Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: look out

blet drive

Upset look out

there are a lot of four wheelers out in the old amc paxton trails.. they are realy jerks of riders .. no respect.. not only that but they are sitting in the mud and just throteling it to watch the mud fly everywear.. the ruts are insane.. well there gose some really good single track... whow do we end it??
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

backwoods and backwards
    Dealing with the same issue in Somers CT. I was told by the DEP cops to call the same hotline that I would to report poaching or dumping.Jisch, who seems to be the unofficial mayor of the CT/RI forum, also contacted the orginized dirtbike club in the area since they also have a vested interest in keeping the trails open.Tough to control the actions of a couple of renegade, mudslinging morons even if everyone else is on board.Please make sure to post up o CT board if you come up with a positive action to take. Thanks, KLC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Friggin' Texas Wheelchairs are messing up trails all over the state. They just got their asses banned at Georgetown Rowley State Forest b/c of all the problems they caused there. Cutting illegal trails, erosion, riding hiking only trails, spooking horses and racing by walkers. I think it was one of the last legal places for them to ride, so now they're probably going to be out trashing all sorts of trails.... Too lazy to pedal, too uncoordinated to ride 2 wheels.... Lame, lame, lame....

mtbr member
    I took these the other day at Ribbon Candy (Plumbers Landing) in Uxbridge, MA. It looks like it was caused by a single quad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mdc
    mtbr member
    Woodsguy, you should check out the back side of Goat Hill in Uxb. - it is even worse. The ruts are so deep , and the ground is so wet, that the ATV ruts have now become 6 inch deep streams running with fast paced water and little waterfalls. ugh...

blet drive
    so what now especialy if its a nice quite locals place.. if you know what i mean

I wear two thongs
    Just Keep reporting them every time you see them eventually the people taking the reports will get annoyed and have to start cracking down somehow.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

blet drive
    then we might not havew our sweet spot any more.

Who are the brain police?
    Are they riding legally? If not, report them to the police. ...Say you are a hiker, not a MTBer. Your words will carry more weight that way.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think what junglekid5 is trying to say is we aren't supposed to be riding there either. Are the damaged trails near the top or by the end of Camp St?

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie
    I think what junglekid5 is trying to say is we aren't supposed to be riding there either. Are the damaged trails near the top or by the end of Camp St?
    it is threw the hole park of the old amc. no they are legal trails but the amc chapter sold its building so know one is to positive howl long it will stay open.. so i hope the 4 wheelers dont ruin it

vw_steggie were are you from??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    it is threw the hole park of the old amc. no they are legal trails but the amc chapter sold its building so know one is to positive howl long it will stay open.. so i hope the 4 wheelers dont ruin it

vw_steggie were are you from??

From the metropolis of Paxton. I rode up there a couple weeks ago and it was a mud pit, so I guess much hasn't changed. I plan to check it out again Friday.

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie
    From the metropolis of Paxton. I rode up there a couple weeks ago and it was a mud pit, so I guess much hasn't changed. I plan to check it out again Friday.
    hit me up some time to ride..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    hit me up some time to ride..

You don't want to ride with me, I'm not very good.

mtbr member
    I totally agree with everyone, it sucks when they tear up nice trails, but look at it from their side. . .4 wheelers have been banned from most states in the northeast. So they really have no where legal to ride. Maybe instead of just fighting them, we can help them find places where they can ride. That way everyone is happy and we get nice trails. Who cares if they are buzzin hikers, as long as no one gets hurt its all good.

blet drive
    i agree that they need some were for the 4 wheelers to ride just not the nice single track that we work hard to maintain. we need to do like they do out west and designate trails for them to ride on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail
    I totally agree with everyone, it sucks when they tear up nice trails, but look at it from their side. . .4 wheelers have been banned from most states in the northeast. So they really have no where legal to ride. Maybe instead of just fighting them, we can help them find places where they can ride. That way everyone is happy and we get nice trails. Who cares if they are buzzin hikers, as long as no one gets hurt its all good.
    So we should be cool to them b/c they were stupid enough to spend $4-8K on machines that they had nowhere to ride legally? Screw them, from what I've seen, they tear up everywhere they go. All this, "It's just a few bad apples ruining it for the rest," is total BS. Heavy motorized vehicles rip and destroy trails, especially in muddy, wet conditions, i.e. New England. All in all a bad user group.

