relaxing ride on the way back to the car.

There are some decent trails off Copicut Road, as well as behind the dirtbike parking lot off of Bell Rock road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Saturday morning I'm looking to try Pine Hills, bringing 1-3 people. If anyone that knows the trails wants to come that would be great. We haven't decided on a time yet but it will most likely be late morning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i am not a perfect guide but wouldn't mind taging along if it is ok.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

and join in on some trail work. You'll meet lots of good people and learn about the trails at the same time

Just a flesh wound

Sure it is

Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Hey Prophet Julio, is this ride open to all? Does it happen every Sat?

Ant
    Antonio, sorry for the slow response, I missed the post. We have a regular crew that goes out of the main lot (Wompatuck) at 8:30. I've been up skiing a lot so I've missed it, but Peter and Mark are almost always there. There are 6 regulars and a few less regular.

Feel free to join us. Post up and we'll figure out how to connect.

mike
    Xufima,did you guys make it to Pine Hills this past saturday? How was it? i just rhode hollywood east saturday morning. I just put some 2010 WTB weirwolfs on last week. Fantastic tires. The things grip very well and roll crazy fast compared to my old velociraptors

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    not sure if he made it or not. i only saw one group out there and i didn't see any other cars when i was there from like 10-12

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We made it out around 11, a little later than we had hoped. Everything was nice and dry out there but we could have used a guide, I blame our local flooding for our late departure.

It was a good ride, we found a rock garden and a lot of wooden structures that we weren't up to trying yet. The heat really got to us though so we left around 1.