mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Looking for 8-15miles of Single Track

My wife and I have started riding again after a 5-6 year break (career, life, etc.) and we frequent Foxboro and Douglas SP trails. However after yesterday's 10 miler in Douglas in which my wife determined that miles 5-7 were a rock garden death march (hike a bike for her) we are looking for some "more ridable" single track.

Rock gardens happen in New England however miles of nothing but rocks isn't enjoyable for us. I am semi-familiar with some of the state land out in Western MA as I hike that area in the fall with my dog, but I do not know of any good loops.

We are open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Steve

mtbr member
    Go to hodges/ greenbrier in oxford ma. Hodges dam and Greenbrier park both have parking. Its a realitively easy trail system but I always have fun ripping around in there. I ride there atleast once a week. Dirt bikes are allowed on parts of the trails so just be alert for them.

Also Rayburn in millbury might be an option. Its considerably harder than hodges but doesnt have huge stretches of rock gardens. I ll be bringing a beginner rider there soon so I ll try and report back of what she thinks of riding rayburn.

mtbr member
    Where are you coming from? Are you looking to stay in the Blackstone Valley/Southern MA?

Yea, I hear Douglas is brutal. Like Strangeland said, Oxford and Rayburn are excellent options. Rayburn has more single track but is tougher. Another fun place is Upton SF. It isn't very technical but has some tough climbs (and fun downs). Check out www.bvnemba.org for the weekly Wednesday group rides. They are all abilities and are at a different spot every week. This week I think it is going to be in Northboro.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Douglas is miserable unless you have a very well marked loop-lots of riding but hard to navigate. Rayburn is fun but depending on your fitness and which part of the trail you ride- it can either be fun or exhausting ( i rode there today on my SS and it was exhausting!) For smooth flowy trails ( double track and singletrack) I would suggest either the river trails in Uxbridge/ Northbridge or Vietnam. Uxbridge/ Northbridge has lots o flat flowy trails ( good tight singletrack) but also quit a few hills and techish sections to make it fun ( PM me if you are interested in a tour I have a nice 25 mile loop! ) Vietnam is a huge area with all types of trails ( not just freeride as many people like to think) that are easy to spend the day on and hard to get to lost in. Nam has loads of good Xc style trails ( challenging but not ridiculous) that are very fun and enjoyable to ride. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks Guys

Douglas is......well, it is what it is......some fire roads that split the park down the middle with some nice smaller loops of single track. My problem (according to my wife....who I of course agree with ) was that I chose to explore the largest single track loop I could find and it was a rockin' roller coaster, I swear it was 75% up hill for a few miles and enouh rocks to pave a road to Boston.

We are not necessarily limited to that area, although we live in Attleboro so major treks to western MA and northern MA are limited to weekends but we are more than open to all ideas.

I'll have to try the rides you guys have mentioned at some point.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There's always Otis and Trail of Tears on the Cape, I think they can offer anything you could want from easy to challenging without too much searching. And it is easy to get a good loop.

blet drive
    if you want to hit up millbury give me a hit i can show you some loops
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.