Bunches of them are now heading up to NH and VT since Georgetown/Rowley was closed. (Keep in mind, this is the "responsible" group that isn't riding where they're banned, tearing up singletrack, watershed, dams, and fragile ecosystems.) From what I hear, locals up North are getting ticked off at all the "white-platers" coming up and screwing up the trails. Wait and see if NH starts refusing to allow out-of-staters to ride/trash NH atv trails. And "who cares if they're buzzing hikers"?!?! Typical of an attitude and disrespect for others that gets user groups banned from trails and open spaces. Hope you don't ride your bike w/ the same sh!tty attitude.

mtbr member
    I personally think if you re concerned about the fragile eco system thats being destroyed by atvs then bicycles dont belong there either. Justify your own hobbies however you have to so you can sleep at night but the fact remains that beautiful single track that your so proud of doesnt belong there anymore than the double ruts from the atvs do. Its a bit hypocritical to say they re in the wrong and youre right when both modes of transporation are doing damage. Either stick to the streets and let the forest grow the way its meant to or make room for everyone.

The problems atvs have other than no where to ride is there are really no clubs like the snowmobilers and MTBers have. So when the atvs are done riding no one is going back in to do simple clean up and maintenance not to mention they have no political support. Flame on people.

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeland2
    I personally think if you re concerned about the fragile eco system thats being destroyed by atvs then bicycles dont belong there either. Justify your own hobbies however you have to so you can sleep at night but the fact remains that beautiful single track that your so proud of doesnt belong there anymore than the double ruts from the atvs do. Its a bit hypocritical to say they re in the wrong and youre right when both modes of transporation are doing damage. Either stick to the streets and let the forest grow the way its meant to or make room for everyone.

The problems atvs have other than no where to ride is there are really no clubs like the snowmobilers and MTBers have. So when the atvs are done riding no one is going back in to do simple clean up and maintenance not to mention they have no political support. Flame on people.
    thats what im saying they need places but we need to fined out how to determain were!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeland2

You're right that bikes, hikers, horses, etc all have an impact on the trails, and, as you point out, the trails themselves are man-made and have an impact. However, ATVs, aka Texas Wheelchairs, and other motorized users have an impact that adversely affects ALL the other user (other than their own) groups and trashes the trails. We have trails in this area that I've been riding for 15+ years. In that time, they've held up to bike, hiker, dog walker, etc traffic fairly well. Have there been spots that needed maintenance or been thrashed by weather flukes, like the Mother's Day rains and flood? ... Of course, but by in large they've held up really well. Recently, as in this spring, ATV activity has grown more rampant, and sections of trail that have been rideable for years have suddenly been turned into 40 and 50 yard long mud bogs... unrideable, unwalkable, and downright irresponsible. Makes the pictures earlier in this thread look tame.

Again, can mountain bikes cause problems, erosion, and mud swale holes?... Yes, but it truly is matter of scale and power. One rider on an atv can do the damage of 50, 100, or even 1000 bike riders with a simple twist of the throttle, negatively impacting every other type of user in a given area.

Hypocritical? Not by a long shot.
    Last edited by Plummit; 05-04-2007 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Yea, that is like saying since we all pollute at least a little we should let factories do what ever they want with our water and air.

blet drive
    the funny thing is there are signs that say no motors aloud

Who are the brain police?
    My last outing in Dogtown was the same thing... Guy and a girl ripping it up on 4 wheelers. I looped around once and found them pounding a few buds. I looped once more and found just the cans. ...Maybe they're allowed to ride there, I don't know. But its weak all the same. ...and how hard would have it been to have taken the darn cans w/ them?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They're not allowed in Dogtown. Went to some land access meetings up that way a few years ago and met some of the members of the Dogtown Advisory Committee. They were already upset by the ATV activity and resulting damage in Dogtown. Getting anyone to enforce the no motorized vehicles policy is the problem, especially in that town, if you know what I mean....

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Plummit
    They're not allowed in Dogtown. Went to some land access meetings up that way a few years ago and met some of the members of the Dogtown Advisory Committee. They were already upset by the ATV activity and resulting damage in Dogtown. Getting anyone to enforce the no motorized vehicles policy is the problem, especially in that town, if you know what I mean....
    Let me know how it turns out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast